The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Squats

Squats

when im doing squats i feel like my knees are going to give out on me before my leg muscles really get worked i feel like my legs can handle more weight but my knees cant. any suggestions

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Under Construction
    How wide are you squatting? Are you moving your knees or hips first? Also, do your knees drift too far in front of your toes?
    Just one guy's opinion.

Have you had anyone check your form while squatting?
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Quote Originally Posted by matrix5089
    when im doing squats i feel like my knees are going to give out on me before my leg muscles really get worked i feel like my legs can handle more weight but my knees cant. any suggestions
    I had the same problems for years until I fixed it. Your hips are really tight and unflexible, they literally pull your knees out of alignment, creating pressure on the inside of your knees when you're doing squats. I went to a place that soley works on hips flexibility and body alignment to work on this, unless you're in Oregon, try yoga.

check your form.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    make sure you are going down far enough

if you stop before parallel your knee joint halts the decent of the weight

if you hit parallel or below your glutes and hams halt the decent

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah sounds like a form problem, make sure your sitting back into your hips and not sitting down on your knees, that could help alleviate your problem by placing the stress on your hips which is a much bigger stronger and more stable joint that your knees
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Also check where you're pointing your toes. Make sure they are always pointing outwards, never forward or inwards.

Here is a great article on squatting. Give it a read. Squatting

Here is an excerpt:

STANCE VARIABLES AFFECTING KNEE HEALTH

Whenever you squat, hack squat, or leg press, your foot position is an
    important variable in determining not only the results you'll obtain from the exercise, but also the safety of your knee joints. Although each individual must determine their own best stance exercise per exercise (based on their own anatomical peculiarities such as height and leg length), the following variables must be taken into consideration:

1) The quadriceps muscles can contract more efficiently when the feet are pointing slightly outward . They should NEVER point straight ahead. If you squat with a very wide stance, your adductors tend to assist the quads. This can result in stress to the medial collateral ligament, abnormal cartilage loading, and improper patellar tracking.

2) During the decent phase of any type of squat, do not allow the knees to extend beyond your feet. The further your knees travel over your feet, the greater the shearing forces on the patellar tendon and ligament.

3) Make sure that your knees point in the same direction your feet are pointing during the descent and ascent. Because of weak quads, many lifters inadvertently turn their knees inward during the ascent, placing great stress on the medial ligaments of the knee.

4) Although many top bodybuilders advocate a very close stance for the purpose of isolating the outer quads, this is a myth, and it places you at risk, particularly since you’ll have to use a lot of back to execute the lift, or (if you use heels) place great shear and compression on the knees. The best way to squat is to put your feet in a position where they can generate the greatest opposing force to the weight (“the athletic postition”). Follow the squatting technique pointers presented in the sidebar accompanying this article.

5) Warm up thoroughly before squatting. Your muscles and other tissues of the knee joint LOVE warmth! Remember the analogy, cold taffy breaks, warm taffy doesn’t.

6) Maintain reasonable flexibility in the joints of your lower extremities and back. Many knee injuries can be traced back to poor position resulting from inflexibility.

7) Finally, be very careful in the exit out of the rack, and getting "set" in the squat stance. After lifting the weight off of the pins, you should take just one step backward and immediately assume your squatting stance. This takes time to master, but eventually all the minute adjustments can be pared down substantially. Once set in the stance, keep your feet "nailed down" for the duration of the set. Many people "fidget" with their feet and toes between reps which can cause a variety of problems ranging from a break in concentration to a loss of balance -- and attendant stress on your knees.

melt
    Last edited by meltedtime; 07-08-2004 at 11:50 AM.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

thanx guys changed form and did squats yesterday no pain im going to try more weight next week but i can feel a big difrence in my leg muscles are being worked more.