Thread: Question Regarding H.I.T(High Intensity Training)

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Question Regarding H.I.T(High Intensity Training)

Hey, has anyone tried or experimented with H.I.T or High Intensity Training the one that consists of working out twice a week and focusing mainly on compound movements. The program I used consited of:
    Monday: Bench Press 2*8
    Squat 1*20
    Barbell Rows 2*8

Thursday: Shoulder Press 2*8
    Deadlift 1*15
    Chin ups 2*8

What I noticed was that I made great strength gains during the four week period that I used this type of training however I didnt noticed significant gains in size or weight. Does anyone have any comments on why this occured. I even tried increasing my caloric intake the last two weeks of the four week period and yet didnt noticed any weight gain.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by shippingandhand
    What I noticed was that I made great strength gains during the four week period that I used this type of training however I didnt noticed significant gains in size or weight. Does anyone have any comments on why this occured.
    That happened because the whole HIT philosophy is based in something that has no relation whatsoever to the hypertrophy process, which is training to failure. Training to failure with such low frequency and volume does result in neural adaptations that lead to strenght gains, but even for that it is far from optimal. In what concerns hypertrophy training each muscle group once a week is in itself a poor choice, so it's one more reason not much happens.
    Last edited by restless; 07-05-2004 at 07:49 PM.

In addition to that, you obviously didn't increase your calories enough if you didn't gain weight.

im actually on that exact program also. I got it off a template and changed the order of the excercises around a little. Ill see how it goes.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Well, there's going to be some die-hard HIT guys here, but most of us don't buy it. It will give you about the crappiest gains possible from a weight lifting program, aside from one that leaves you badly overtrained. Still, it's not the program's fault that you are not gaining weight. That has to do with how much you are eating..

Some people thrive on it, some don't. Personally, one set of full squats done hard and correctly, on an infrequent basis, and that's pretty much the only leg work I do that's worth mentioning. You have to put a lot of time and effort into mastering an exercise before you can do it in only one set.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    i dont buy into HIT because it doesnt work for me personally

i also would not reccomend it for a beginner.

like someone mentioned earlier it takes a while to master an exercise enough and to gain enough muscle control to be able to fully fatigue a muscle with just one all out set.

the form of HIT that i do buy into and see that seems to work better is the dorain yates style of it. Don a few warmup sets and a few lighter working sets then one all out hard set to finish the exercise. i use this from time to time and ive found out that it allows me to fatigue my muscles and still get good results

heres what i did for my squat workout earlier this week

135x10
    225x10
    315x10
    365x20

this was an intense set, but i also used some more exercises in this same format to totally fatigue myself and get some good work in.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"