The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Looking to improve myself

Hello all. Recently, I have decided to do a little improving to my body. I have lost a little weight, but I still have some pudge remaining by my belly. It annoys me daily, and I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it cease to be. My boyfriend has suggested crunches...would this be the way to do it? If so, I'm not 100% sure how to do crunches correctly, so if someone could explain, I'd appreciate it greatly.
    Next...I want to do some toning to the upper thigh area around my buns. Any suggestions on what would be best for that? I want to put an end to what may be the beginning of fat, dimply upper leg.

Any and all suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

mmm... discipline
    To burn fat you simply burn more calories than you consume, that will tone you up nicely. Better that you eat healthy "natural" foods as well. There are also many high repetition exercises that can make your muscles firmer, like crunches, lunges... hmmm... I'm not sure how to help you out on form though. Just look through some books and get some experience.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey

Yeah, You cannot easily "Spot Reduce.." and target fat on a certain area of your body..

Doing crunches is still awesome, so when you do lose the little bit of belly you have you can have some nice abs..

The main thing is exercise and watch what you eat..

BTW - Im from Oklahoma too! (I know its not a big deal)

Ryan

Unfortunately, you cannot burn fat from just one area. When you workout your body burns a little bit of fat. To make things worse, there are alpha 2 receptors in certain areas like thighs that cause those areas to retain more fat than others.

In order to lose fat and get the results you want, you just need to adjust your diet. Find out how many calories you need to eat to maintain your bodyweight (generally around your bodyweight x 15) and then cut about 200-500 from that. Then split it such that it is around 15-20% fat calories, your bodyweight in protein grams and the rest from carbs. Lastly, make sure that you eat good foods - your carbs should be complex carbs like pastas and not donuts. Your fats should be healthy fats like olive oil. And your protein should come from good, clean sources like chicken breast. Maybe throw in a whey protein powder for post workout.

Don't waste any money on "miracle supplements" or diet pills because they won't work. Clean up your diet like I have suggested above. See if you lose a couple pounds over the course of the next few weeks. Once you have a clean diet, then it can be tightened up and to further cut calories cardio and weightlifting can be introduced.

Just do the right things and be patient. It may take a month or two and a few lifestyle modifications, but when you get a leaner, firmer body you will thank yourself. It may not be easy at first, but stay focused. I wish you the best of luck, and if you have any questions please ask away. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help setting up a diet / exercise program.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Thanks for the advice, all. I will spend this next week figuring out how to improve my diet, and take it from there. I'll be sure to check back in if I have any further questions, and to let you all know how I'm coming along.