Thread: squat question

WBB Member

squat question

When I do squats, I keep my feet facing foward, but my knees bow out as I descend. As long as I am keeping my head up and back straight throughout the entire movement, is bowing my knees out a problem? Should I be keeping both of my knees facing foward and my legs parallel the entire time?

wuh mah naym iz?
    keeping your legs striaght or parallel will decrase the stress your joints probably get from bowing. Plus, it's just good form to keep your legs straight to get faster gains.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    When I do squats, I keep my feet facing foward, but my knees bow out as I descend. As long as I am keeping my head up and back straight throughout the entire movement, is bowing my knees out a problem? Should I be keeping both of my knees facing foward and my legs parallel the entire time?
    The squat is a highly beneficial yet very dangerous exercise. That's why special attention to form is a must. Try pointing your toes slightly outward when you squat, it's good for stability. Also, your knees should point the way your toes are and should move towards your feet. If your feet are perfectly straight and your knees are bent out, this is very dangerous. In other words, your knees should point the way your toes do.

Mind you, this is what I do for asstoankles squats, and I've been told by several lifting adults whom I respect greatly for their knowledge that I do them perfectly. Parallel squats don't require as much bending of the knee, so it would probably be ok, if not going past parallel, to keep your feet pretty straight, but I can't stand it.
    Last edited by SW; 07-12-2004 at 08:09 PM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits