The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

the usual i need real help! questioning bodyfat scales

ok
    heres a long post
    i was a fat kid, teen, guess very endomorphic, max weight had been around 280lbs, but i lost most of it quick by mid 20's and went down to 175#, started exercise, i am in mid 30's now, i have been working out religiously for the past 3-4 yrs, 2 hrs a day almost every day of the week, i do cardio for at least 1 hr in every session and i do lift most of the days too, i have good strength, great legs (as most ex-fat guys do) and a somewhat flabby looking upperbody (that doesnt look that bad with clothes for my age), however i have a BIG SCARY question

yesterday for the first time i bought a scale for my home, is one of those that has bodyfat analyzer too, before that in the past 3-4 yrs i had test my bodyfat like 4 times, always with calipers at some gym, first time it was 15% (i was around 192lbs), second time and around 10 pounds heavier i tested 15-16% again, third time i was around 200lbs and got tested with an electronic machine of the ones that point to ur body made by tanita or so, i got a 21% reading or so, the fourth time calyper again i got a 18%, i have very very very flabby skin in my abdominal area, more than u can imagine and has probably a lot to do with my ex-fat past, however i got readings of like 30mm of fat there (think it was higher), but in legs i got less than 8mm and in chest around 15mmm, those are the measurements i remember from the last time i took the test, those all test were made from gyms and from the past 4 yrs i have been working out about the same without decreasing a bit, got lots of energy and clothes fit, i dont expect to be a model but somewhat my waist has mantained and i have pants size 34 up to 36 that fit, same waist range of the past 4 yrs ( i used to have 44inch pants when i was 20 so u can imagine), i would say that with clothes i look ok for my age. however this is the BIG QUESTION
    yesterday i went on this scale made by a brand i dont remember (not tanita)
    and got a reading of 210 lbs weight, 33.5% bodyfat
    is this possible??
    i have this measurements
    chest around 44-46
    arms around 16 and look decent, not toned but big and firm, waist around 35-38 thighs around 26, calves big and shaped, i have big forearms, medium size wrist, small ankles, somewhat shaped legs, i am 38yrs old
    i have been watching my diet since forever, i am very healthy in most areas, i had tested as having excellent arm strength and flexibility, and i have lots of endurance for cardio ( only do spinning and eliptical trainers) i monitor my heart rate and is ok, can increase lots and going down somewhat fast too, but my question is i must have doing something terribly wrong!
    how on earth got this reading of 33% something bodyfat?, (this morning was 31% but still is VERY HIGH even for me, doest his mean that ex-fat guys should be tested only by calipers, do this electronic machines dont work for us?, or i have most fat in unusual places? (like thighs,butt, hips?) where calipers doesnt go?, what about flabby skin does that count as fat for this machines??, i am very disoriented, i always tought of me as fit, overweight but fit, and able to keep myself in the same weight range over this years (that was impossible when i was a teeen) any advices??? i know this is long, but i need to have drastic measures

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

calipers test subcutaneous fat
    BMI (scales) measure leg fat and the hand holders measure arm/chest fat

water weight will impact ur readings, so if u've spent a weekend drinking u'll be off.
    Ur readings will be lower in the AM and higher in the PM. Possibly a 1-2 pounds of weight difference, and 2-4% bf difference.
    Rather than worry about a 1 time reading I recommend you take the average of a weeks worth of readings.
    I measure myself first thing I wake up, which is an artificially low reading thanks to the impact of sleeping and gravity + minor dehydration then a night readings before bed, and I take a weekly average of the two and use that to track my progress...
    Did you calibrate your new scale correctly? the scale I use takes Gender, Height, Age (obviously weight) and heart rate into account to formulate a more accurate reading.

here is some info on measuring bodyfat and the pro's con's of bmi vs skin fold etc...
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...28&postcount=5
    its worth a read IMHO
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 07-12-2004 at 09:08 AM.

Wannabebig New Member

thanks geoff

thanks for your post, i dont see myself as an athlete, i understand i might have much more bodyfat and skin that most lean-since young- guys
    i always tought that my bodyfat measurements taken at gyms of 15% were really low and probably innacurate for a guy like me that doesnt look like the pics of 15% bodyfat pics of guys i have seen, but i exercise very very regularly and in physical tests i always do good, i calibrated my scale well, however that 30's % number was much more than what i expected, i dont see why a guy that by bmi standards isnt obese (close but not), and that has a 36inch waist pant size and exercises so regularly as me can have a reading of over 30% bodyfat, i have been reading a lot in the past two hours about bodyfat scales and such, i didnt know they measured leg fat, i always tought legs were the part of my body where i had less fat, even caliper readings in legs show me as very fit, so i am planning to get back to cardio at mornings and much more severe diet, at least this has motivated me to give an extra effort

i dont

also, tanita scales give false reading for athletes and bbers. An example; I'm 8-9% on calipers but used a tanita scale once and was 24% on it.
    Height-5' 7"
    Chest-46"
    Biceps-17"
    Waist-28"
    Squat- 360x8 DB Curl- 70x6

Wannabebig New Member

wow

u had 20's bodyfat on tanita scales with a 28inch waist??
    something is wrong with those scales then
    do u have big legs?, i happen to have big legs but with much less fat on them than on the rest of my body

Ali started a really cool thread that has this link in it. http://www.weightlossforall/TOOLS.html I tried it and think it's bodyfat and other calculators to be fairly accurate, although it may mislead you into believing you're morbidly obese, probably due to you being a bodybuilder, when you're not even in that remote area. I'm 5 10 and 250lbs. It said i was something like 20-25% bodyfat with a 42-44 inch waist. It put me in as class II obese. Lol, it's far from the truth, so I would just look at the bodyfat %. See what it says.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits