The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok shut up. WTF do I know about cycling!

Ok what about swimming. No not relays! Or diving! Darts anyone?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

You should have said you were thinking of Olympic cycling

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Lance Armstrong is actually one of the, if not the most tested athlete in history.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I think another thing that gives Lance the edge now is far superior technology.

If you've been watching the Lance Chronicles, aka OLN, aka Lance Chronicles, you'll see what I mean. Maybe Ulrich/T-Mobile and one or two other teams at best have excellent tech, but no one is even close to the total package that Lance gets.

Lightest bikes, ever. (OCLV 55!!!) Lightest wheels, ever. So light in fact, that they're often disallowed until they add ballast. Most aero testing by far. Custom everything for every team member for every stage in a way that hasn't ever been seen. Nike + Trek + USPS + Subaru + etc. etc. are burning a ton of money on this.

If you gave Ulrich the same tech and management, I think he would have won more Tours. He might be too big though. He can't complain too much about life though...

I used to be a cycling geek. It's crazy what's happened in the past 5 years alone.

Wow. I just saw the breakaway finish for today's stage. That was awesome.

YEa awesome finish. Lots of crashes this time around. I think they might call this one the Year of the Crashes. I was rooting for that spaniard. I really thought he was gonna make it but once it got down to a 10 sec gap I knew he was doomed. Poor guy was trying hard but the peloton was busting ass to catch up.

Nasty crash at the end. Pretty much got all the big names.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig New Member
    Kinda nice seeing all those American flags in the country of cowards .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

LOL! Was waiting for someone to say something about the french.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Wannabebig New Member
    Haha ... I had to bro . I knew you were setting me up .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I think another thing that gives Lance the edge now is far superior technology.

If you've been watching the Lance Chronicles, aka OLN, aka Lance Chronicles, you'll see what I mean. Maybe Ulrich/T-Mobile and one or two other teams at best have excellent tech, but no one is even close to the total package that Lance gets.

Lightest bikes, ever. (OCLV 55!!!) Lightest wheels, ever. So light in fact, that they're often disallowed until they add ballast. Most aero testing by far. Custom everything for every team member for every stage in a way that hasn't ever been seen. Nike + Trek + USPS + Subaru + etc. etc. are burning a ton of money on this.

If you gave Ulrich the same tech and management, I think he would have won more Tours. He might be too big though. He can't complain too much about life though...

I used to be a cycling geek. It's crazy what's happened in the past 5 years alone.

Sounds like Michael Shumacher.

Schumacher may have the best car, but he'd still win if they were all driving identical go-karts.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

ill be ighty impresed if lance wins this year.
    Last edited by Centaurion; 07-10-2004 at 05:28 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aidano
    Schumacher may have the best car, but he'd still win if they were all driving identical go-karts.

I think Lance would as well.

Wooo hooo! Lance (and his team) smoked everyone in the mountains today! Great stage today!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Lance is such a h4x0r.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I wannabebig!
    haha... hax0r =\ go lance!

oh and team usps
    Last edited by ryuage; 07-16-2004 at 09:39 AM.

I just read a little article on MSNBC about Armstrong's anatomy. It's really interesting how genetically gifted he is.

Brain
    During his grueling treatment for testicular cancer, which struck him in September 1996, Armstrong underwent brain surgery and later chemotherapy so aggressive that it destroyed his musculature, burned parts of skin and gave him permanent kidney damage.

Mouth
    Armstrong must consume a massive quantity of food each day during the Tour de France. He will burn up about 6,500 calories every day for three weeks, and more than 10,000 on one of the 120-mile mountain stages. Compare that with the average person, who uses 3,500 on an active day and 2,500 on a sedentary day.

A typical Armstrong pre-race feast might include two huge plates of pasta and an energy bar -- on top of a full breakfast.

Lungs
    Armstrong’s lungs can perform at twice the capacity of the average healthy man. Technically speaking, Armstrong's lungs use 85 milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight during exercise, compared with 40 for other men. The body uses oxygen to break down food into components we use for energy.

Heart
    Armstrong’s heart is nearly one-third larger than that of the average man. Resting, it beats an average of 32 times per minute. During peak performance, it will top out at more than 200.

Body fat
    At the start of the Tour de France, Armstrong has a body-fat level of about 4-5 percent. The average man has between 15-17 percent, whereas elite athletes are in the 6-12 range.

Thigh
    Lance’s femur bone is a rarity in that it is considerably longer than the average man’s, and that gives him the ability to apply more torque to the pedals.

Musculature
    Armstrong produces less lactic acid, which builds up in muscles when they start to work beyond their aerobic capacity, and metabolizes it better. This uncanny ability allows Armstrong to ride strong and long, while other cyclists taper off.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Wooo hooo! Lance (and his team) smoked everyone in the mountains today! Great stage today!
    Except the guy that beat him to the line

It seemed like Lance spent all his effort creating a huge gap between him and Ulrich etc back down the field, and didn't quite have enough in him to beat Basso at the end.

Really exciting stuff though!

Yea well, he didn't need the win, just the gaps. Felt bad for Tyler Hamilton today. He had a rough day. The fench guy who is the current yellow jersey leader had it really rough. Was kinda rooting for him. His face was pure agony when he crossed the line. Ulrich was sucking ass today. He got dropped hard. Same goes for Roberto Heras (former Postal teammate). Tomorrow should be good again. Big climbs, and lots of them.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    Musculature
    Armstrong produces less lactic acid, which builds up in muscles when they start to work beyond their aerobic capacity, and metabolizes it better. This uncanny ability allows Armstrong to ride strong and long, while other cyclists taper off.
    Yea this is the thing that fascinates me the most about him. Wish I had that ability.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Yea well, he didn't need the win, just the gaps. Felt bad for Tyler Hamilton today. He had a rough day. The fench guy who is the current yellow jersey leader had it really rough. Was kinda rooting for him. His face was pure agony when he crossed the line. Ulrich was sucking ass today. He got dropped hard. Same goes for Roberto Heras (former Postal teammate). Tomorrow should be good again. Big climbs, and lots of them.
    Yeah, it seems Ulrich and others get too used to the flats and can't adjust to the hills as quickly as others.

I heard the commentator say the winner of the stage gets a 20 seconds bonus, so I just assumed Lance hadn't the legs in him for a final sprint.
    Last edited by aidano; 07-16-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Genetically gifted to be a bike rider. Well I guess now I've heard it all.
    ...whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government,...

Another great day for the Postal team. All the big names are dropping (litterally) like flies now. Hamilton is out (he really needs to stop crashing). Heras I think is out for the most part (fell on a descent). Mayo is like 30 mins behind. Ulrich is the only one left over. It's between Lance and Basso now. This time Lance won the stage.

The French guy is still hanging on. Tough little mf'er. He should have it for one more day.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Yeah, looks like Lance and Basso are the main contenders. The other guy from T-Mobile is there too, but I wouldn't rule out Ulrich yet.

Well I don't think Ulrich is gonna nail it on the mountain TT. Stage 15 is another tough stage but not as bad as today. He might hang on. After stage 16, the TT stage, is another mountain which is almost as hard as today. I think that's when the s h it's gonna hit the fan.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals