Thread: why chains

why chains

ive heard of benching and squattin with chains but i dont get why? whyu not just uyse weight??
    trhanks
    the one
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Wannabebig Member
    I think it's only useful if your "sticking point" is near the top of the movement. Since the chains will obviously weigh the most when they're entirely off the ground, you would need some extra power to push it up at the end of the lift.

differential resistance. A the bottom part of the motion more of the chain is supported by the ground, as you motion up the floor supports less and you are pushing more of it (weight). It's to give you more resistance where you are strongest.

DM

Chains worked great for me, i used them for squats, i can't give you exact numbers of progress but i know it was VERY good.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Banned
    Check out http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls01.htm
    Its a westside article on the use of chains when lifting. Never used them myself, but I'm very tempted, maybe when i get some big chains...

I love working with chains during squats and more recently, benching.
    At the lowest part of the movement the majority of the chains are on the floor- less resistance- meaning you can explode out of the 'hole' harder and faster, and the resistance as you go up gets more difficult.
    Ive seen great improvements on my squats using chains.

Most people will agree that the very bottom of a bench press is hard. A lot of people might even feel they could bench more if it wasn't for this part of the lift. Adding chains makes it so once you lift past that part it gets harder (so you can lower the weight for that part of the lift and get through it with eas while still keeping the rest of the lift hard).

Waiting on a Star to Fall Hickory's Avatar
    there's also an article about benching with chains in the May 04 issue of M&F magazine (Triple H on the cover) on page 66 titled 'Heavy Metal'.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    Most people will agree that the very bottom of a bench press is hard. A lot of people might even feel they could bench more if it wasn't for this part of the lift. Adding chains makes it so once you lift past that part it gets harder (so you can lower the weight for that part of the lift and get through it with eas while still keeping the rest of the lift hard).
    In this case how is it different from dropping a couple inches of ROM off the bottom part of the lift? Both make this part of the lift easier.

Chains are used usually by powerlifters wanting to make there lockouts more forceful. You can use them on almost any exercise though. They can be used in bodybuilding if you just want a change of pace.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    In this case how is it different from dropping a couple inches of ROM off the bottom part of the lift? Both make this part of the lift easier.
    It's different because you still do the hard part but you do it with less weight so you can improve. I guess it's up to the person doing it to decide. I don't even use chains though... I go to a commercial gym and I think if I walked in with chains they'd probably call the police and if I did manage to get past the front door everyone would think I was on drugs or crazy or something.

MilliVanilli
    Chains have got to be one of the best ways to work out.

wow great thanks guys now i know
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one