The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

My first visit to the local gym..

I've grown tired of working out at home and figured it was time to go down to the local gym and get a free trial. The first observation I had when I walked in was "damn Im small". I think everyone in there had a better physique than me. Anyway, I found a vacant bench and started my workout and was shocked to discover I can lift about 20lbs more with an Olympic set. My weight set at home is like this crappy junior bench with a standard sized barbell that weighs like 10lbs. I struggled to get 195x5 at home my last workout but I managed 215x5 on this bench.

It was funny to see all the stereo-types of the typical gym. I saw a guy with an upperbody like BCC that had chicken legs. A bunch of guys doing set after set of shoulder excercises in the time it took me to do a full upper body workout. The squat rack was only used once by this guy doing shrugs and the only leg excercise of any kind I witnessed was 2 people doing calf raises.

Overall it was a fun experience. The equipment was top notch and an empty squat rack is never a bad thing. I think I will get a membership tomorrow.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It takes a lot of dedication to work out at home.

I bought a power rack/ bench/ pull dow stack last Sept. I felt I wasn't pushing myself as I was in the gym.

I went ahead and joined a gym. I can always use the weights at home on the days that I can't make it to the gym.
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

If I had my own house I'd love to workout at home. I've gotten to the point now that I feel extremely guilty when I don't work out. I'll ride 45 minutes on my bike just to work out.

It's fun to workout at a gym though. There are some funny people there and I always cracka smile at least once.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Welcome to the real world. If you can work out at home, that's great. Most people wind up buying excercise equipment, only to have it become a very expensive coat-rack.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

I would work out at home... if I had a big weight room & all the benches, squat racks, and free weights I needed. I dont *quite* have money for all that, so Ill stick to the gym
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Hey now, don't be hatin' on the shoulder jockeys man.

Quote Originally Posted by -sin-
    I've grown tired of working out at home and figured it was time to go down to the local gym and get a free trial. The first observation I had when I walked in was "damn Im small". I think everyone in there had a better physique than me. Anyway, I found a vacant bench and started my workout and was shocked to discover I can lift about 20lbs more with an Olympic set. My weight set at home is like this crappy junior bench with a standard sized barbell that weighs like 10lbs. I struggled to get 195x5 at home my last workout but I managed 215x5 on this bench.

It was funny to see all the stereo-types of the typical gym. I saw a guy with an upperbody like BCC that had chicken legs. A bunch of guys doing set after set of shoulder excercises in the time it took me to do a full upper body workout. The squat rack was only used once by this guy doing shrugs and the only leg excercise of any kind I witnessed was 2 people doing calf raises.

Overall it was a fun experience. The equipment was top notch and an empty squat rack is never a bad thing. I think I will get a membership tomorrow.
    Cool, grats man.

And yeah, more than half of the funny s*** you hear about on here (chickenleg phenomenon, ab-work on flatbench, etc.) Its ALL TRUE.
    Last edited by AllUp; 07-07-2004 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Replaced "Shenannigans" with "funny s***". :)
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"