Thread: Rotator Cuff/Shoulder Injury

Rotator Cuff/Shoulder Injury

I injured my shoulder today in the gym. I suspect some sort of rotator cuff injury but I'm not sure of how bad the damage is. If anyone has had similar experiences, I would appreciate some input on the therapy you went through and how long it was until you were able to return to normal training. Thanks.

-prune
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

What were you doing? I've had to stop training for the last 3 weeks or so to get my shoulders to heal.

I still have hope they will.......

I hurt my shoulder (RC) a little and have been taking a break from upper body workouts. I'm on my last week of rest (4 weeks total) and my shoulder seems to be fine now. At the start of next week I will slowly start my upper body work. I hope to be back up to my regular routine by the start of Sept.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    What were you doing? I've had to stop training for the last 3 weeks or so to get my shoulders to heal.

I still have hope they will.......
    I was doing clean and presses and seated DB presses. I don't think I am giong to take any chances with it until I see a doctor.
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

See a doctor. I didn't. I regret it.
    That said, I hurt my RC last november doing seated overhead DB presses when I lost control of an 85lb DB. I couldn't raise my left arm for about a week. I took six weeks off of upper body training. I still cannot do squats because I cannot get my left hand back far enough to grip the bar without pain or dipping the left shoulder. Take some form of NSAIDS (i chose alleve 220mg twice a day). Let me say that again. Take an NSAID. I did not for the first two months, thinking that such weak drugs wouldn't help at all. I was amazed at how much they did help, and I regret not taking them from the beginning. I was told to ice it too, but that didn't seem to help me, but many people say it does, So go ahead and apply ice, for at least 20 minutes, at least twice a day (more often if you can stand it), and see if it helps you.
    I'm currently back to doing almost everything except the squats (I do leg presses and hack squats on a T-bar setup), though I try it every few weeks with just a bar. I'm afraid the damage is permanent. I also adjusted my ROM with overhead presses and bench press. I don't let my upper arm get below parallel to the floor when performing the movements.
    A quick test for a type of rotator cuff injury is this:
    While standing, with your arms hanging at your sides. On the injured side, bend the elbow and reach behind your back (as if you were going for a gun in the back of your pants) and place the back of your hand against the small of your back. Now pull the hand directly outward away from your spine, keeping your elbow where it is (rotating the lower arm around the elbow). If you cannot do this, I'm told it requires surgery.
    Again, if the injury impairs your movement, see a doctor.
    Last edited by manowar669; 07-25-2004 at 12:20 PM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy