The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

hmm, I like to be big!!!

Do I need a weightlifting belt?

I was doing squats today, and my back was hurting like crazy, I could barely finish, and my squats were done in horrible form. I prolly should have given it up, but, I didn't. The pain was like a short stabbing pain just on the bottom of upper back muscles. It really affected my badly. If its not a weightlifting belt, does anyone else have suggestions?
    Last edited by nejar462; 10-21-2001 at 07:14 PM.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Were you maxing or repping? Had you recently done deads or was your back bothering you at all beforehand?

I have recently resorted to using a belt on my heaviest sets of squats, deads and goodmornings(1-3 rep maxes). I do however do a loot of back and ab work which helps strengthen my back. Don't neglect these areas.

Is your back bothering you now? Soreness? Pain?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

As latty said build up your abs and lower back. A weight belt is ment to protect your lower back not your upper back, by horrible form i will guess that you lost the arch in your back causeing you to lean forward overloading the upperback muscles. If you ever get a sharp pain while lifting STOP, missing a set wont hurt your progress any and could save you from injury.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    yeah its kinda bothering me now, I was doing my 3 rep max, actually my bad form was me not being able to go down as low as before. I usualyy go parallel, but thi time i couldn't, I could only go just before parallel.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    Don't sacrifice form for weight, especially on a big movement like the squat! tuttut If you feel pain in your back you should stop immediately. You'll get a better workout with a weight you can handle with proper form. Using too much weight might set you back for a very long time if you injure your back.

IMO if you use a belt when training you should use if only for extra safety, not as a means to lift heavier weights that you otherwise wouldn't manage. Training isn't competition.

liftagain is a wise panda

weight belts help to keep stricter form, correct?

I would say no to that. I found that i had worse form using the belt when i started out cause i expected the belt to protect me. Lowering the weight and getting a form spotter did a heck of alot more.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Well normally, I'd agree, the only thing is, that I was doing this weight pretty easily for a long time, 300 lbs, and even moved up past it to 310, but, for some reason it just didn't work, plus, my back was hurting even when I did my 200 lbs for warm ups. I just wanted to push through. I'm going to try a weightlifting belt in 2 weeks for my next squat day. And, Ill see how to goes. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to lower the weight.
    Last edited by nejar462; 10-22-2001 at 01:02 PM.

I've found that wearing a belt has helped in my form. It restricts my 'core' I guess.

I know the purpose of a belt is to protect your back. Would it be beneficial for me to wear one when I do deadlifts? I'm always worried that I am going to injure my back even though I'm pretty sure I'm using perfect form. Do you guys think it would be better if I did. People often say that if you use a belt to much your back musles will get weak and leave you exposed to injury. But I don't think this will be the case with me since I won't wear it while squatting.

Weight belts are used/made to reduce chance of injury and take some pressure off the lower back. They will do just that if worn correctly. I really don't think you will have a problem with your lower back getting too weak. I haven't so far. I use a weight belt on heavy squats and deads.

I know that a lot of people say that using a belt is a bad idea, because it supposedly doesn't allow for optimun strengthening of the low back and abs during squats, deadlifts, etc., but I would recommend a belt to anyone who tends to develop back pain during these exercises, and rely on other, more specific exercises, like prone extensions, for strengthening the back. I think this is especially true for people with long torsos and narrow hips. If you do use a belt, it isn't going to do much good unless you pull it really tight .

Thought you guys might be interested in this three part article that is contradictory to most of the posts so far.

Part 1: http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_121back.html

Part 2:http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_122back.html

Part 3:http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_123back.html

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    I haven't used a belt on any movements for a long time now and I think it has helped me a lot. I feel much more in control when I have to use my own muscles without any support. I also feel it has helped me with functional strength in my mid section making for example breathing a lot easier during heavy lifts/sets.

but not that small either
    I use a belt cuz it's cool and I look like a hardcore lifter like all the big boys in my gym. They all wear belts.

But for real, it helps my form, and I cannot do heavy squats or heavy deadlifts without a belt. I used to not wear a belt, but one of the guys in my gym (a big competitive bodybuilder) told me that I will pay big time for not wearing a belt down the line.

I dunno if he's right, but I'm so used to a belt that I will never not wear it again.
    Last edited by notSoBig Guy; 10-23-2001 at 09:14 PM.

Interesting articles. He's basically saying the spinal stabilization shifts from the transversus abdominus muscle to the rectus. Instead of pulling the abdominal wall in, you push the wall out against the belt. He claims you actually lose the ability to perform the bbody' natural stabilization movement and also lose the ability to feel if your pelvis is tilted forward or backward.

I think he failed to mention the real reason why employers require their employees to wear back support belts. If a back injury occurs and they didn't require use of the belt, they're afraid of being sued for not doing everything possible to prevent the injury. Whether or not the belt could actually protect against injury doesn't matter- it's what the jury thinks, not what's actually true.
    Last edited by Delphi; 10-23-2001 at 10:25 PM.

Originally posted by aeckhardt
    Thought you guys might be interested in this three part article that is contradictory to most of the posts so far.

Part 1: http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_121back.html

Part 2:http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_122back.html

Part 3:http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_123back.html
    *** Bollox articles.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

nejar462: it could be just that you did something to your back the day before or just slept funny. And the squats brought that pain out. Or is this a pain that has been going on for a while?

I had had to get some massage therepy(sp) for my lower back because of being a goalie, and i had to make sure i never do squats the day after a tough game until i could get the knotes out.

Story

I was at the Gym the other night and noticed a guy (pretty cut, about 185lbs) doing pulldowns and ASSISTED wide grip pullups. I then noticed that he had straps on to do both!! AND he was wearing a belt (very tight) the entire time. The weight wasn't anymore than my girlfriend couldnt lift!!; the pulldowns it looked like 170 or so (tried not to stare). WTF is up with that??!! I then looked at this guys forearms and they looked like my sisters. My girlfriend can vouch for me. I usually lift at home, now I remember why, to many egos!! Just thought I would share.....

eric
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    yeah Tarzan, you might be rigth actually, this hasn't been going on for a long time, hmm, lol, the most obvious thing, I didn't even see it, yeah, its hard for me to sleep on my back sometimes, for some reason i feel more comfortable in fetal for some reason, but its bad on my back sometimes.

I bought a used belt today for $10. I used it for deadlifts later today. It didn't do to much for me. It didn't feel like it was even protecting it at all.

I bought straps today too but I don't know exactly how to use them. They seem a bit too short.

I meant to ask this earlier. Can't believe nobody else did by now. Maki, why do you think these articles are bollox? One of the PT's at work was familiar with this concept and was anti- weight belts.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    well, i used a weightlifting belt, and the pain seemed to stop, I was doing them much better than usual, not too much pain.