Thread: can you point me towards a routine for a skinny n00b?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

can you point me towards a routine for a skinny n00b?

Im going to start lifting for the 1st time in my life religiously on August 1st. I am skinny. 141lbs at 5'11". I have already planned a diet. I was thinking about using WBB routine #1 but I dont know if that's what I need. My goal is to look like antek who is also a member on here.

Thanks guys.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    If you have never lifted seriously before, then WBB1 is a good place to start. Try it for about six months and see what happens. Stick to it religiously at first and then later you can change it up to suit personal goals.

Wannabebig Member
    just wondering what is your age and what is your diet plan. Generally WBB 1 is a great way to get started
    Teenidol1

"You can say whatever you want. But you would still be wrong, of course." -Henry Rollins

Hell is other people- Jean-Paul Sartre

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teenidol1
    just wondering what is your age and what is your diet plan. Generally WBB 1 is a great way to get started
    21, 141lbs, 5'10".

Meal 1
    2 Servings Egg Beaters - 60 calories, 2g carbs, 12g protein
    1 Serving Fat Free Cheese - 30 calories, 2g carbs, 5g protein
    1 Onion Bagel - 210 calories, 38 carbs, 7g protein
    1 Banana - 138 calories, 35g carbs, 2g protein
    1 Cup Skim Milk - 90 calories, 13g carbs, 9g protein
    Total = 438 calories, 105 carbs, 26g protein

Meal 2
    1 Serving Protein Shake - 385 calories, 37g carbs, 34g protein
    Total = 523 calories, 72g carbs, 36g protein

Meal 3
    1 Serving Wheat Sub Rolls - 220 calories, 43g carbs, 8g protein
    1 Serving Lean Chicken Strips - 130 calories, 1 carb, 29g protein
    Total = 380 calories, 46g carbs, 42g protein

Snack

Meal 4
    1 Serving Protein Shake - 385 calories, 37g carbs, 34g protein
    2 Serving Whole Wheat Bread - 160 calories, 28g carbs, 6 protein
    1 Serving Peanut Butter - 210 calories, 7g carbs, 8g protein
    Total = 755 calories, 72g carbs, 48g protein

Snack

Meal 5
    2 Serving Whole Wheat Bread - 160 calories, 28g carbs, 6 protein
    1 Cup Skim Milk - 90 calories, 13g carbs, 9g protein
    Total = 328 calories, 65g carbs, 22g protein

Meal 6
    1 Serving Lean Chicken Strips - 130 calories, 1 carb, 29g protein
    1 Serving Mixed Vegetables - 70 calories, 0 carbs, 3g protein
    Total = 200 calories, 1 carb, 32g protein

Snack

Totals for the day = 3038 calories, 466 carbs, 212g protein

As above, WBB1 would be a decent place to start. The other thing you need to do is sort out your diet; you may find you need to eat quite a lot more than normal to put any real weight on. This can be harder than it sounds, given that you need to do it consistently.

I'd suggest the first thing to do is start writing down everything you eat, including portion sizes for a few weeks. Then use that to work out how many calories you eat on average per day (refer to websites like http://www.fitday.com or http://www.nutritiondata.com for help with this). This will give you a baseline; you'll know how many calories you need to eat to stay the same weight. You can then steadily add calories until you start to grow. Add a couple of hundred per day and stay at that level for a week or two; did you add any weight? If not, add a couple of hundred more; are you growing yet? Use this method to gradually up your intake, so you get used to eating more, and stick with it. Whenever you stop putting on weight, add a couple of hundred calories.

Aim for a steady weight gain; train hard on a decent program (WBB1 is fine); get plenty of rest; and give it a bit of time. If things stop going right, come back to these basic points and figure out which one is going wrong; it's almost guaranteed that either you're not eating enough, not resting enough, or not training hard enough.

Above all, have fun!

[Edit: I've just read your posts in the thread you started in the Members Pictures forum - it sounds like you're already well aware of the role your diet will have to play. So I'll just add a "good luck", and will look forward to seeing your progress ]
    Last edited by Aspect; 07-24-2004 at 09:49 AM.

One comment on your diet (a similar point was made in the other thread too I believe) - there's not much fat in there, particularly EFA's. Do you have any plans to supplement with some kind of fat (fish oil, flaxseed oil etc.)? If you hadn't already thought about it, that may be worthwhile from a health point of view. I don't know whether you're intentionally keeping fat very low, but particularly when you're trying to gain weight I'd say it's not really necessary.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree and I intend to substitute the low fat foods such as the cheese for regular cheese and skim milk for regular milk. I also use olive oil for cooking my chicken. In addition to that, I snack on peanuts and stuff all day long.

Banned
    And now for my 2 cents worth. If you don't know how to lift weights in way that will promote muscle growth then find someone to show you how to do it..
    Most newbies think that if they lift the weight 8 times like it says in the books they will grow muscle. It don't work that way, if it did everybody would be big and there would not be a reason for this website. You've put in a lot of time on the diet, now go find a guru to teach you how to turn it into muscle and not flab..See Ya