The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: flax oil

flax oil

can someone recommend a high quality flax oil brand with good fat percentages?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I can only ever find capsules. I want to buy a bottle of the stuff so I can cook with it. I can imagine if olive oil didn't have a tradition in cooking people would put it in capsules and sell it for £10 a box.
    Statistics:

Weight - 171lbs
    Height - 6'1''

Buffzilla, Holland and Barrett sell it in bottles. Here is a link to the product on their website (PDF format). Flax seed oil is unsuitable for cooking at high temperatures as this will destroy the delicate oil. In fact it must be kept in the fridge to keep it from going rancid. Not to mention it tastes pretty foul.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    the percentages of fat are determined by the genetics of the plant

flax does not vary much

Omega Nutrition and Flora are my favourite brands

There are two different oils in discussion here - flax oil and flaxseed oil. Flax oil is unsuitable for cooking, but flaxseed oil is relatively safe so long as the heat isn't very high (so I wouldn't use it for searing or frying, but it could be used for other methods of cooking such as baking). For information, the problems with cooking oils is the amount of oxidation that occurs, which varies between different oils and at different temperatures.

Having said that, as TheGimp rightly pointed out flax and flaxseed oils taste awful, so I'd never cook with them myself; the marginal benefit of using flaxseed over olive oil is outweighed by the minging-ness of the resulting food. Stick to capsules or taking a spoonful from the bottle (in the past I've bought the Holland and Barrett oil that TheGimp linked to above).

Which one is the one that is meant to be taken for the omega 3 fatty purposes? Also, sa stated earlier in this thread, the oils should be kept in the fridge? I went to GNC and there oils were not in the fridge. I had previously also heard that not cooling them in a certain tempertature modifies the structure (or something like that), making it less potent. Buying it from an online source is out of question, as i doubt they would mail it to me in a box filled with dry ice. My intent is not to cook with them, but rather take a spoonful of it to fullfill my fat ratios. So to clarify, when i purchase the oil, it should be properly refridgerated right?

It need only be refridgerated after opening.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect
    There are two different oils in discussion here - flax oil and flaxseed oil.
    I'm not sure I believe this

I think we're talking semantics here

can you show me a company that sells both ?

Actually, my post earlier was unclear and a bit confused - sorry. I'd recently read something to the effect of my post, and posted it here without checking it out further.

Basically, you can buy flaxseed oil in a bottle, or you can grind your own flax seeds up and use the oil from the ground seeds. Freshly grinding your own seeds is apparently healthier (you get a higher level of lignans - phytochemicals - and more fibre).

As far as cooking with the oil, I cannot find the original piece which made the distinction in terms of safety while cooking. The Flax Council of Canada recommends using ground flax seeds in all types of baking etc. (see this page). Personally I don't like the taste, and don't cook with either bought oil or ground seeds.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll check out what I read more thoroughly before I post in future .

[Edit for typos]
    Last edited by Aspect; 07-06-2004 at 03:05 AM.