The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    First, I want to say how much I have learned on this forum in the past couple of weeks, and how much I value the advice given by the people on this forum
    Here is my situation. I am 5'11, 170, age 20, about 13%bf. I have been lifting for about 5 years, but only seriously bodybuilding for about a year. I broke my wrist the day after christmas, and just got the cast off a week ago. Wrist is still to weak to handle any significant amount of weight, it will probably be another week before I can get back to full on training, but I'm trying to get my routine straight in the mean time. I have still been doing legs, abs, and cardio. My goal are to drop the BF% down a bit(has risen with the combination of holidays, no training, and stressful school) to be in presentable condition for spring break, then begin to add lean mass. Please give my your input on my routine. Thanks alot

Sun.- Legs
    Squat: 2x10 warmup, 4x 12,10,8,6 working
    Hack Squat or leg extension(will alternate), 3x10,8,6
    SLD: 4x12,10,8,6
    Standing or lying leg curl: 3x12,10,8
    Calf raise, 3x15,12,10(I usually do something like drop set or rest-pause, as my calfs are stubborn)

Mon-off

Tues-Am cardio
    PM-Chest, Tri's
    Incline BB or DB: 3x10,8,6
    Flat BB or DB: 3x10,8,6
    Flat or incline fly: 3x12,10,8
    Weighted dip: 3x12,10,8
    Close grip bench, 3x12,10,8
    French press: 3x12,10,8

Wed-off

Thurs- AM cardio
    PM- Back, Bi's
    Chins, 3 sets to fail
    Barbell row: 3x10,8,6
    Seated cable row: 3,10,8,6
    One arm dumbell row: 3x12,10,8
    Standing barbell curl or preacher curl: 1 warmup, 3x12,10,8
    incline dumbell curl, 3x12,10,8

Fri-Shoulders, Abs
    Military Press, 1 warmup, 3x10,8,6 work
    Side dumbell raise, 2x10,8
    front dumbell raise, 2x10,8
    lying rear delt raise, 3x12,10,8
    Shrug, 3x12,10,8
    crunch, 3 sets to fail
    hanging leg raise, 3 sets to fail

Sat-Am cardio

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nice routine in my opinion..

You have a good selection of mass building exercises and the split is arrnaged quite nicely for recovery time...

I would be tempted to move shrugs over to back, but thats just me...

I also would not be doing the volume you do for some of your muscle groups.. ie triceps I donlt think need 9 sets after 9 sets of chest previously... But thats me and I am realise people progress better on different volumes..

See how you go.. If you feel like you are slowing up drop the volume

Good luck mate !

Hulk is right about the triceps volume: triceps are a small muscle compared to the pectorals. 9 sets is sufficient for chest, but you only really need 6 maximum for triceps. I personally do about 4-5 sets but when i include my drop sets or whatever, it usually equates to about 6 sets.

Also, it's up to you, but i don't see the real point in front raises for shoulders. Your presses and chest presses hit the front delt head sufficiently so there is no real reason to do this exercise.

Also, why do you do 3 sets for rear delts but 2 for side laterals? 2 is sufficient for rear also.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the input guys
    I forgot to mention that I do the dips leaning forward to focus mainly on the lower chest. Do you think I should just drop one of the tricep excercises or maybe do just 2 sets of each?
    Also, I think i'll just drop the front raises. I was doing 3 sets for rear delts because I think they are lacking, but maybe I was overdtraining them?

Originally posted by obxwes

I forgot to mention that I do the dips leaning forward to focus mainly on the lower chest.
    You can't focus primarily on the lower chest. Its either all of the chest or non of the chest.

Originally posted by obxwes
    Do you think I should just drop one of the tricep excercises or maybe do just 2 sets of each?
    If you do the dips for your chest then get rid of the flye movement. keep your 9 sets for chest.

Then just do 2-3 sets each of the close grips and french presses. It's up to you whether you do 2 or 3 sets. Go by instinct. If you feel like you've done the job the fuk the other sets, go home, rest and eat and grow.

Dead easy.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

If you continue on that routine, you will remain 170 lbs.
    I would suggest you cut the total number of work sets in half.

hey chris, i am trying the 1 working set for shoulders. I did it on friday and i will let you know of the results in a few weeks ok...

Fair enough.

Wannabebig Member
    Chris,
    Do you think I am better off doing only 2 sets for each excercise and keeping the same number of excercises, or just eliminating, say, one excercise for each bodypart?

Wannabebig Member
    Bump

I would eliminate one exercise per bodypart, or do no more than 5 working sets overall---i.e. 2/2/1 for three exercises. For example, on your chest day you are performing 15 sets for your chest. You may think that dips and close grip benches work your tris and not your chest, but you are mistaken. Your chest is hit quite hard on both of those exercises. I would recommend you do the bench and incline for your chest and then do skull crushers and pressdowns for the triceps. On shoulder day, skip the front and rear raises, your shoulders get plenty of work between military presses, side laterals, and chest and back day. On back day, skip the dumbell rows or perform 2 working sets of the chins and barbell rows and do 1 set of dumbell rows. Overall, you are performing way too many dedundant sets and overall sets. Try my suggestions and let me know when you hit 190 lbs.

P.S. Make sure you are eating plenty of calories.

Wannabebig Member
    We'll do chris. Thanks alot for your help