The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Raw Oats

Raw Oats

I have been reading the other thread here about oats and I got thinking. If I am not blending my oats, Im not cooking them, in fact as Im drinking them with my protein shake will my body be able to digest them at all. They are pretty low on the glycymic index any how, but If Im not chewing them will they just pass straight though?
    Last edited by Trent_Steel; 07-13-2004 at 04:10 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

good question i just put them in my shakes as well.

wait by raw oats you mean like quaker oats and stuff like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Trent_Steel
    I have been reading the other thread here about oats and I got thinking. If I am not blending my oats, Im not cooking them, in fact as Im drinking them with my protein shake will my body be able to digest them at all. They are pretty low on the glycymic index any how, but If Im not chewing them will they just pass straight though?
    yes, they will be digested in your stomach, however it will take longer for it to turn to chyme before being passed to the duodenum. Its possible they won't all be digested though since digestion starts with mastication. Assuming your using instant or rolled oats you should be fine since they soften very quickly

hmmm, chyme, duodenum, and mastication... i think this conversation's gone over my head

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    chyme, duodenum, and mastication
    Chyme = thick semifluid mass of partly digested food that is passed from the stomach to the duodenum

duodenum = beginning portion of the small intestine, starting at the lower end of the stomach and extending to the jejunum

mastication = To chew (food)

duodenum- first 25cm or 25mm? of your small intestine where a large part of absorption occurs
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

not to nitpick but why the hell would you say mastication instead of just 'chew"

are you a nutrition /ex sci major? i feel like you wouldn't speak like that if you weren't

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    are you a nutrition /ex sci major? i feel like you wouldn't speak like that if you weren't
    neither, my mother used to always drill into me the importance of chewing since I had a tendency to bite-bite-swallow, and she always used masticate vs chew...it just seems like the more appropriate term to use when talking about digestion. where chewing is just opening and closing your mouth, masticating implies more of a digestive function of the same action.

btw here is some easy to read info on digestion:
    Digestion begins in the mouth. Your teeth and tongue break down or masticate food and your salivary glands break it down further with liquid enzymes. Saliva is a watery tasteless liquid mixture that moistens chewed food and begins chemical digestion. The salivary glands produce this saliva. Saliva contains an enzyme that begins the breakdown of starches into sugars. Saliva contains amylase that is an enzyme that begins the chemical digestion of complex carbohydrates, such as the sweet potatoes and stuffing in your dinner.

Once the food is chewed and softened in the mouth, the tongue rolls it into a ball or bolus and then pushes the bolus to the throat to be swallowed. During swallowing, a small flap of tissue called the epiglottis prevents food from entering the windpipe. The food then passes into the esophagus.

The esophagus is a muscular tube connecting the mouth with the stomach. The esophagus moves the food to the stomach by a serious of muscular contractions called peristalsis. Peristalsis is the wavelike contraction of muscles that move food through the digestive system.

As you swallow, the food travels through your esophagus to your stomach. The stomach is a saclike organ of digestion and has walls made of layers of muscle, each arranged on a different angle. As the food enters the stomach, muscle contractions begin to twist, turn, and churn the food. The twisting, turning, and churning of food in the stomach is part of mechanical digestion. The stomach produces gastric juice and mixes it with the food. This gastric juice contains enzymes that begin the digestion of proteins. Proteins are the only substances digested in the stomach. Proteins are only partially digested in the stomach. The food is churned and mixed with stomach fluids until a thick paste called chyme is produced. The chyme passes through the stomach into the small intestine.

The small intestine is a long, coiled organ about one inch in diameter. The small intestine may be 7.5 to 9 meters in length. Digestion is completed in the small intestine. The liver releases bile into the small intestine. Bile prepares the fats for digestion. Pancreatic juice contains enzymes that digest carbohydrates and fats. It also contains enzymes that continue the digestion of proteins. The walls of the small intestine release enzymes that complete the digestion of all three basic nutrients. In the walls of the small intestine are millions of small projections called villi. These villi contain many small blood vessels. Digested food is absorbed into these blood vessels and carried to all body cells.

The material that has not been absorbed moves into the large intestine, or colon. Here water and salts are absorbed, and the remaining solid waste goes out of the body through the anus.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 07-14-2004 at 01:17 PM.

nice post geoff - I knew the basics, but the details are interesting...
    if I had to pick the 4 main influences on my physique, they would be:

heavy metal music, raw oatmeal, plain tuna, and whey.