The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    deftones81

Critique routine

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could critique my routine. I've been having trouble lately finding a routine to keep, but I'm liking this one so far. Tell me what you guys think.

Day 1: Bench Press: 8(warmup),6,6,8 reps
    DB Incline: 3 x 8-10
    Dips: 3 x 10
    Cable Crosses: 3 x 10
    Incline Flyes: 3 x 10
    Pushups

Day 2:Leg Press: 8(warmup)6,6,8
    Calf Raises: 3 x 10
    Leg Curl: 3 x 10
    Leg Extensions: 3 x 10
    Hyperextensions: 3 x 10

Day 3: Ab work

Day 4: Military Press: 8(warmup),6,6,8
    Shrugs: 3 x 10
    Deadlift: 3 x 3
    Pullups (I just started these so I only do 3 sets of whatever I can)
    Seated Rows: 3 x 8-10
    Side Lat Raises: 3 x 10

Day 5: Straight Bar Curl: 3 x 10
    Preacher Curl: 3 x 10
    Skullcrushers w/ Close Grip Bench: 3 x 10
    Pulldowns: 3 x 10
    Concentration Curls: 3 x 10
    Reverse Tricep Extensions w/ Cable: 3 x 10

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

everything looks in order. what is also really important is that you like it. you liking it is more of an important factor than you'd think because if you like you're routine you're gonna work harder and stricter. i would move the hyper extensions to the day you deadlift however, or if you need to keep it that way, separate those days father, because you're targeting the same muscle twice.

What are your goals?

How long have you been lifting?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

deftones81
    My goals are to gain strength and hopefully some size, but being a poor college kid, chowing down tons of food isn't likely to be in the cards. As far as how long I've been lifting, I lifted for about 3 years in high school, then I had to stop for a year because of illness, then when I started college, I couldn't find the time. Within the past year, I've been trying to make the same kind of gains that I had before, but the only thing that's been going up is my military press. Normally, I'd just get frustrated over not making gains, so I'd change my routine and nothing would work. I know that a few sets with low reps is the way to develope power and size, but I worry that my body is still used to the sort of workouts I had in high school (they were for football, so power and explosiveness was preached) and it won't shock my body enough to make big gains.

The hyperextension/deadlift thing is another situation I've come across. I recently started doing deadlifts again, but this time without a belt. I know a belt shouldn't matter that much, but it's a comfort thing, so my lower back is trying to get used to pulling more weight with less support. I'll end up moving my hyperextensions back to my back/shoulder day when my lower back can handle the deadlifts a little better.

Thanks for all the input I've gotten so far.

deftones81
    Is anyone else gonna respond??

Quote Originally Posted by deftones81
    but being a poor college kid, chowing down tons of food isn't likely to be in the cards.
    well i'm a college kid as well, and i can say w/o a doubt that i found it easier to get a good diet down in college than in high school. you either live on campus in dorms or off campus in a house or apt. if you live in the dorms, you have the dining commons, where you really can't make an excuse for not eating because it's buffet every meal. if you live in a house/apt, you have total control over your diet. you have a fridge, a kitchen, so you should be able to consume what you need. high school was a problem for me because decent food was at my house and i had take out for like three quarters of my meals.
    then when I started college, I couldn't find the time.
    again, i'm in college and you're just not gonna be able to convince anyone here you dont' have time. it may not be the easiest thing, but it's always possible. i work 55 hours weekly right now and am still lifting, and during the school year i work 30 - 35 hours, plus take classes, and i still have time to be very serious about my lifting.
    I'll end up moving my hyperextensions back to my back/shoulder day when my lower back can handle the deadlifts a little better.
    you should move it now because your back can't handle it. if you think your lower back is a weak link, don't make it the body part w/ the least amount of recovery time. move hypers to dl's and just lower the amount of sets, and you should be good, and able to develop quicker.

as far as not seeing gains i get the impression that you're kind of off/on w/ your diet and your lifting. trust me we've all been there at one point or another. thing you gotta realize is you're not gonna get big overnight. anything worth anything takes time and effort, so just stick w/ it. any more q's let us know.

and i don't mean to sound condescending about finding time to lift or eating properly. i'd bitch about the same two things last year when i lived on campus. but you gotta realize that the time is there, you just gotta figure out how to work it in. and again eating should be real easy in college because you're constantly in a dorm/ apt or at work, all of which you should have access to good food. it's when you're on the road a lot that it's tough to get proper nutrition, but that is not typical of college students.

Looks like a lot of chest, and arms, no squats and not enough back and shoulders.
    Deal with it.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could critique my routine. I've been having trouble lately finding a routine to keep, but I'm liking this one so far. Tell me what you guys think.

Day 1: Bench Press: 8(warmup),6,6,8 reps
    DB Incline: 3 x 8-10
    Dips: 3 x 10
    Cable Crosses: 3 x 10
    Incline Flyes: 3 x 10
    Pushups

Day 2:Leg Press: 8(warmup)6,6,8
    Calf Raises: 3 x 10
    Leg Curl: 3 x 10
    Leg Extensions: 3 x 10
    Hyperextensions: 3 x 10

Day 3: Ab work

Day 4: Military Press: 8(warmup),6,6,8
    Shrugs: 3 x 10
    Deadlift: 3 x 3
    Pullups (I just started these so I only do 3 sets of whatever I can)
    Seated Rows: 3 x 8-10
    Side Lat Raises: 3 x 10

Day 5: Straight Bar Curl: 3 x 10
    Preacher Curl: 3 x 10
    Skullcrushers w/ Close Grip Bench: 3 x 10
    Pulldowns: 3 x 10
    Concentration Curls: 3 x 10
    Reverse Tricep Extensions w/ Cable: 3 x 10

Cut the chest and arm workouts to about half their current volume. Get rid of leg curls and extensions and put in squats. Drop the pushups. You do not need a day devoted solely to ab work. Put it in at the end of a couple of your workouts. Crunches and leg lifts work well.

deftones81
    Thanks everyone for all the input. Jazer, I think you may have misunderstood me though. I find time to lift now. I was describing how long I've been lifting to Stagg and how I was trying to get used to my classes, as well as working. I know that not finding time isn't an excuse for not going to the gym. As far as the food thing goes, it's not a matter of cooking, it's a matter of money. I don't have the money to go out and buy a ton of food. I'd probalby go through a ton of groceries really fast and end up broke, and I don't feel like getting ripped off by my school by buying an expensive meal plan. I understand that you meant well by the comments, but I just wanted to clear that up with you.

well anyways just remember to skip the ramen noodles haha. i'm assuming you live on campus if you're offered a meal plan. i'd recommend considering it depending on price, because you can just go in there and eat like an animal, and bring back tons of stuff to your dorm. i miss the dining halls. if you're buying stuff though, do you have access to a stove? we had one every couple of floors in my building, lots of schools have public 'kitchens' w/ an oven and stove. if you do i'm sure you already know rice and pasta are very inexpensive and will help you meet caloric requirements.good luck

You pretty much have to treat yourself as a beginner from a routine standpoint, even though you know what you are doing.

If your time is limited, I would go with a much simpler routine.

If you have time for it, this is what I would do for now:

Day 1 Chest/shoulders/triceps
    Bench press or dips
    fly or crossover
    OH press
    close grips
    extension or pressdown

Day 2 Legs
    Squat
    Lunge
    SLDL
    Hamstring curl
    Calves
    abs

Day 3 off

Day 4 Back/biceps
    Row
    Chin
    Row
    Shrug
    Rear delts
    curls

Day 5 off

Day 6 repeat.

Or something like that, anyway.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.