The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Am I Lifting too Often?

Hi there,

I've been lifting weights off and on for two years, and I've recently begun to lift heavy again after a four month lay off. I did lift during those four months, but not to "get big". I'm 6'3" and weigh about 185 pounds; I'm taking GNC's Mega Creatine and I use Designer Whey protein. I'll probably swtich to a different creatine in three weeks, as I don't think Mega is worth the extra money.

I've been lifting heavy since the third week of May: I've gained a little over ten pounds, I'm extremely lean and cut, and I look great. My weight is probably a little misleading: my left leg is considerably smaller than my right leg, due to a childhood accident that nearly cost me that leg.

I've read through the WBB routines, and I've noticed something: my routine is very similar (sans the squats, which are dangerous for me to do) but I'm lifting five times a week, not three. Coupled with this has been my recent concern that I may be lifting too often, which could be depressing possible gains.

I basically do:

Day one, chest
    Day two, arms
    day three, legs abs
    day four, chest
    day five, arms

If my routine is similar to WBB III -- and it is -- shoud I only work out three times a week? I should mention, I'm working this Summer as a landscaper, which is a physically demanding job.

Thanks for the comments and advice,

Mike

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I think that you are lifting too often. You are using muscle groups on consecutive days. For example, when you work your chest on day one, you are probably using your biceps, which then get worked the next day when you do arms. I would say turn day two and day four into rest days or cardio days. 3 days a week in the gym is just fine, especially when you over-lap muscle groups (ie-you actually work your shoulders when you do your bench on day one, but also if you do some flies on day five). I know you may feel idle going only three days a week, but you must remember that you do your muscle growing outside the gym. Check out my journal for the program i set up for myself. Its based very loosely on the WBB routines. Its been working great for me, I've been putting on weight pretty rapidly so far (link below).
    "...and the monk told me 'I will share with you the three phrases that have been used by our ancestors for generation after generation when motivation was needed.' and he looked at me straight in the eye with a deep solemn look and said:
    'Just f***ing do it.
    Just f***ing do it.
    Just f***ing do it.'"

If you help my journal, it may help you back!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Dog
    For example, when you work your chest on day one, you are probably using your biceps, which then get worked the next day when you do arms.
    Ah! Please note that that should read *using your triceps, not biceps.
    "...and the monk told me 'I will share with you the three phrases that have been used by our ancestors for generation after generation when motivation was needed.' and he looked at me straight in the eye with a deep solemn look and said:
    'Just f***ing do it.
    Just f***ing do it.
    Just f***ing do it.'"

If you help my journal, it may help you back!

You're correct that I'm consecutively working muscle groups. I've seen other routines that are similar, but I do agree that lifting as heavy as I am may be detrimental to maximum gains.

On the other hand, my triceps look great. When I get a chance I'll post some pictures in the forum. Thanks for the advice,

Mike

The arms day is givin you a double-dikkens. I'd make it a back day maybe. Also make the day after legs a rest day maybe if you're going to failure (or close)

Your working your arms indirectly assuming you lift as hard as you say. Combo them up with something on the same day (ex. back & bi, shoulder or chest & tri).
    Last edited by AllUp; 07-19-2004 at 11:05 AM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Allup --

I was too general: when I say "arms" I am also working my back; I work my shoulders on days that I work my chest.

Do you think I should drop to three days a week? I'm thinking that I shoud.

Wannabebig Member

not training too often

I train 5x/week one muscle group per week current routine
    monday: legs/abs
    tuesday: chest
    wednesday: tricep/shoulder
    thurs: bicep
    fri: back

you should be fine training more than 3x/week just keep your sets low, lift heavy, eat lots of protein and you should make gains

hammin'
    ^^ i don't think i've ever seen a day devoted entirely to biceps....
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Quote Originally Posted by BaamIce
    I train 5x/week one muscle group per week current routine
    monday: legs/abs
    tuesday: chest
    wednesday: tricep/shoulder
    thurs: bicep
    fri: back

you should be fine training more than 3x/week just keep your sets low, lift heavy, eat lots of protein and you should make gains

do bis 2 days in a row????

do tris 3 days in a row??

hrmmmmmm.....

Wannabebig Member
    bicep workout total # of sets:
    Straight bar curls 4 sets
    Curl bar curls 3 sets
    Pull-ups 2 sets

Hammer Curls 3 sets
    alternating curls 2 sets
    Pull-ups 2 sets

I alternate between dumbbells and barbells each week for a better rom using dumbbells