The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    which is best???? ive tryed both i think dumbells are best
    but could be wrong.
    p.s for mass

donnyx15

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I don't think either is best. Both are very good exercises. It is good to replace one with the other every once in a while. No need to do both in one workout though.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

There both good, db's you get a full ROM , and with bb's you can handle more wieght. Just mix it up every once and a while.Unless you plan on powerlifting.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

For building mass, I'd suggest DBs. I really feel that barbell bench works your triceps more than anything, so if you're trying to stack mass on your chest, go with the DB bench. By having to stabilize the DBS laterally as well as axially along your body, you're using more muscles to keep the DBs in balance. You can work up to almost the same weight you use on bench with DBs, too. It'll also let you see which side is weaker, unlike BB bench, which will usually really favor the stronger side.

I think you will get similar results with either form of resistance.

bone crusher
    I have switched to DB's to strengthen stabilizer muscles hopefully to enhance my bb bench. I noticed that my db reps were significantly weaker than were bb reps leading me to think that my tri's were being worked primarily on bb, and my chest needed more work. thus i have switched for a little while.
    I also added dips to help as well.

Your strength difference is attributable to the neurological differences in the two exercises, not that one was working the pecs more than the other. If you switch back and forth, you will notice that as your strength goes up on one, the other will have dropped when you first switch back. Now, of course, as you train, your strength will go back up and possibly to new levels. For example, you can bench 250 lbs for 5 reps and decide to switch to dumbells. You use the 100 lb dumbells for 4 when you first try. Over the weeks you are able to get up to the 105s for 6 reps. Now, you decide to switch back to the bench press and you are only able to get the 250 lbs up for 3 reps. What the heck is going on? The difference is in the nervous system, not the musculature. After a few sessions you are now lifting 250 lbs for 7 reps (your nervous system has readapted).

I just prefer to flat bench with a bar and then hit dumbells on the incline press...

I have never really worked with flat dumbells but I think I may change that soon..

bone crusher
    That is an interesting point there chris. So would you say that bb bench requires similar exersion as db but recruits different set of stabilizers, thus the needed nervous development?

Also, i read in another post that one should be able to bench similar weight whether it db or bb, but mine differs by 40 lbs (185x3 for bb before i switched-140 for total db weight)

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Hulk
    I just prefer to flat bench with a bar and then hit dumbells on the incline press...
    Agreed. That is what i do.

I find it uncomfortable using DB's for flat benching because of how much the front delts are brought into play and how far down you can let the DB's go. I'd much prefer this increased range of motion ofr am incline or decline where it is hitting my chest mre than my delts.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Doc, whoever wrote that you should be able to lift similar weight with a barbell and dumbells had their head up their ass! There is not anyone alive that can do this, or if there is, they have a serious problem. I ask anyone here to try switching like I said and see if I am correct or not. I think that each trainee should choose which they are most comfortable with, and use that exercise.

bone crusher
    thanks for the info and setting me straight chris! That weight dicrepancy was really bugging me. Needless to say i read that post over at MM.com.
    I've almost suceeded in unlearning most the bad tips i picked up over there
    Right now my appreciation for the dumbbell is growing so i'll stick with that one.]

Thanks again!
    Last edited by the doc; 02-17-2001 at 02:09 PM.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    I've always liked DB over BB beacuse I feel a better stretch in my pecs. Also, why not do both?? One week try doing DB and the next BB, and stick to the one that you feel works best for you!

I don't think you should do both by switching every week, because I feel that would make progress harder to chart based on the reasons I gave above. If you switch every couple of months I think that would be fine, but I feel every week would be too often.

Yeah, i've always thought that if you want to get the best gain from an exercise you have to let your body slightly adapt to it before you start changing it around.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I agree with what Chris said. I have been using DB's to do chest and when i tried to switch back to BB's a couple days ago. I found that i'm 20Ibs weaker on it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Chris, i'll try switching it once a month.

No problem.