The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

lateral delt head weak as water...

The lateral heads of my shoulders seem to be pretty weak. I can't pull off side laterals with the lightest dumbells I can find (7 KG). Obviously I'm just starting out and am looking for ways to get my shoulders stronger... Weirdly u would think I would be weak as water for that weight, but my shoulders actually look quite broad...

What do you suggest I do? Stick to compound movements like the military press until my delts are stronger? I can't finder any lighter dumbells than the 7s.

At the moment my shoulder routine looks like this:

Dumbell Shoulder Presses 3x8
    Smith Machine Presses 3x8
    Dumbell Front Raises 3x8
    Reverse Pec-Dec 3x8

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated....

Cheers

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how strong are you on military press?

I reckon I can press about 80 pounds for a max of 5 reps...

You can try doing upright rows. I like these, as they have really helped with my lateral deltoid development.

Also, if your lateral heads are pretty weak, maybe you should try working them out at the beginning of your workout when you have more energy. I start off my shoulder workout with upright rows and lateral raises, because my lateral head is the weakest part of my shoulder. I've been doing this for a while now, and I've gotten good results.
    Last edited by mike107; 07-18-2004 at 03:59 PM.

thanx mike,

I'll try the upright rows on my next workout...

I used to hold my arms out (like a T) for a long as I could to work my shoulders before I had weights. When you get better you can add weights.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    I used to hold my arms out (like a T) for a long as I could to work my shoulders before I had weights. When you get better you can add weights.
    how would this make your stronger? wouldnt holding them up just build a little more endurance
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    how would this make your stronger? wouldnt holding them up just build a little more endurance
    If your really weak then the resistence provided will be enough to increase strength and then you could move to using weights. I remember when I couldnt do laterals with more than 12lbs, lol. And yes I know this thread is old.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Under Construction
    When you do the uprights, grip fairly wide, it will hit delts more. Narrow grip uprights involve a lot of traps.

Also keep in mind that uprights are rough on the rotator cuffs and can easily cause injury. Having had rotator problems in the past, I avoid upright rows.
    Just one guy's opinion.

upright rows =
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Like a moth to the flame... I really enjoyed upright rows once.

They are truly great for building your lateral deltoids. Take great care with them -- don't force the poundages up too rapidly, and stop if/when you get RC pain.

Banned
    i do upright rows with dumbells, seems to work pretty good

This is a really old thread..

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Since when could you isolate different heads of a muscle? Don't the anteriar delt and lateral delt contract as a whole?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Since when could you isolate different heads of a muscle? Don't the anterior delt and lateral delt contract as a whole?
    ??
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 04-15-2005 at 08:56 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I think that guy "gibbs" looks like Lurch from the Addams Family. Since this IS an old thread, I feel fairly safe to say so..lol.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Try supersetting Arnies with side laterals.

The Arnies hit the front and side delts, and the side laterals will hit the pre-exhausted side delts again.

You'll be using even WEENIE-ER weights for the side laterals, but you should really stimulate those side delts doing it this way. Try 3 supersets of 8 each. I don't even do militaries anymore because I'm finding the Arnies make me wider and give me better overall shoulder development. Front delts get hit with chest anyway.

Upright rows are great too, as are hang cleans, which also hit traps, forearms ...

Also, don't forget your rear delts - face pulls and incline, face down drop sets of rear delt raises will hit these.

mind elaborating on arnies, built? i seem to not know the term..
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Quote Originally Posted by IZich
    mind elaborating on arnies, built? i seem to not know the term..
    ARNOLD PRESSES
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Built is right about lateral, keep the weight lighter, if need be. Generally, poundage for lateral raises is low. When you go too heavy, the motion changes from a lateral delt exercise to a front delt exercise

Exactly.

Here's an Arnold press:

And when you do your standing side laterals, try to imagine you're pouring heavy, VERY full pots of tea at a distance - almost imagine you're leading with the tricep/rear delt area as you do the lift. Arms softly straight, as if you're hugging the sawed-off end of a big tree if you get what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Exactly.

Here's an Arnold press:

And when you do your standing side laterals, try to imagine you're pouring heavy, VERY full pots of tea at a distance - almost imagine you're leading with the tricep/rear delt area as you do the lift. Arms softly straight, as if you're hugging the sawed-off end of a big tree if you get what I mean.
    Ive never hugged a big tree. try to visualize hugging your overweight aunt

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bas
    Ive never hugged a big tree. try to visualize hugging your overweight aunt
    Bwahahahahahha!

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Exactly.

Here's an Arnold press:

Man, i worked these into my shoulder routine tonight for "fun". They whooped my white ass. I totally forgot about this exercise. After my standing military, rear/front/lateral raises, i was pretty wasted...but i did em anyway. I could only mange 55lb dumbells haha i was so burnt out. They felt great though.

off topic: i set a new personal best for OH dumbell extensions for tri's tonight....got 110lb for 7! :evillaugh
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbs
    The lateral heads of my shoulders seem to be pretty weak. I can't pull off side laterals with the lightest dumbells I can find (7 KG). Obviously I'm just starting out and am looking for ways to get my shoulders stronger... Weirdly u would think I would be weak as water for that weight, but my shoulders actually look quite broad...

What do you suggest I do? Stick to compound movements like the military press until my delts are stronger? I can't finder any lighter dumbells than the 7s.

At the moment my shoulder routine looks like this:

Dumbell Shoulder Presses 3x8
    Smith Machine Presses 3x8
    Dumbell Front Raises 3x8
    Reverse Pec-Dec 3x8

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated....

Cheers
    Dump the smith machine. Do real presses. That'll get those shoulders working.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300