The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Picked the wrong Major!!!

I know I have asked you guys different things, and some of your advice has helped me more than you will never know. I really could use some advice on one more issue. Basically, I am semester away from getting a degree in a bull**** major. I tried to take the easy rode, and now I realize that I will be struggling for the rest of my life because this diploma doesnít really do anything for me. (Art of Television and Radio, minor in Marketing). My mom is actually an accountant for a Pharmacy branch, where I currently work as a Pharmacy Technician (nothing to do with my major). Coming out of High School, I really wanted to be a Pharmacist, but a horrible SATís score, and an average of 78, didnít get me accepted into any of the Pharmacy Schools. My current school didnít have a Pharmacy Program. Next thing I know, itís the end of my Sophmore year, I still donít know what I want to do, but I have to pick a major or I lose financial aid. Of course I pick the most enjoyable (easiest). I love production, but itís nearly impossible to get into the business. Most of the guys I run into with my major, are now doing something totally different.

I am thinking of getting a Pharmacy degree eventually. Maybe not right after I graduate, but after I try to enter the field of my current major. If that doesnít work outÖI guess itís a solid planÖ My question for you is what would I need to do? I have completed all the core requirements, so when I go to the new school, will I only need to be there for 2 years? Will I be able to transfer core stuff, and just concentrate on the pharmacy thing? Will I have to basically start college all over at 23? Could I go to a graduate school and do pharmacy there? Not really sure how this whole thing works. Anyone with any remote knowledge on the subject, please give me some advice.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Your best bet is to call the admissions folks at a potential school.

All schools are different. Even if someone here has gone through exactly what you describe, it will be different in some way.

Call 'em up. No danger.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Once you graduate with your current major, I would suspect that you would have to start over if you wanted to go into pharmacy, because I doubt schools will let you use transfer credits from one diploma towards another. The only way I can see you utilising transfer credits is if you don't graduate with your current degree at all. At least that's how I think it works????
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Grasshoppa
    You take the classes required by the major you want to graduate in. If you have a prior degree and some of those classes intersected with the major you are currently in, then you don't have to do them again. Each school has their own rules, so I'd call up and ask 'em...most likely they'll ask for a transcript and will tell you what will count and what won't count towards your new degree.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

to be a pharmacist (at least in the state of Texas) you need to have a Pharm. D. This is an advanced degree...like getting a PhD, an MS, or an MD. You need a bachelors to get into these programs (unless they have fast track programs). Your bachelors can be in something completely different. One of my friends is a Pharm D and she got her BS in Spanish. What you need to make sure you do is take your prerequisites. These probably include a 2-3 semesters of biology and 2-3 semesters of chemistry. It varies for most pharmacy schools. Do your legwork, see what you need to take, and then do it. Keep in mind you could graduate and then go back and take these courses. Best of luck.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

How were your grades in college?

3.0 gpa

I agree with ectx. A lot of schools will let you get your Masters in Pharmacy as long as you take some prereq courses like Bio, Chem, etc. With all your time invested in your current degree, you might as well get it. It really is just a piece of paper. It by no means dictates what you should do, or even what you should pursue with further schooling.

All that money and time down the drain ;/. Kinda sucks that I would be one veng round with people without a college degree if I tried to enter the working field of my major. EHHHM. And even though I have no love for pharmacalogy, it definately would allow me not to worry about $$$ for the rest of my life. All this time i thought I could only work doing soemthing i love, but i now realize that work is work, and you can do what you love by what you make at work. Wish I knew this 4 years ago. Don't know how I am going to face my parents with this.

I talked to my parents and they actually reacted alot better than i expected. For someone who has avoided science and math classes for last 4+ YEARS, it seems like they are going tob e the ONLy classes Ill be taking for the next 4. Oh the irony!! Do you guys think ill have a problem getting into a school being that I just finished a degree? You dont hear too often of people finishing a degree in 1 school, and then starting over in another. Is it allowed?

My girlfriend is currently in her third year of pharmacy (it's a four year program here at UBC). She had already done an undergraduate degree in Biology at Queens University (ontario, canada). From what she told me, she has had to repeat a number of virtually identical classes simply because the Pharmacy department is anal about transferring credits from other Universities.

I'm just going to repeat what Gyno said, locate some potential schools you may be interested in going to, call them up, and ask them what they accept for transfer credit and whether they would recognize courses from your current school if you are accepted into their program.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by dualman7
    I talked to my parents and they actually reacted alot better than i expected. For someone who has avoided science and math classes for last 4+ YEARS, it seems like they are going tob e the ONLy classes Ill be taking for the next 4. Oh the irony!! Do you guys think ill have a problem getting into a school being that I just finished a degree? You dont hear too often of people finishing a degree in 1 school, and then starting over in another. Is it allowed?
    I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be allowed.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Muscle Church High Priest
    Core courses such as English comp, literature, history, the humanities (art, theater, music), sciences, and social sciences (polisci, economics, sociology) should transfer from college to college. If your going into pharmacy school, you'll probably have to take a lot of pre-pharmacy courses (i.e., a slew of chemistry and biology courses). I think your best bet is to go back and get an undergraduate degree in pre-pharmacy, biology, or chemistry. An undergraduate degree in these fields will prepare you for pharmacy school.

If you take the graduate school route, they'll make you go back and take these courses anyway and keep you on provisional admission until you've successfully completed the prerequistie work. Also, graduate, medical, pharmacy, and law schools require admission test. Going back and getting your BS in a science field will better prepare you in obtaining admission to graduate level college work.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    Email: gpowbb@yahoo.com

Three things to remember: (1) be disciplined, (2) train hard, and (3) eat right

A lot of schools have different types of programs for all kinds of students. You can probably get a degree in 2 years or less now that you already have a bachelor's degree. For example, a frined of mine had a BS in child psychology and decided he wanted an engineering degree instead. He found a program at Norhteastern in Boston that allowed him to basically obtain an MS in Mechanical Engineering in just 2 years.

Just look around, you can find something that will fit your needs. But the worst thing you can do is stop school altogether. It's so hard to go back once you've stopped.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by dualman7
    Sure, why wouldn't it? Contrary to what you think, lots of people finish their degree and decide to go back and get another one. You hear of lots of people in their 40s and 50s going back to college to earn their first, or another degree. There's no reason you can't go back unless you're somehow not there mentally. The only thing standing in your way is the application procedure and acceptance process. This becomes moot if you're just starting back at a junior college.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Thing is, in order to be accepted, I need a 3.0 GPA in 4 science courses. I took these 4 courses like 3 years ago. I hated it and just wanted to get it over with ASAP, so I got C's on 3 of em, and a B- on another. You need atleast a B in each to be considered.

This whole pharmacy thing was set on fire when I heard that the Pharmacist at my Pharmacy makes 70 bucks an hour for bunus time, and 40 regularly. Oh my god! With my Degree, Ill probably end up finding some mediocore job(s) and never have any security. I mean what the heck could a person do with a major like television and radio? Those of you who have spent time searching for a job, how is it out there? If you don't have a "proffesion", are you screwed? Who's going to pay per year to some College graduate, to design a advertsing campaign....

Banned
    do you have any interest in working in the TV/film/radio industry?

I win.
    Didn't your college have a job office to help you with internships?

Wannabebig Member
    The requirements to get into pharmacy school aren't just gen bio and gen chem. There's a lot of additional science courses that you have to take. Here's an example of the pre-requisites for the Pharm D. program at Oregon State University.
    OSU Pharm D.