The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

can u all do me a favor???

Hey. So im hearing a lot about well-balanced diet. Well if u all can tell me what foods go into a well balanced diet, id like to do it. Um, my favor is...i created a webpage of myself and put pics on it. I have the MULTIMEDIA section with old pics, and the MOST RECENT PICS section with pics taken yesterday. If u all can go to my site: www.freewebs.com/venezianprince and take a look at the older pics of me, then the new....basically, i want to get back to how i looked 2 years ago, WITH bigger muscles though. 2 years ago i was thin, if u see the pics of me now..im not too thin. I was 145 pounds 2 years ago, now im 170. Id like to get back down to losing the fat and look like that again. So my question is, do you think i could get back down to that in 7 weeks by eating a well-balanced diet with 5 days a week of working out and an hour of cardio in the morning, OR starving myself, OR just working out 5 days a week-doing an hour of cardio in the morning and eating whatever, just NOT kurking out on sweets. To tell ya the truth, i used to weigh 170 when i was in 7th grade...then during the summer i went only eating a half a meal a day and i lost 25 pounds in one month. But it was hell and i dont wanna do it again. So whats ur thoughts on how to get back to that?? Id rather eat a well-balanced diet while working out 5 days a week and doing an hour of cardio first thing in the morning AND using my abdominal workout videos which last me 25 pounds about 3 days a week. Think thats a good idea? or is there no hope for me to get back to 2 years ago look??? Lol, help me out please. I thought Id ask the pros before i do anything. (www.freewebs.com/venezianprince) Also, the chicks like my looks better 2 years ago

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    another thing, lol sorry...i tried the well-balanced diet a while ago and i lost about 3 pounds every week for 3 weeks. then after that i stopped losing weight and i gained it back sooooooooo easily....so whats so good about well-balanced???? when i starved myself to lose 25 pounds i didnt gain it back for 2 years!

Banned
    Why are you only giving yourself 7 weeks?

Italian Stallion
    Dude why are you in such a hurry?

First off, apologies if I get the wrong tone here, but your question is pretty fundamental, so I'm guessing you don't know a great deal about nutrition. I don't say that to be insulting, just want to make sure I give you the information you need rather than pitching too low or too high.

A well-balanced diet is just what it says - it is well balanced. Don't worry about the word "diet" in there. The word diet has two meanings; "a diet" is usually a specific eating plan; "your diet" is what you eat. Someone who just eats whatever they want, goes to McDonalds every day etc. isn't "on a diet", but they do "eat a diet of crappy foods". A well balanced diet isn't a diet plan, it's just a way of eating generally.

A well balanced diet is what everyone should eat - it just means that you need to get all the nutrients your body needs in sensible amounts, and eat a variety of healthy foods. Two people could eat completely different foods and still eat equally good, well balanced diets. There's nothing limiting about it, you can eat foods you like all the time, you just need to give it a bit of thought.

I'll give you some basic ground rules, but really I'd suggest you learn about nutrition in general, which is more than I can type in one post. DO some searches on the internet and read up a bit - obviously be wary of anything written by nutrition companies, but there's plenty of good information out there.

• Eat regular meals. At the very least eat 3 times per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), but you're better off eating 4, 5 or 6 times if possible. A lot of people find 3 meals plus a couple of small snacks a good balance.
    • Eat enough - absolutely do not starve yourself. I'll come to weight loss later in the post, but starvation diets are bad for your health, hard to stick to, and they aren't at all fun.
    • Eat fresh food rather than processed food wherever possible. What is processed food? Pretty much anything in a packet or tin. Some foods are more processed than others - a packet of frozen peas with no additives isn't very processed (and is therefore not bad to eat), a candy bar is highly processed (and therefore bad to eat).
    • Eat several pieces of fresh fruit every day. Choose fruits you like.
    • Eat several servings of vegetables every day. Choose veg you like. Try to have them raw or lightly cooked (steaming is great, lightly boiling is OK, boiling them to death is bad).
    • Get some good fats in your diet. What are good fats? Oily fish (e.g. salmon, tuna, trout), or fish oil supplements. Nuts and seeds. Olive oil, flaxseed oil, walnut oil etc. What are bad fats? Margerine, shortening, butter, excessive animal fat. Don't get too hung up about it - eating a bit of fat on your pork, or using butter on your bread isn't going to do too much harm, just keep it in moderation. And remember - it's better to eat some "bad fats" and some "good fats" than to eat neither. Your body needs to take in some fat for good health.
    • Eat most of your carbs as complex carbs. Think things like potatoes, wholemeal bread (ideally granary rather than finely milled wholemeal), wholemeal pasta, brown rice etc., as well as vegetables. White bread, white rice etc. aren't as good, so try to limit them but don't worry if you want to eat them sometimes - just not all the time. Again, get your foods as unprocessed as possible
    • Eat good lean sources of protein. Fish, lean meat, beans, lentils, eggs etc. are good - sausages, burgers, processed meats aren't so good. You don't need to get rid of every last scrap of fat in your meat, but limit the fat - choose extra lean ground beef rather than normal ground beef, trim most of the visible fat from steaks, things like that.
    • Eat a variety of foods. Don't just eat chicken breast and rice evey meal for a month - try different things. But don't worry about it too much - you don't need every single meal to contain massive variety. We're thinking variety over the course of the week. So for example, you don't need to eat 4 different fruits every single day, it's fine if one day you want to eat 4 apples and no other fruit. Just don't eat apples and no other fruit every day. Use common sense.

Now, that's not a complete list or rulebook by any stretch of the imagination. I'd strongly urge you to read up about nutrition more fully. But what I'm trying to get across is the need to eat a variety of good foods, and to steer clear of heavily refined and processed foods where you can.

One important point is that eating like this isn't specifically a way to lose weight - it's how you should eat for your entire life. You can easily adapt it to lose fat, put on muscle or whatever. But this way of eating is good for your health; crash diets may lose you the weight faster, but at what cost to your general wellbeing?

As far as weight loss goes, I'd suggest you take your time to lose the weight. You're not obese, just take it slowly and you'll not only have more success, you'll find it easier to achieve and maintain.

Spend a few weeks figuring out what you currently eat. Get a notebook and write down everything you eat every day, including portion sizes, for a few weeks. Use a website like http://www.fitday.com or http://www.nutritiondata.com to work out how many calories were in what you ate, and average it out. At the start and end of this period of monitoring, weigh yourself. Also take note of how much cardio exercise you do in this period.

If you stayed the same weight over this period, then what you ate is your "maintenance" calories. If you gained weight, you were eating more than maintenance; if you lost weight, you were eating less. Figure out how many pounds you gained or lost per week of your monitoring period (e.g. if you kept your log for 3 weeks and lost 2 pounds during that time, you lost 0.66 of a pound per week). For every pound per week gained or lost, you were eating around 500 calories per day above or below your maintenance (e.g. for 0.66 pounds/week lost, you were eating about 330 cals/day under maintenance).

One caveat - bear in mind that the water content in your body can make a difference. If you're dehydrated one time you weigh yourself and not the next, your weight could change by a few pounds. Try to waigh yourself at the same time each day (e.g. first thing in the morning after using the toilet).

Now, you know what your maintenance calories are. Aim to eat something like 500 cals per day less than this total. Now, for the next few weeks, track what you eat just like you did before, but try to keep to this target figure of calories. Get your meals according to the guidelines above - eat regular, healthy meals from a variety of sources.

Keep monitoring your weight - if you're losing a pound or two per week, that's great. Stick at it. I'd suggest that's a healthier rate of loss than 3 pounds per week. Once you get to your ideal weight, just up the calories a little but still eat in the same manner - it's doing your body the world of good.

Once you get used to how many cals are in the foods you tend to eat, you can be less rigourous with the monitoring - you know roughly how much you need to eat every day. Just keep an eye on your weight, if you start to put on fat then maybe monitor again and trim a few hundred calories off your diet until you slowly lose the excess weight.
    Last edited by Aspect; 07-18-2004 at 02:57 AM.

fat all my life=Help me
    ! = Aspect

What a post! complete , great info.
    Last edited by jimmyD; 07-18-2004 at 08:20 AM.