Thread: Trigger Point

Trigger Point

My doctor has me set up to receive something called Trigger Point Injections to help with my back pain. Does anyone know what this is? Does it hurt?

Yes.

Yes.

I've done a bit of reading on Trigger point therapy, and have received treatment, but not injections.

Just manual therapy is extremely painful. The last time my chiro did it to me, were I able to move, I would have thrown him through a window. The pain is brief, however, and it's worth it.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 06-30-2004 at 03:17 PM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I read that its for tight muscles. But i need it for my bulging discs and my pinched nerve

Trigger point is more about relieving pain than anything else, IMO. Trigger points are like little knots in muscle fibers that cause local and referred pain. Getting them to release relieves pain and stiffness.

I don't see how it would actually treat disk problems, but I'm no expert.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

paul is absolute right... my chiro kinda holds her thumb on knots in my back and it relieves me of the pain.... she always massarges up and down my back,.,,, if only i were single again! lol

Just wonduring how do you get tight parts in muscles? Is it just bits that havent kinda cooled off and relaxed ?

they just called me and i am getting a epidural steroid injection. Anyone know what this is?

Quote Originally Posted by ogarchamplin
    steroid injection
    Juicer.
    j/k.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

My dad gets those injections for his spinal stenosis. Obviously they are not anabolics. They are ant-inflammatory steroids, like cortisone. It reduces swelling so that there is less pressure on your spinal cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirman
    Just wonduring how do you get tight parts in muscles? Is it just bits that havent kinda cooled off and relaxed ?
    It can be caused by injury. The normal defense mechanism for a muscle is to spasm. Once you have a spasm, you have pain. Then with pain, you have more of a spasm, and then with more of a spasm, you have more pain,etc etc etc....Its called the pain-spasm cycle.