Thread: how exactly do you do calorie cycling?

how exactly do you do calorie cycling?

currently, my BMR is 1293 cals and maintenance level is 2005 cals. i'm on a 20% deficit everyday, taking in 1604 cals. i do cardio 5-6 times a week and burn off about 300 cals each time, and i do lifting 3 times a week on mon, tues and fri. i think my schedule looks like this -

mon - < 1304 cals
    tues - 1304 cals
    weds - < 1304 cals
    thurs - 1604 cals
    fri - < 1304 cals
    sat - 1304 cals
    sun - 1304 cals

is this considered cycling? or must there actually be days when i take in cals at maintenance level?

and how long can i keep doing this? my aim is to go down to 15% BF by end of this year and two weeks ago i measured at 30% so i'm going to have to get tough on myself now. i was wondering whether it's advisable to perform calorie cycling for long periods of time, and in this case 6 months.

when you get hungry often, does it mean your metabolism has gone up?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    to me it seems like more hassle than it's worth

if you take in say a bunch of liquid carbs before and after training and that bumps up trainign days thats fine

so when you plot it for the week it could look like you are doing a staggered intake

it wont make you lose weight faster than taking in the same amount of cals each day

is there is some other benefit you are looking for ?

as Paul Stagg has pointed out the complexity is used to imply value

I'm sure we could trace staggered intakes to a book, video or some other profitable idea

not to mention differentiation...every plan has to *seem* new and different and thus it becomes more vodoo science
    Last edited by Holto; 07-18-2004 at 07:32 PM.

This isnt cycling. You need to cycle between deficit and either maintenance or over maintenance.

With 30% BF you can probably ignore some of the hardcore advice on here. Sounds like a day or two at your maintenance calories (2000+) every week, or two weeks, will help you (a) stick to the plan, and (b) keep your metabolism up by stopping you going into "starvation mode".

Linking hunger to metabolism is correct, but I doubt you can link it to an increase in metabolism. Your metabolism, if anything, will probably be decreasing as you're losing weight fast and probably losing some muscle weight in the process. You're hungry because you're body is having to resort to burning more fat than it wants to, ignore it:-)
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    when you get hungry often, does it mean your metabolism has gone up?
    no, it indicates your leptin levels are falling and your bodys survival method is to send you an indicator that you should eat.
    Carb cycling prevents leptin levels from falling to much and is a controlled way of managing it. Another way would be to incorporate refeeds based on these hunger feelings.

While your on a cut its not likely that your metabolism or your leptin levels will rise. They usually fall as your body triages different functions to better deal with the lowered fuel levels.

You can take supplements and specific foods to boost ur metabolism, and there are supplements to boost leptin levels as well.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 07-19-2004 at 10:20 AM.

holto: yup, i read that calorie cycling can speed up the fat loss process.

thanks for the advice!! are there good websites on calorie cycling that i can go to to read up on calorie cyling and get more information on how to plan etc and whether macronutrient portions should be different on refeed days? and what supplements and foods boost metabolism?

ttt

Wannabebig Member
    I dont think you would need refeeds yet if you are 30% BF.
    But it also depends on how long you have been dieting for and how much you have lost.
    I also dont think you need to cycle calories yet.
    Too complicated and Id wait until you plateau at a much lower Bodyfat level.
    I think when you get hungry it means your metabolism is up. When you are RAVENOUS and you will know the difference trust me, it means your leptin is down.

Why dont you write down a diet sample for a day and it will be much easier to give suggestions.

Banned
    It's also important to differentiate between real hunger and the "hunger" that occurs after watching the Pizza Hut ad on TV. If you experience true hunger then you should eat something. If, however, some external cue makes you "hungry" you should suck it up and have a glass of water or something.

thanks guys. i've been dieting for almost 2 months so i might wait till i plateau. or i'll check my BF level next friday and if it's not moving fast enough i'll implement carb cycling.

mikah: hmm sample diet...

small breakfast before cardio: 2 cups of tea, some chicken breast or cottage cheese

breakfast: 1/2 cup oats + 2/3 cup milk, some chicken breast or cottage cheese

lunch: rice or noodles with chicken breast and veg or fruit

snack: wholemeal bread with natty PB and some chicken breast, fruit

dinner: rice, chicken breast or fish, leafy green veg

vido: yes sir.

How could you eat that much chicken in one day? How could you eat it for breakfast?

CHances are, you won't need refeeds until you get under 15% or so. Above that, leptin/metabolism isn't really going to crash that much.

lightningandice: it's pure protein with 0g carbs so i eat it for breakfast sometimes. i forgot to add, i eat tuna too. so it's chicken breast or tuna or cottage cheese.

scott: hmmm ok.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dissipate
    thanks guys. i've been dieting for almost 2 months so i might wait till i plateau. or i'll check my BF level next friday and if it's not moving fast enough i'll implement carb cycling.

mikah: hmm sample diet...

small breakfast before cardio: 2 cups of tea, some chicken breast or cottage cheese

breakfast: 1/2 cup oats + 2/3 cup milk, some chicken breast or cottage cheese

lunch: rice or noodles with chicken breast and veg or fruit

snack: wholemeal bread with natty PB and some chicken breast, fruit

dinner: rice, chicken breast or fish, leafy green veg

vido: yes sir.
    How much do you weigh?
    edit: ok I think Ive found it.
    Start with a 40/40/20 split. This will at least be a good baseline to help you figure out where you need to go with carbs.
    If you are 126 lbs = have10-12x your BW in cals.
    No higher than 1500, no lower than 1260.

Meal 1 - Id just do the cardio without eating if you ask me.. Im 5"3 115 lbs female.
    so meal 1 AFTER cardio
    1/2 c oats
    egg whites??? instead of chicken might be good.??
    have a little fat here, 5 grams almonds or one whole egg...

Meal 2
    how about an apple and your chicken breast here, or salad with chicken breast and a few more nuts.

Meal 3
    NO noodles, no no no.
    Rice is ok if its brown, vegis and a lean source of prtn w/ a bit of olive oil (tsp)

Meal 4 ~snack
    Cut the bread. Not good on a cut . Especially for us girls.
    Maybe once a week but have it rarely.
    try to have your fruit earlier too.
    have another meal similar to meal 3

Meal 5
    vegis and prtn and fat here.
    This is a great place for your ctg cheese.
    Its slow digesting and a good LASTmeal for ya.

How much cardio are you doing?
    How many days are you lifting?
    Last edited by mikah; 07-26-2004 at 02:30 AM.

hmmm ok. thanks for the tips. i do 40 mins cardio 5-6 days a week and lifting 3 days a week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah
    Meal 4 ~snack
    Cut the bread. Not good on a cut . Especially for us girls.
    Why is bread especially bad for girls?

Good advice though.

Wannabebig Member
    Vido - Its just my personal opinion that guys burn foods better due to there higher muscle mass. Its really not the greatest for ANYone on a cut , but it wont help if you have minimal LBM to work with.

Dissapate - Workout looks ok. Lift heavy though. I lift 4 days a week myself.
    Lifting heavy will help you retain your LBM better.
    Drink a gallon of water a day too. It makes a HUGE difference in fat burning.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah
    Vido - Its just my personal opinion that guys burn foods better due to there higher muscle mass. Its really not the greatest for ANYone on a cut , but it wont help if you have minimal LBM to work with.
    Ok, so you're talking about food in general, not just bread...makes sense. You have to remember though, it's not just about sex differences. There's plenty of girls with faster metabolisms than guys, and vice versa.

mikah: thanks for taking the time to get the details from my journal and type advice here