Thread: How long have you been deadlifting?

Wannabebig Member

How long have you been deadlifting?

Hey guys,

This is just out of general curiosity. I'm relatively new to deadlifts. I'm currently doing WBB #1 and here's where I'm at:

Bench: 8 x 215
    Squat: 8 x 285
    Deadlift: 8 x 165

Part of my problem with deadlifts is my grip strength, which I'm working on. But then I look on here and see that most everyone has a deadlift weight that is considerably heavier than their bench and I get discouraged. How long did it take your deadlift to surpass your bench, or has it always been that way?
    The problem with being better than everyone else is that people assume you're pretentious.

I've been deadlifting for about a year. I was up to 315 after about a month.

My advice is to use a mixed grip (over/under) and get some chalk.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Yeah, most people should be able to deadlift more than they squat (which should be more than they banch) after training for a while.

Sounds like your deadlift weakness is almost entirely in your grip. Start pulling more. Rows, chins, and deads. If you can legitimately squat 285x8, deads should be 300+ easily once your grip gets strong.

Why don't you just invest in a pair of wrist wraps and see what you can pull with those. I wouldn't suggest doing it all the time, but you could at least eliminate grip strength as a cause.

What kind of stance do you use? I would have someone check out your form.

I went to sumo and love it. I still switch up every now and then.

Good luck
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Wannabebig Member
    Could you explain the stance? I'm positioning my feet about like I do for squats... a little wider than shoulder-width, toes pointed out.

Is a mixed grip okay for symmetry? I have a pair of straps... guess it's time to break 'em out and see what I can do.

Thanks for your help guys
    The problem with being better than everyone else is that people assume you're pretentious.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bruejam
    Could you explain the stance? I'm positioning my feet about like I do for squats... a little wider than shoulder-width, toes pointed out.

Is a mixed grip okay for symmetry? I have a pair of straps... guess it's time to break 'em out and see what I can do.

Thanks for your help guys
    If you are trying to work on your grip which you stated in your first post, straps will NOT help. They will only mask the weakness. I used straps until recently. When I started training my grip, I realized I was a lot weaker at the deadlift then I had thought I was. So I built up my grip doing combination deadlifts-static holds and farmer's walk. Once I started training my grip seriously, it improved incredibly fast. For the record I am up to 375 for a double. The only equipment I (now) use is a belt.

Straps do help you lift more, but that comes at the expense of a strong grip.

Footballer
    a year or 2 on and off, I can't deadlift **** without straps but with straps almost 500 pounds.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

been deadlifting(conventional)) for about 7 months now. i think it took me about 4 months to hit the 300 mark(..read: weak grip) and i always use a mixed grip. once i strengthened my grip( heavy static holds) it got much easier. oh, and i got an Eco ball(fine chalk)...that helps too!! currently doing 2 sets of 4-6 of 325...chalk, no belt, no straps.

are sumo deads easier to do than conventional?? i've never tried them. can you do more weight w/ them?
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Deads for about 1 1/2yrs now. Started off with conventional stance, now doing sumo. Prefer sumo as lower back doesn't stress out as much. I've aways used a mixed grip. Grip has never been an issue. I was able to do 315 when I first started, now my max is 415.

My other lift maxes are in my sig.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 07-11-2004 at 03:42 AM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Taking steroids is like pretending to be handicapped for the Special Olympics.

What exactly do you mean by this?
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    My advice is to use a mixed grip (over/under)
    is mixed grip really good? I can't say I fully understand the benifits of it. I use a mixed grip to dl with and I've been having a lot of problems with it lately . The other day I couldn't make it to the gym and decided to do the clean&jerk which uses an overhand grip (I do a full body routine) to make up for it. When I was doing it I remember thinking "this is what a deadlift should feel like". It could have been my shoes though. I'm pretty sure I need better ones and when I was at home I wasn't wearing any. But I dunno, I use mixed grip but I never really apreciated why it's used instead of overhand (I'm sure there is a reason though).

Quote Originally Posted by BigNic
    Taking steroids is like pretending to be handicapped for the Special Olympics.

What exactly do you mean by this?
    It's from a south park episode, the guy should learn that a quote like that on a Bodybuilding website will make him more enemys then friends.

To me, mixed grips works better because the bar can't roll out of your hands. If you use an underhand or overhand grip, the bar wants to roll and you have to grip harder to keep the bar in your hands. With a mixed grip, the bar is pretty much stuck because the bar has no place to roll. I hope that makes sense. Maybe someone else can explain it a little better.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 07-11-2004 at 10:12 AM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

yeah it does actually, thanks for explaining. I never fully understood I just did it and din't ask questions lol.

for me it's just that my R hand is strongest in the overhand pos. and my L hand is strongest in the under pos.....therefore, i can grip the weight longer w/out loosing grip.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat

Wannabebig Member
    be careful with the under/over..I did deadlifts for years, got up to 630..one day tore the bicep off my lower arm when I had a moment of bad form.

Quote Originally Posted by louis1099
    be careful with the under/over..I did deadlifts for years, got up to 630..one day tore the bicep off my lower arm when I had a moment of bad form.
    OUCH!!
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Squat

Wannabebig Member
    yeah tell me about it...1.5 years and still recovering.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    What exactly happened that lead to the torn bicep? I mean, what kind of bad form?
    Is it possible that you progressed too much too quickly on your deadlift?

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Mixmaster I've been training a long time and I still squat more than I deadlift. I don't think its too unnatural, in fact I know plenty of people too. I think its just a matter of individuality. Hell, there are people who bench more than they squat and dl who have been training for a very long time.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

The Chicken Mr'ga
    i started deadlifting a week after joining WBB
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

Wannabebig Member
    bending the under arm is what tore it...I was only doing 550 at the time

Go Nets
    Quote Originally Posted by bruejam
    Hey guys,

This is just out of general curiosity. I'm relatively new to deadlifts. I'm currently doing WBB #1 and here's where I'm at:

Bench: 8 x 215
    Squat: 8 x 285
    Deadlift: 8 x 165
    holy crap, you kill me everything but the deadlift. I've been doing DL's for only 6 months. I've gone from 135 to 225.

If it's your grip strength then, as everyone has said, do a mixed grip.
    I alternate each set. I'm 6'2", 190 lbs (it doesn't show, I'm a thin guy) but can manage to hold up 225 lbs for 2 sets of 8.

No offense to the other guys, who I'm sure are more experienced than I am, but I would be against wrist straps at this stage in the game. For me, I enjoy training for a strong grip. I know some will argue that you should focus fully on what you are working (in this case back), but all I can say is that I'm not having grip issues anymore, on any of my lifts.
    I'm also not doing the awesome weight these other guys are doing either :o

Wannabebig Member
    I tried the mixed grip and jumped up to 8 x 185... I didn't want to go too heavy since it was the first time I've ever tried mixed. It felt really comfortable, so I'm sure I'll go harder next time.

I think I've decided not to use straps... I'd rather let my grip catch up.

hammin'
    I've been doing deadlifts for about 6 months now... I have no idea what I started at But now I'm up to reps at 275, going for 315.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Banned
    Hey Bruejam Just something to think about. Are your goals to gain size and achieve a physical stature, to increase in your ability to lift more weight, or a combination of both? It appears to me from the little bit that I have seen on this site people are zero'd in on putting on the pounds and looking big and I imagine this for the most part is what you are trying to acheive. If so, do you really care that much whether you can deadlift more than you bench? Personally if I were growing in size and reaching my goal I really wouldn't worry myself about it that much but that is just me. I can understand the frustration you may feel in general though. Being new myself I know I will have a lot of frustration once I get into my workout schedule (WBB1). Don't let it get to you and just try some of the suggestions listed in this thread. You'll get where you want to be .
    Last edited by Mr. ?; 07-15-2004 at 03:58 PM.