The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Beginner Needs Help!!!

Hello Everyone! I am 19 yrs old, 5'8", and weigh 140 lbs. I want to start working out in a local gym in a few weeks and need a large amount of advice from anyone willing to explain to long process out in detail. My goal is to gain lots of muscle and definition.

*How many calories should I eat to get bigger? How much % of it should be fat, carbs, and protien.
    *What is a good routine that would show fast results in muscle growth?
    *How do you gain muscle and definition?
    *How many sets should you perform per exercise.
    *How many reps per exercise?
    *How many exercises should you do per muscle group?
    *How much rest should there be between a set.
    *Do you need to workout 5 times a week in order to get great muscle definition?
    *How long should a workout session last?
    *Should you do cardio if you are trying to gain mass?
    *ETC....

If you can answer any of these questions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You for your time.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here goes:
    1. It's called bulking and eat alot. About anything around you, but try to have a "clean" bulk. That is to say stay away from most fatty things and get alot of protein.
    2. 3-4 sets of 70-85% of your one rep maximum for that exercise. Do about 6 reps. There are many other ways, I just picked one.
    3. Gaining muscle and definition at the same time is difficult. i.e. training with lower weights (60-65% of 1rm) for a couple sets of 10 or 12 will give you good definition. Doing 3-4 sets of 70-85% for maybe 6 reps will give you alot of strength (assuming you're eating right and healthy) So it's kind of difficult to do this all at once. It will not happen over night or even in the next couple months. My advice, bearing in mind you want big, defined muscles, is to bulk up cleanly (few fats) then do cardio and "cut" or gradually cut down calories and carbs untill it's enough for decent weightloss. When you're losing this weight and cutting right, strength loss will be at a minimum and since the fat is leaving (hopefully lol) you'll see plenty of definition.
    4. There are a million ways to go about sets. It all depends on your goals. To get bigger, fewer reps, heavier weights. To get more cut and muscle endurance, many reps, lighter weights.
    5. Generally one or two. Some people do more, but personally I find that after giving 100% on the first two, I cannot effectively execute the last couple.
    6. A couple minutes works good for me.
    7. God no. Five times a week with the same muscle group will cause your muscles to atrophy and then you're up s***'s creek. I do muscle groups once a week, but a more common way is to do them 2 or 3 times.
    8. For weights, mine generally last 45 minutes to an hour. If I have a partner then it's longer. You don't have to do a super long and heavy workout to get the exact same muscle stimulation as an hour's work.
    9. Generally most don't.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Thanks alot Will! =)

Rock bottom squats, deadlifts, and presses. Get good at those and the rest will be details.

*How many calories should I eat to get bigger? How much % of it should be fat, carbs, and protien.

Start at 15x bw, adjust from there. 30% fat, 30% carbs, 40% protein to start.

*What is a good routine that would show fast results in muscle growth?

For a beginner? a basic full body routine that includes:
    Squat
    SLDL
    OH press
    Bench press
    Chin
    Row

Repeat 3 times a week on non consecutive days. At the end of each workout, add in work for abs, traps, calves, then arms, as you feel like it. For example, on monday you might do abs, weds you might do shrugs and calf raises, on Friday, you might do some curls and extensions.

*How do you gain muscle and definition?

Workout and eat right

*How many sets should you perform per exercise.

In the above routine? 2-4

*How many reps per exercise?

6-15

*How many exercises should you do per muscle group?

See above

*How much rest should there be between a set.

A minute or two

*Do you need to workout 5 times a week in order to get great muscle definition?

No

*How long should a workout session last?

About an hour or so

*Should you do cardio if you are trying to gain mass?

Generally, cardio is good for you
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

What is SLDL?
    Google didn't give me much.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

stiff leg dead lift.

say that ten times fast.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Can't say it 3 times, let alone 10.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9