The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Finally joined a real gym

Today I joined a real gym. I was using the gym in the condo building and it was very limited. The gym I joined has everything I need and is a good price. Tomorrow I get a complete fitness evaluation so maybe I will start a journal of my stats and progress. It willl be nice to see where I am at and get a real program to follow. My road to being big begins!
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 07-14-2004 at 02:55 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good luck!
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

gl mate....getting a good place to lift can dramatically help your growing i feel, so your on the right track id say

So I went for the fitness thing and I am very out of shape to no suprise. I have to lose like 35 lbs and they want me to get a trainer. I can't really afford one right now but they may be able to take a payment plan. Trainers are very expensive and I don't know if it is worth it. I would like to think I can do it with help from here and on my own. What do you think?

There is enough info here to make you more knowledgeable than most personal trainers. As long as you can motivate yourself to work hard, you will do just fine.
    Last edited by -sin-; 07-15-2004 at 05:28 PM.

Of course you can do it yourself dude! have some faith in yourself. Its hard work and you will want to quite at some stages. The trick is to write down your goals....on a sheet of paper....stick it on the wall and say "i WILL do that". Then get going. Dont try to achieve too much all at once. And you will get all the support you need from here.

On an annoying note: gyms are there to make money. yes, hopefully the trainers know what they are talking about and will advise you should you invest in one...but there is more combined knowledge on this board than ive ever seen before in one place. Avant labs is also a very solid and scientific board. There are a lot of "trainers" out there who dont really know enough...ive met some spotty 18 yo kids telling me the only way to lose fat is cardio. Ahem. So muscle does nothing to the metabolic rate?....

Make your own mind up....but certainly have faith in yourself. You can do whatever you turn your mind to.

Augs

Thanks, I think you are right. I have enough support and advice on here then paying a trainer hundreds of dolllars to tell me the same thing.

Definitely dont waste your time and cash on a trainer!

sorry to off-track

but augs, i am familiar that muscle increases metabolic rate, but do you know specifically how it accomplishes this?
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Currently 300'ing
    Good Luck

Go Nets
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    Thanks, I think you are right. I have enough support and advice on here then paying a trainer hundreds of dolllars to tell me the same thing.

WBB is my godsend! I spent 3 years working out on and off, barely gaining (I'm going up, not down like you).
    8 months ago I started working out again as I started reading WBB.
    The first 2 months were alight. The next 1 was much better. Since then, I have just been going up up up. It's great, and I owe it fully to WBB. I have gone from 165 to 190(was up to 195 for a bit) in this amount of time. I'm still bulking and all of my strength is up.

You can do it, we can help! (haha, man, I have no idea what company's slogan that is) good luck!

u can do it
    nicorette can help

..lol i would know that
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Awesome support, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JTyrell710
    sorry to off-track
    but augs, i am familiar that muscle increases metabolic rate, but do you know specifically how it accomplishes this?
    I might be way off on the numbers here but Im seriously going from memory. Simplistically, muscle requires more calories per hour to maintain(keep alive and healthy) than fat.

So if you look at two people of identical weight but differing bodyfats....the guy with the low BF with have a lot more muscle than the guy with the high BF if they are both the same weight. The guy with more muscle means his body has to simply burn up more calories to keep all his muscle fibers alive. Muscle fibers are constantly "turned over". They are broken down and remade. Dont ask me why. Thats why we have whats called "muscle balance". Muscle balance = protien synthesis - protein breakdown.

I seem to recall that 1lb of muscle takes 75 cal per day to keep alive versus 1lb of fat taking 10cal per day. As i say, this is from memory and the difference may well be less stark. however the principal is generally correct. Muscle takes more energy for the body to sustain and so if you have a lot of it you have a high metabolic rate.

Maybee there are some others here who can be a bit more specific for ya.

Augs

Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    I might be way off on the numbers here but Im seriously going from memory. Simplistically, muscle requires more calories per hour to maintain(keep alive and healthy) than fat.

So if you look at two people of identical weight but differing bodyfats....the guy with the low BF with have a lot more muscle than the guy with the high BF if they are both the same weight. The guy with more muscle means his body has to simply burn up more calories to keep all his muscle fibers alive. Muscle fibers are constantly "turned over". They are broken down and remade. Dont ask me why. Thats why we have whats called "muscle balance". Muscle balance = protien synthesis - protein breakdown.

I seem to recall that 1lb of muscle takes 75 cal per day to keep alive versus 1lb of fat taking 10cal per day. As i say, this is from memory and the difference may well be less stark. however the principal is generally correct. Muscle takes more energy for the body to sustain and so if you have a lot of it you have a high metabolic rate.

Maybee there are some others here who can be a bit more specific for ya.

Augs
    This is why women lose fat alot harder than men. Less muscle to maintain. Good post Augury.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by -sin-
    There is enough info here to make you more knowledgeable than most personal trainers. As long as you can motivate yourself to work hard, you will do just fine.
    Damn Right.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee