The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Midlands, England

New,....confused and asking for help!

Hi all! ive been lurking these and other boards for a while now and now just making my first post and i need help!

Ive decided to have a go at increasing my muscle size as my body is a joke to be honest. Im not exactly out of proportion ...i just havent got any muscles....basically i measured my bicep relaxed and it was 11.5inches which i know is laughable.

Im 33 next month and have always been a late developer..the upside to this is that i look young! My height is 5ft 10in and im 11st 6 which is 154lb. [Edit: I mean 160lb's! what a dumbass!..sorry!]

The reason why ive decided to get down to the gym (starting this monday) is that over the last couple of months ive looked at myself and can swear blind that my body is slowly putting muscle on without me trying! (yeah..its only taken 33 years lol!) I figured that if i hit the gym now i might have some sort of advantage with my body seemingly wanting to put on muscle.

My problem is 1 thing...i confused by all the different ideas and routines. Ive got my diet sorted out though(take that as a given!). Ive seen different ideas and routines and im now totally confused. I had a look at one at a site called AST which basically trained a different body part every day...i liked the look of this one ... i then see these full body workouts on monday, wednesday and friday and im just lost. Theres also other routines your no doubt aware off HST etc etc AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!

So basically im just asking for a little help of people who have been able to get results from weight training as to which routine i should start as im eager to get cracking!

Many thanks in advance

Doosht
    Last edited by Doosht; 07-22-2004 at 04:37 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah there are a lot of routines out there, and to someone new to training is very confusing..

I'd recommend you go to www.wannabebig.com and have a look at WBB1... these are good solid routines and is where i started off..

I personally grow a lot quicker and better while training 3 times a week.. with plenty of rest if you'd like to try training more than 3 times a week but just a thought..

Enjoy and hope to see more of you on the forum

oh yeh and ive just finished my workout it was goooooooooooood lol

Midlands, England
    Many thanks for that Kirman! Has anyone else got any opinions for this nooooooobie??

Doosht

As a real general 10,000 foot overview...

Do intense, short and infrequent workouts (3 days a week, 45min to 1.5 hours is a good way to go)....

Base your routine around the big compound movements like SQUATS, DEADLIFTS (notice the caps), benches, dips, militaries, rows, pullups/chins. These stimulate alot of muscles groups...more muscles stimulated, more growth stimulated

Make sure you eat enough food...I'm not saying go crazy and order whopper combos all over the place but you have create some sort of calorie surplus in order to gain weight.

Make sure you get rest. In the gym you stimulate growth by breaking down muscle tissue but you don't start growing until you're out of the gym.

Again...this is a 10,000 foot overview...definitely check out some of the routines and diets on this board to get some specific info...

Good luck!

Agree with all thats been said so far. I strongly reccomend WBB1 as a beginning routine. i did it for about 3 or 4 months as i recall and then moved on to pastures more complicated. I should probably have stuck to it for a year lol. it has all the compontents a newbie lifter would want:

Compounds
    heavy weight.
    Structure
    Rest
    3 day split.

Make sure your diet is in order. Most people fail to achieve their results becasue they dont track intake. Go to fitday.com and open a free account. Track your food (it takes a week of hell entering foods in and then months of joy being able to track your cals and macros in 10 clicks per meal). if you dont grow then you can manipulate known figures to help the process.

Eat protein. 1g/lb of bodyweight is a good place to start.
    Keep fats under control (say 60-100g per day) and only 1/3 from saturated sources.
    Eat low GI carbs and lots of fiber. get your multivits and fish oil caps.

Lastly, welcome

Augs