Thread: Im quite the thin man

Wannabebig Member

Im quite the thin man

and the all muscle i have seems to be defined.. do i still need to do cardio?

Depends on your goals.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Do you need it? Not necessarily. Is it a good thing to incorporate into any routine? I think so.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar

Definately depends on your goals. Some people (me) don't do any cardio at all, cause I'm bulking and I don't care about running the mile. However, if I were cutting, I'd lower my caloric intake and do some to burn off the fat.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

I was told today to stop doing cardio because it is going to make me lose muscle. They had all my fitnness acessment stats so they knew what they were talking about. This was great news to be because I hate cardio lol.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

For The Originals...
    but you don't wanna be a person who only works out and struggles to run a mile ...right?

I will add the cardio when I lose a lot of my BF.
    My Journal

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Cardio is very beneficial to your cardiovascular system, namely your heart. If you have all this muscle with a poor cardio system, your heart will be greatly stressed and your resting heart rate will be too high. Running ( not the only cardio exercise, mind you ) is a very good way to make your heart bigger and stronger and able to pump lots more blood per pump than the other guy who is huge and strong but when he does something that exerts him a little more than his average workout starts to breathe hard and fail. I think it's very important and yes, it will cause a little more loss of muscle, but that's why you go to the weightroom/gym 3 times a week. I haven't had any noticeable strength reductions whatsoever since starting cardio. I hate running, it sucks ass. But if that means I'll be alot more healthy and the blood can flow easily to my working muscles, by God that's what I'm gonna do. Besides, definition is only a little iceing on the cardio cake.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    I was told today to stop doing cardio because it is going to make me lose muscle. They had all my fitnness acessment stats so they knew what they were talking about. This was great news to be because I hate cardio lol.
    I really hope these aren't paid "professionals" handing out such poor advice. Bottom line is: cardio is good, no matter what (cutting, bulking, etc). If you're eating enough, you will continue to gain weight (muscle) even with cardio...

Just take a look at aka23's journal, he is the cardio god, but has managed to gain upwards of 30lbs (I think) while doing lots of cardio and keeping his bf% roughly the same as when he started his bulk. He eats enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallman
    and the all muscle i have seems to be defined.. do i still need to do cardio?
    If you're going for an IFBB title, since you're a hardgainer, I'd say cardio is wouldn't be a good thing. If you just want a better looking body, and better overall health, than I'd say go ahead and add in some cardio 3 or 4 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    I really hope these aren't paid "professionals" handing out such poor advice. Bottom line is: cardio is good, no matter what (cutting, bulking, etc). If you're eating enough, you will continue to gain weight (muscle) even with cardio...

Just take a look at aka23's journal, he is the cardio god, but has managed to gain upwards of 30lbs (I think) while doing lots of cardio and keeping his bf% roughly the same as when he started his bulk. He eats enough.

Yes they are, and you do not know a single stat on me that would prompt them to give me that advice. You being being general and their advice was specific to me alone.

Comparing my situation and aka23's is ridiculous.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 07-21-2004 at 08:36 PM.
    My Journal

Yes they are, and you do not know a single stat on me that would prompt them to give me that advice. You being being general and their advice was specific to me alone.

You are part of the human race, therefore, assuming you don't have some genetic disorder that I'm aware of, things like cardio will have mostly the same effect on you as other healthy humans. Most of the the ppl on this site are successful and quite accurate in their basic assessments of the human body when ppl ask for advice. If you're a healthy athlete, you will react at least fairly close to how another healthy athlete will react to good cardio. That's why it's not ridiculous to compare you with aka23 in that situation. If you don't want general advice or YOU don't post everything that you think we need to know about you in order to come to non-general conclusions when you decide to post a thread, then don't post. No offense.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    You are part of the human race, therefore, assuming you don't have some genetic disorder that I'm aware of, things like cardio will have mostly the same effect on you as other healthy humans. Most of the the ppl on this site are successful and quite accurate in their basic assessments of the human body when ppl ask for advice. If you're a healthy athlete, you will react at least fairly close to how another healthy athlete will react to good cardio. That's why it's not ridiculous to compare you with aka23 in that situation. If you don't want general advice or YOU don't post everything that you think we need to know about you in order to come to non-general conclusions when you decide to post a thread, then don't post. No offense.

Actually i didn't ask for advice in this situation and I wouldn't concider myself a healthy athlete. I have some things that need addressing that is why I had a fitness assessment and am getting a trainer.
    No offense taken.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 07-21-2004 at 08:54 PM.
    My Journal

Actually i didn't ask for advice in this situation and I wouldn't concider myself a healthy athlete. I have some things that need addressing that is why I had a fitness assessment and am getting a trainer.
    No offense taken.
    Oh ok. But when you post, please give the info. about yourself that you think we need to hear to help you. There are lots of helpfull ppl here. So then we know what to take into account. It's good we can talk about this stuff and not get pissy with each other.

My Exploits

Well in my original post in this thread I was basicly just stating that right now shouldn't do cardio and was happy about that. I usually don't get pissy unless someone is being an ass which is not the case here. I am a mod in a forum so i know how to play nice lol.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 07-21-2004 at 09:04 PM.
    My Journal

Many PT's and nutritionists do not know what they're talking about, plain and simple. You should hear some of the BS I've heard them telling people at the gym....