The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad experiences in gym

I never thought i would have a bad encounter in the gym. After all, i only workout in 60-90 minute intervals, and i always keep to myself. I consider my self abiding to the inherent laws within each gym (wiping down, sharing equipment).

Well that changed yesterday. About half way through the work out, i sat on a bench that was not occupied. I was planning on doing skull crushers, when all of a sudden the guy to the left of me starts screaming at me. "Im going to move my bench because you are obviously to stupid to realize that you have all the room in the gym but you choose to invade my space ... insert derrogatroy terms...I came to work out, not for this bull****." I was quite stunned, as i hadnt planned on pissing him off. I was close to him, but he had an enourmous amount of space to his left which he could have moved toward, while i had another bench to the right of me which was one with a bench bar so i couldnt move over. I hadnt hit him. In fact, i hadnt even started lifting. I just sat down on the ****ing bench. He starts yelling at me for a good 3 minutes, as if i am his son (i am 19 and this guy is pushing 40 years old). I try to say sorry, that it wasnt my intention to invade on his privacy, but he was so consumed by his emotions that developed over such a slight incident that he doesnt listen. It was embarressing. See, i wouldnt have cared had i been wrong. But i wasnt wrong. I dont even know why i apoligized (probably to avert further conflict). IF ANYTHING he was the one that was wrong. The set up looked something like this

Mirrior

|------Blank space-------||his bench| | my bench| |--|another bench|--|

It really put a damper on my ****ing day- in fact its still bothering me today. I dont know why. I also dont understand why he blew up in the ****ing gym over something like this. He proceeded to stare at me the rest of the time i was working out.

I know i shoudlnt worry about people like this, but it really bothered me to be blamed for something i know i didnt do wrong. I always see this guy in the gym too.

Anyone else have any bad experiences like this before ?
    Last edited by kozen; 07-16-2004 at 01:49 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    That is why I only work out at the older gyms. Sure there is less equipement but also and more importatnt less bull****. When I go I want to get in and out, hit it hard and fast. I can't stand when someone talks as if the gym is therse alone. Hey, we all started somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kozen
    I know i shoudlnt worry about people like this, but it really bothered me to be blamed for something i know i didnt do wrong. I always see this guy in the gym too.

Anyone else have any bad experiences like this before ?
    Just some loser that had a crappy day and found an excuse to take his anger out on someone. He may just not like people near him, either way the problem is on his side. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Next time don't say a word, just laugh at him. Be sure to let him know you are laughing at him.
    ...whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government,...

Wannabebig New Member
    Next time punch him right in the face and say " shut up b*tch " .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

You pay your money just like him. if he does it again tell management that you want your money back because this ******* is harassing you and you didn't pay to put up with that crap. I am guessing they will side with you and prolly deal with him You might even get a free month out of it. Long time member or not, your money is worth the same if not more then his seeing how he is 40 and you are 19. You would be around longer then him. It sounds like someone needs to lay off the juice.

They say that anger is a good motivator.

I would've redirected his negativity to fuel my workout. (But then again, that's just me.)

Don't sweat it, dude. We're here for you.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wow. Real winner there. You expect that for a four year-old kid, not a forty year old man. If he ever does anything stupid like that again, either ask him what his problem is, and definitely do not apologize for something that you didn't do wrong, or just walk off and tell management after letting him get worked up for a little bit.

Like Allup said, just some loser that was having a bad day/life/whatever and found an excuse to get it all off his chest. Maybe his wife is cheating on him with a man your age, and now your invading his space.. or god knows what. One way or another, his problem. No point stressing about it now.

Or just accidentally drop a weight on his foot.
    Last edited by Nights; 07-16-2004 at 04:34 PM.
    LaLa

or maybe you should stop foolin around with his wife

you dog, you
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

beat him with barbell

pull a Dave Chapelle and say "whatt"?

I don't know, man. He just sounds like a dickweed. I don't know what to tell you, but personally, I would want to switch gyms.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

We do beatings with a crowbar.

It's a lot more fun when you can physically intimidate 99% of the people lifting in your gym. They don't tend to mouth off.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Banned
    Kozen, dont worry about that guy man.......

if i were you ide keep doing the same stuff you do on the same benches, etc.
    dont let him get to you bro

if you go to a big gym there is probably a high chance that your gonna run into a guy like that or sometimes someone could be having a bad day you know...., maybe he'll apalogize to you next time you see him

my advice is if he bitches at you again for no reason: take a 10lb dumbell and punch him dead in his shi.t
    Last edited by sh0es; 07-16-2004 at 06:05 PM.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    That makes me angry.
    w00t

Banned
    dude if you didn't bust a gut laughing at this guy then you're taking life far too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    dude if you didn't bust a gut laughing at this guy then you're taking life far too seriously.
    I don't think he's taking life too seriously at all. It's really easy when it's not you to say "laugh it off". The forty year old obviously has some issues, and he ended up taking them out on you. I am guessing he is alot bigger than you? If it really bothers you that much you could go talk to management, or you could handle it yourself. Personally, I would do the later. If you go back to the gym and he continues to stare you down, I would go right up to him and ask him what his problem is, and if he starts mouthing you off, tell him to go f-ck himself.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    We do beatings with a crowbar.

It's a lot more fun when you can physically intimidate 99% of the people lifting in your gym. They don't tend to mouth off.
    You can never go wrong with the 'ol crowbar trick.

However, my approach is a little different. It involves finding out what car the jerk drives and a couple pounds of sugar in the 'ol gas tank.

Last edited by David; 07-17-2004 at 06:29 AM.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Maybe it's by virtue of my size and experience, but I find things like this hysterical.

In the event someone bitches at me in the gym I simply look at them, say something like: "You must be kidding", and keep walking. All I can do is laugh.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Coming from a gym where NO ONE has simple gym etiquette nor understands "workout space" I guess I can see where the guy is coming from. If he was already there, and you sat down after him, then it wouldn't have been that hard for you to move your bench on the other side of him..and allow him his space. Thats what I would have done. Its not hard to move your bench to the other side to give it to him. However, if there was plenty of space between you and him, he's just stupid.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

I've actually had some pretty stupid stuff happen to me. The little kiddies just don't understand common courtesy here at this school. (little kiddies..skinny asses that are between ages 18-21). I was in the middle of doin cable flyes one time, and this kid walked UNDER the left cable so he could get to the lat pulldown quicker. Another time I was doin front raises and the kid walked DIRECTLY in front of me...like an inch away from the dbell as it was raised. Both of them got a good "talking" too.
    Last edited by Spiderman; 07-17-2004 at 09:37 AM.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Kozen you should be proud that you kept your temper, make him a reason to get bigger! then when your real big, he wont say anything.
    Last edited by Rock; 07-17-2004 at 10:42 AM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Eh, **** him. You apologized to avoid a confrontation, not that big a deal in this case IMO. If he ****ed your girlfriend and you back down, thats something else. Dont let other peoples stupidity bring you down man, just keep doing what you do.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    Both of them got a good "talking" too.
    Haha, Spidey's the one in the gym that yelled at kozen.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Depending on my mood I would have said, "you gotta be kidding me buddy," or I would have told him to go stuff it, politely of course.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo