The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Lockouts on Deads

Ok, I have found that my limiting factor on deadlifts is the lockout portion, or just above the knees and up I guess.

Just wondering what others have done to bring this up.

I'm assuming that this is back strength that is faltering yes?

If so, I am guessing that things like good mornings, and rack pulls would aid in strengthening this phase.

Wondering of those who've done lockouts, do you vary where your starting position is? Also, any other tips or tricks to working this phase?

I may also start trying to Sumo more, and see how that goes. I've been saying this for about a year now, but think it is finally worth a shot. I see Alex as having a similar body structure as far as height and close to the same weight, and he deadlifts MUCH more sumo than conventional, so maybe if it works for him it could work for me.

It seems I am at the point where easy gains are gone on the big three, so I must now get quite technical with them, either in form tweaks or different and more specific training, so I'm open to any and all thoughts.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Really heavy shrugs and rack pulls.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

D!cksmack, try not to be so detailed!

Ok, so do you vary where you are pulling from? Just wondering if you also warmup with full deads first, probably not a big deal either way.

Are you finding reverse band stuff helping at all? Or is it just a "holy **** look how much I can pull," exercise.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    D!cksmack, try not to be so detailed!

Ok, so do you vary where you are pulling from? Just wondering if you also warmup with full deads first, probably not a big deal either way.
    I'm Westsiding, so consider them an assistance exercise.

Are you finding reverse band stuff helping at all? Or is it just a "holy **** look how much I can pull," exercise.
    Yup, very helpful. But it's also a holy **** look how much I can pull exercise

In all honesty though, I find the shrugs and rack pulls to be more effective overall just because of the God-awful crazy weights you can load up on the bar. That seems to be the most bang for the buck. Reverse band pulls certainly won't hurt though, especially as an ME lift.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wondering of those who've done lockouts, do you vary where your starting position is?

Hi, I was just curious, do you vary your lockout ROM? Or warmup with full deadlifts first?

Current FFFA Enforcer

I would personally do rack pulls based on where you get weak. Maybe decrease the ROM each week, then repeat (sorta like board presses). And I don't think it matters how you warm up, as long as it's a pulling exercise ... I'd probably go with using rack pulls, just because I'd be too lazy to move the bar from the rack, etc.

As for reverse band deadlifts ... they kick ass. The bar just flies off the floor.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I'd warm up however you see fit. If doing full ROM deads are it, then do it. Like Anthony, said, I'd be pulling form where you are weakest. What I'm going to concentrate on for the next couple of weeks will be doing reverse band rack deads, for 2 weeks, followed by rack deads for 2 weeks then moving to doing increased ROM rack deads for another 2 weeks and then moving to full ROM deads after that.

If you want to do full ROM deads, then maybe some speed pulls on your DE day might be the way to go.

At least that's what I was thinking. Do most of you decrease or increase the ROM over a course of cycle leading up to a max attempt or to increase your 1RM? I've always considered increasing it gradually over the course of a macrocycle.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I've seen people do it both ways (decrease/increase ROM) and I'm sure there are reasons for both. My guess is that decreasing the ROM allows you to overload your muscles and get used to heavier weight, while increasing the ROM prepares you for the full ROM. But I'm not exactly sure.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I have a weak spot right at lockout(last 6" of lift)
    What i just found to be my weakpoint is at knee level. I must just let the speed carry the barbell up to the last 6".
    Just mess around someday with rack pulls until you find a height your weak at.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Vary your stance and lockout range. I will generally do ME work with squats or Good AMs and follow up with rep work on lockouts.

Banned
    I'm wondering if you might also want to do some speed work to improve your speed off the floor and get a bit more momentum going to knee height?

from what I've seen, you dead fairly slowly...

Cal, when you actually put heavy weight on the bar it's hard to be fast.

Actually, I don't think speed is an issue. I have done speed deads before, mostly with 3 plates. And will continue to do so on a semi regular basis, but I don't think this will translate in any way to lockout strength. Momentum is pretty much gone by the time you are or just above the knees with any near max lift.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Vary stance and ROM of the lockout.

If you're having trouble locking out you can do Good AMs with a big arch in your back for your ME lift and follow that up with 8 sets of 3 lockouts with a narrower stance, or even conventional. Or you could go extra sumo and pull just the bare inches before lockout.

Followed up with pull-throughs and you should be past this wicked sticking point.