Thread: squat or deadlift?

squat or deadlift?

Ok so deadlifting seems to be making my back ache quite a lot. When i say ache i mean, making my back all tenced up and uncomfortable.. Its `worrying cause ive just managed to get over my recent back injury,,,

However squats dont seem to bother my back at all... I'm thinking about stopping the deadlifts... What do you think,,, will it stop my back from developing? I mean i do rows, chins, pulldowns etc... and i do squats on my leg day....

any advice please
    Last edited by Kirman; 07-23-2004 at 05:37 AM.

Deadlifts aren't necessary, but they are very useful. Maybe have someone check your form?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig!
    You should have your back checked-up by a doctor or someone... It can seriously fuk up your back. I dont do DL anymore, due to back pain...I do squats and other lower back exercise other than DL. Although DL may be more effective, my back is growing nicely!

Are sumo deadlifts better for the lower back, since you don't go down as far?

Deadlifts are great and should be entirely safe if done properly. With an injury, form is that much more important and getting a professional to help would be wise.

For me, squats seem to work my back pretty well too so since you don't feel discomfort with squats I would say your form may be a factor to your back discomfort with deadlifts.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Thanks for the replies

I have had my form checked out (i had a friend watch me deadlift last wednesday) he said my form is good. However my back still doesnt like the movement... (I even checked my form out by using mirrors ... my back is super straight all the time...

I've decided to ditch them for a while and let my back have some time off and i will just focus on other exersises...

Chinups
    Barbell Rows
    lat pulldown
    Pulley Rows

is what my new routine for back will look like.... does that seem ok what would you add or remove from it ?

ps ... i injured my back 3 months ago and have seen a chiro and ive recovered now but deadlifting is the only thing that seems to make it sore and stiffen up...

Under Construction
    Are you deadlifting every week? If so, you may want to do them every other week.
    Just one guy's opinion.

yeh i was squatting and deadlifting once every week.

Maybe too much work in a week. Also, what kind of pain is it? If it's just your lower back getting muscle tightness, try stretching/massage/hot bath. If it's a bad pain, talk to your chiro or a sports doctor.

On www.exrx.com, it says that deadlifting works primarily the hamstrings. I thought it was supposed to work the back?
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

stiff legged deadliftt gets your hams... but i do the other style.. (mainly working the back)

- Anthony... do you train with a deadlift and a squat both heavy in the same week?

My back feels very stiff and tight in the lower region when i do deadlifts... (That is where my injury occured...)

i feel deads the most in my hams and lowerr back. And actually i feel sldl better overall i dont know guys
    Last edited by BigNic; 07-23-2004 at 11:11 AM.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

I do a lot of lower back work in general. Some weeks it can get very tight, other weeks it's okay. I find when I keep up with my stretching it stays loose.

Having said that, if you had an injury, it's quite possible the muscles in that region are weak. I'd talk to your chiro.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirman
    I'm thinking about stopping the deadlifts... What do you think,,, will it stop my back from developing?
    Eliminating one exercise from your routine will not stop your body from growing. There isn't ANY exercise that MUST be performed to make a certain bodypart grow.

i'm gonna ditch that exersise for a few weeks to see how things go regards aches and pains...

If i dont get any stiffness / aches i know that the deadlift was causing me the pain... and after a few more weeks i'll gradually ease myself back into it... But the slightest twinge i will stop...

I have been warming up well for deadlifts doing some stretches and then rowing on the rowing machine for 5 mins. Not to mention warming up with some sets lighter than my working sets on the deadlift...

I have very similar issues Kirman. I blew my lower back about 3-4 months ago on poor form deadlifts (whihc i entirely take the blame for - who else am i gona blame lol)...i gave it a lot of rest, had my back treated and then left them out my routine for a couple months.

ive just re-introduced lower back work in the form of sumos. ive had the odd "tightness" feeling but so far so good. im being super careful. I do squat but i see sumos as half a squat, half a dead lift. Prolly cos my form is crap on them to.

Augs

Well at the minute deadlifts are just causing me hassle and getting in my way... Its a shame cause i liked doing them cause i used to really slam the weight on the bar used to shift 240 pounds and that was my 2nd strongest lift after squats and leg press...

But now i am deadlifting 160 and its making my back tight and aching... Like i said im just gonna give it a miss for a while and then come back into it when i feel im ready...

Oh and i messed my back up on bench press... i arched my back never arching again...

hammin'
    I was out of the gym for several weeks, and when I went back and got back into the deads, I experienced that tightness and discomfort you guys are talking about. Oddly, my right side seemed to be a lot tighter than the left... But I didn't think it was anything to worry about, and now they don't cause me problems. Besides, it's my favorite lift

I would say try stretching your lower back out real good every day, and start light with them...
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.