Thread: Power cleans

Power cleans

I just wanted to know exactly what the power clean works and how many of you guys do them. I was thinking of starting power cleans they look pretty cool.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

They work most of the muscles in your poterior chain, and your upper back and shoulders.

I do them occasionally
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    i do them for football but only because our routine calls for them during the offseason, but when i design my own workouts i dont o them, they are a good exercise but i believe it is a bit over rated, if you do deadlifts and dynamic squats and box squats imo i get better work out of these exercises than just doing power cleans

but yeah give them a try if ya want to do them, they will definelty shock the body if youve never done them, your traps will hate you in the morning
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I'll do them occassionally for a bit of active recovery. I don't believe they are a mass builder like deadlifts or squats but I do think they have their purpose in a athletes training routine.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

They were awesome for my traps when I did them. They're hard on the joints though.

Wannabebig Member
    They are great for explosiveness for in sports, but not if you are trying to bulk.
    Started working out in 2003.

AIM ::: GiganteSHS

thanks guys.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Power Cleans are for Athletic purposes. It basically trains your hips, and your CNS for lower body explosion. It's a very weak exercise for bodybuilding purposes.

See, I heard that it was good for traps and forearms, mainly. I just didn't know but I've tried them and they don't feel too bad.

My Exploits

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    For traps and forearms, you could do hang cleans. They are a variation of power cleans, but you start with the bar at your knees and pull from there.

http://www.jva.ontariostrongman.ca/ARTOL.htm

They do work quite a few muscles from your toes all the way up...

traps, hips, lower back, abs, shoulders, biceps (pulling motion), quads and hams (depending on how low you dip). If you incorporate a press then that also will work your triceps....

You can gain some size if you do them...but if size is your main goal then as others have suggested, you'd probably be better off doing squats and deads first.

Wannabebig Member
    At football we do power cleans, hang cleans, clean shrugs and power snatch which are all pretty much in the same family of excercises. Out of those I like the hang cleans best probably. I think they help more with muscle.
    Started working out in 2003.

AIM ::: GiganteSHS

i figured that since cleans work just bout every major muscle group, they would be great for size (growth) can someone explain why they wouldnt be?
    thanks
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    very long time under tension

they are a very quick explosive movement and more suited for explosiveness than muscle growth

you would have to do alot of them to add up to enough TUT to really build some mass from them, i feel them working my traps alot more than anything else
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

good wrestling excercise then huh? good for power? im pretty strong but i lack in power and explosivenes.
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Banned
    Same as what other people have said really: Awesome for athletic purposes, not so great for bodybuilding.

However as they are very good for increasing overall strength and power, I think they have a place in any routine. Personally I love them (although I have only done them for a year) and find that they sort of push along my other lifts when thay are starting to stick. Its always good to be developing some extra power and speed-strength. Because it is a very technical lift and requires a lot of muscles, it probably has a place in developing core/functional strength as well which is also a good thing to be developing.

If mass is your thing, don't favouritize power cleans but treat them as a fun slightly varied exercise in your routine and as a guage of your overall body development: strength, speed, balance, concentration.