Thread: Oh God no...not an elbow/forearm injury!

Wannabebig Member

Oh God no...not an elbow/forearm injury!

I just got back from the gym today cutting my workout short. I was doing barbell curls and on the negative on one rep I felt a sharp pain in the back of my outer elbow/forearm area. Boy am I pissed. Now everytime I extend my elbow it hurts a bit and is a little stiff.

I'm thinking the fact that I work on the computer all day means that my arm positioning while using the mouse may have contributed to this injury, which makes it seem ironic I came here on the computer to get some input, but I trust no one more than you guys here.

Lately I've noticed doing back or biceps that my inner forearms hurt quite a bit too...nothing I can't handle but still a discomfort. It almost feels like my forearms are hardening or calcifying.

Anyone ever had this problem? Anything any of you can recommend to take to speed healing or any kind of input would be great. I understand rest is the number 1 thing I should do. Thanks in advance.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    hm... u sure its injury or just inflammation?

for the elbow pain, try extending ur arm out. now touch ur thumb w/ ur pinky finger. feel the same pain on the elbow? if it does, then put a neoprene wrap on the elbow during ur workouts.

for the bicep workout pain, i think its just tendonitis, try to take some ibuprofen before ur bicep workout, and see if it prevents it. if it does prevent teh pain, then its tendonitis.

but if u don'tbelieve me, then see a doctor, of course. but, try the stuff i recommend, those can be used as diagnostics too
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Sounds like tendonitis ... rest and stretch.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I agree with Anthony. Tendonities or inflammation of some sort. You could try some anti-inflammatories and ice. I've delt with inflammation for awhile now and I have found that helps, along with knowing which exercises aggrevated it and stay away from those.

Maddog

Wannabebig Member
    how far apart were your hands on the BB curl? that might happen if your hands are too close together (personal experience)

I find that one hand width further than shoulder width to be best
    Last edited by MellowFellow; 07-06-2004 at 08:23 PM.

Stop BB curls. Period. They cause or aggravate forearm and elbow tendown injuries more than any other exercise that I have seen. There are good replacements.

In the meanwhile, rest completely(!!!) and ice, and take an NSAID. Stop lifting with yuor arms for at least a week. See your doctor if pain continues.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys I appreciate your advice.

For Podium - I did that test you outlined and I have no pain at all.

I think you guys are right, that it is tendonitis. But I'm still not sure what that pain was in my elbow/forearm. Felt like a nerve was being pinched or a ligament was being displaced.

As for anti-inflammatories, (I know guys in my baseball league pop these like candies) doesn't that just mask the pain, allowing you to go harder than you should and causing more damage. I'm not an expert but if there is inflammation is there chance for more damage?

Mellow Fellow - By the way you're right, I usually grip it shoulder width so that my forearms are always in line with my upper arms. I felt the bicep working better that way.

I know I have no choice but to take1-2 weeks off, which I guess I can do legs. Do you guys think that performing stiff-leg deadlifts will be ok?
    Will the weight (I go about 300) put a strain on my forearm or does just the pulling motion of biceps and back exercises cause damage. Thanks guys.

Wannabebig Member
    I have had a similar problem , I would steer away from the deadlifts, it didn't hurt during the set but when i let that weight down it made my eyes water.
    You get what you give.

Yeah, the stretch of deads on your arms are a bad idea. Rest = no arm work!

As for a strange elbow pain, I can't do upright rows because a nerve in my left elbow feels like it's rolling over. Just stay away from exercises that cause pain!

Wannabebig Member
    Holy moly I'm not alone. This is obviously more common that I thought. I'm so pissed my body is so pathetically fragile. I know I have no choice but taking a couple weeks is going to kill me...I can feel my muscles atrophying already....ugh.

So I guess even packing the plates on squat or leg press can aggrevate the forearm as well. Ugh I can't win.

Guess in the meantime I'll try to learn something and check out that Ken Jennings guy on Jeopardy which is on TV at the time when I would be at the gym, so I'll take solace in that. Thanks guys, I'll keep you all updated on my progress.