The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Toronto Open Powerlifting Competition

Ok, I forgot about this forum, and I competed last weekend, and posted it in my journal. Those that read it and were thinking of competing found it informative and helpful so I think I'll copy/paste it hear for others.

As you'll see by my total this is not me posting to gloat. In fact, I should probably block off my actual lifts but I'll leave em in for you guys to get a good chuckle at my expense.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here she be...

Well, saturday I just tried to pull up to 225 and the hand felt ok, so I figured I'd just go compete and during deadlift warmup, figure out if it was a hinderance.

I'll post an exhaustive recount of yesterday's events for my future, so I can re-read whatever mistakes or experiences I learned.

Anyway, woke up at 6am, showered, then realized it was too early so had a 30 minute nap. Got to the hotel by 10 to 8am. Stood around for about an hour doing nothing, registered my clothing and equipment. Then stood around for another hour. They announced that weigh-ins for the heavyweights weren't going to be until 11am. This pissed a lot of guys off that were probably dehydrated and starving, and couldn't eat until they got weighed in. Luckily, I didn't care, so I went directly to the breakfast buffet in the lobby. I was last to weigh in, probably at 11:45 and came in at 112.7 kg. I probably could have dieted these pounds off, but the past week I had been stuffing my face just trying to get calories, and not worry about weight, just trying to not be too weak or calorically challenged for the comp.

There were about 35 lifters, so two flights. They did all the light weight classes first, and the 90kg and up would be after those guys. I watched some of the lifting, and just generally milled about. I had to borrow a singlet, so Harnek asked Sean Brown to bring one in for me. What he brought was a squat suit, although it was loose. Took 30 seconds to get on by myself, so nothing special.

Thought I was in flight B, as someone said the 90, 100, and 110kg groups were in flight A, and the 125 and 125+ were in B. That's when the announcer said flight A was 90, 100 and 125s. This caused a mild panic, as the flight was getting close to starting, and I hadn't warmed up. So me and the two other guys in my weight class made a dash for the warmup room, and did some quick stuff. As I'm hearing over the speaker that I'll be third to lift in the flight. Causing more undue stress. Squatting actually felt strong in warmups, so I felt good about killing my opener raw, as I killed 25 lbs lighter than it in warmup.

Teh Squat:

Ok, this is what sucked, we rushed to warmup, came out to the sitting area, and they were just working on putting up the board. We probably sat for a good 20 minutes waiting to lift. Maybe more. Finally things started, first two guys went, I think they both failed, judges were being tight on depth. So I finally here my name and the "bars loaded" call. I was opening with 172.5 (380.2 lbs) I walk out, get under the bar, and smoke the lift, I wasn't sure if was deep enough though, and sure enough, the two reds and one white meant it wasn't. Apparently I missed by about an inch. Did this raw.

I was pretty discouraged. I didn't want to bomb out, so this meant I would have to do that weight again, even though I knew it was light. Just didn't want to put the competition in jeopardy. Went out and smoked it the second time, making sure to go quite low. First may have failed because we had waited so long.

Now I was sort of eight-balled by the first miss, as I had to redo it, which meant I couldn't push too much. I didn't want to go to high, and only have my opener, so I chose somewhere in between. Finally squat was 190 (418.7 lbs). Went out again, got under the bar, got down REALLY deep, and actually paused at the bottom for a second and then came up. 3 whites.

It's funny, how I see the crowd when I go up, but I actually don't even notice the crowd, it's like they aren't even there. The only person I actually am aware of his the head ref infront of me. This happened to be Bill Jamison, the father of Canadian powerlifting.

Well, now I have an official squat, and the part that had me most worried was over.

Teh Bench:

Bench was a bit screwy, my plan was to open raw and light, and then move on to my shirt in between lifts. I wasn't sure if I should warmup in my shirt or what, but then taking it off and putting it on again seemed stupid, so I decided not to. We went out to the lifting area, and all the fookin judges were eating pizza. They said 2 minutes to start, and it bloody well took 30 minutes. Lifters were getting plenty pissed. Most went back for more warmup, I didn't bother.

My first lift was to be quite simple, 130 (286.5 lbs). When it was my turn, I got under the bar, brought it down, and rested it on my chest for a very long time, mebbe 3 seconds, then blasted it up, it was almost like a speed press, and then racked it. Reds. I realized as I was laying on the bench that I forgot to wait for the head ref to say "rack" before I racked the weight. I was mucho pissed. I created the same scenario as in squats, where I wanted a total, so didn't really want to go too heavy until I had a lift in the books.

I upped it to 132.5 (292 lbs), and smoked that fast as well, waited for the rack signal, and got my 3 whites.

I heard there were guys in the warmup room helping ppl on with their shirts, so I ran back through the crowd to the warmup room and found them, helping another guy on. After that, they got mine on. As usual, a struggle getting it up the arms, then a simple pull over the head and it would drop down like a t-shirt. They laughed at this, as it's generally the chest that it's hard to get around.

Walked back to the lifter area, and waited my turn. My third would be 155 (341.5 lbs). Nothing special, but again, I hadn't used the shirt, didn't know how it would react, and didn't want to shoot too far and end up with only my opener. When it was my turn, I got under the bar, waited for the "start" signal, then slowly brought/pulled the bar down. I was almost starting to panic, as I felt I couldn't get it to touch. I kept it as low as I could, paused for a long time, then blasted it up so fast I surprised myself. I wasn't sure if I got it to touch though, so I was ecstatic to see three whites come up. Many lifters were laughing, with comments like, "that was a good opener." I guess next time I'll know I can go much higher. Later Harnek said I probably could have gotten 180 in it. Even reservedly I am sure I could have had 170. Oh well, I was here for the experience and a total, ANY total, and now the two technical lifts were over, any monkey can deadlift.

deds

While the 2nd flight was lifting, some guys started warming up, I deemed it too early, so I put some shorts on over the suit, and went out to my car to chain smoke a couple cigarettes and listen to rap.

When I got back it was getting close to the time to start, so I warmed up QUICK. Did a few at 225, a couple at 315, and two more at 405. All in all, it took me about 4 minutes to warmup.

As I came out to the lifters area, I glanced at the board, and noticed I had the 2nd highest opening deadlift weight on the board. For once I felt like almost not a pussy. I opened with 230 (507 lbs). Got up there, looked at the crowd, and as usual, when I gripped the bar, I was like it was just me and the head judge. There is no start command on deadlifts, but usually the ref will raise his hand before. For me he raised it after, which confused me at first, because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to start or not. Anyway, I smoked the first lift no prob, 3 whites.

Second attempt I put down 247.5 (545.5 lbs). Chalked up and went out. This sonofabitch fought me to the bitter end. Easy to the knees, but I took a long ass time locking it out. But in the end got 3 whites, and some compliments on my battle from other lifters. I was in a dilemma as to what I should make my third attempt. This isn't as easy as it seems, as you only have 60 seconds to hand in your attempt card or you get a miss. I put down 255 (562 lbs) knowing that I had left everything on the table with 247.5. So not much in expectation.

My third attempt came, I heard "bar loaded" but not my name, so there was about 30 seconds of dead air and people wondering who's turn it was, including me, until they mentioned my name finally. I ran, chalked and got to the bar. Basically, just wondering if I was going to hurt my back or not. I got the mofo just past my knees I believe, and then bailed. Didn't think I'd get it up, and was probably surprised I got it as far as I did.

I was happy, the lifting was done.

I actually felt pretty fresh, which surprised me. Other than breakfast, all I had was a couple protein shakes, and a bunch of water all day. As I started to cool down I started to get much worse though. By the evening it felt like a few guys had beaten me with baseball bats. Today I feel alot better though.

So in the end, my total was 592.5 kg (~1306 lbs). I thought that after screwing myself a bit on bench and squat I wouldn't break 1300 but I did. This is still feeble, but given the adversity of my training I was content. I got the experience I wanted, a total, and had a lot of fun. Everyone was really positive, and helpful of each other. There was even a hot chick powerlifter, and one manchick powerlifter only a kilo lighter than me.

So, now I guess I can officially call myself a powerlifter huh? Albeit, a weak one.

From what I have learned, I think a modest goal, would be to add close to 200 lbs to my total, in one weight class lower. 400 shirted bench will not be far off, maybe a few months, and if I can get my fat ass into my squat suit, then I'll be off and running on that. Deadlift...well, meh. We'll see.

I doubt anyone has read all this, it was for me not you, but if you did you've exceeded my expectations.

I'll summarize in bold so you can just skip all my rambles.

Total:
    Squat 1: 172.5 (380.2) [raw] Failed: depth
    Squat 2: 172.5 (380.2) [raw] Lift is good
    Squat 3: 190 [belt, wraps] (418.7) Lift is good

Bench 1: 130 (286.5) [raw] Failed: didn't wait for rack command
    Bench 2: 132.5 (292) [raw] Lift is good
    Bench 3: 155 (341.5) [shirt] Lift is good

Deadlift 1: 230 (507) [Belt] Lift is good
    Deadlift 2: 247.5 (545.5) [Belt] Lift is good
    Deadlift 3: 255 (562) [Belt] Failed: No lockout

Total: 592.5 kg (~1306 lbs)
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

That's awesome! Great work!
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

3:16
    well done
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

That was a great read Pete. Thanks for sharing. I gotta tell ya I felt abit nervous just reading it, I couldn't imagine how it was really like. While I was reading I was picturing myself there.

Good work

Maddog
    ...it's more friendly for trainers to say, "yeah, we can help you tone up!" rather than saying, "yeah, we can help you get rid of that fat ass!"

Anthony

Lol, the worst is waiting to start, and you are watching guys 3 weight classes down opening squats with more than my planned max.

It looks like I'll have to diet hardcore before I can fit my fat ass into my squat suit.

If you've ever been that kid who's lost his parents at a carnival, that's how I felt!
    Last edited by ElPietro; 07-26-2004 at 12:17 PM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    Nice Read. Well Done on your first meet! Thanks for sharing all that with us.

That's awesome. It was being right there with you while reading it lol.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Thanks guys.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wow, very inspiring Pete. Nice work.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Congrats.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

That was a good read man lol you got good writing skills, hehe that **** kept me entertained. Oh, and an obvious well done on the lifts too.
    My Journal!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

"I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

"It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger