The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Big yet hunched shoulders

My shoulders are getting big but they are leaning a bit forward making the upper part look hunched. I don't know if it is because I box or not since the boxing stance requires me to bring the shoulders forward to protect the head.

Any particular exercises I can do to pull my shoulders back?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I had the same problem, this is what corrected my posture and slumped shoulders:
    traps+rhomboids with shrugs and upright rows, which will help to raise your shoulders.
    spinal erectors with deadlifts, goodmornings, hyperextensions to straighten your posture

it took me about 2 years to go from unhappy to completely satisified with the transformation
    (granted I could be off on this, maybe it was something else that fixed me up! but I think this is what it was)

Rows.

Rows are good. Strengthening the rear deltoids with some bent over lateral raises will help as well. Since boxing involves having a lot of pushing power, your front deltoids are probably stronger compared to the rear.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

spinal erectors with deadlifts, goodmornings, hyperextensions to straighten your posture
    Do not forget to work your abs along side your lower back.

Im with Geoff on this.

The primary postural muscles for having the shoulders in a "natural" more "back" position are the rhomboids, levator scapule and the middle and lower fibers of the traps.

To correct hunching you need to do two things really. Shorten the muscles mentioned above by working them hard and making them grow and contract......but at the same time also focus some time on stretching out and lengthening their antagonists:

stretch the pecs, the serratus anterior, the upper traps (do head sidebends for these).

Doing too many pressing movements and boxing type exercises will bring the shoulders forwards. Work the back muscles, strech the front muscles and the balance will get slowly restored as Geoff proved. Im willing to put money on what Geoff did bing the reason his posture changed.

Augs