The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: What to get

Banned

What to get

Im seriously considering getting a home gym set up around the holidays (that way, ill have a gym in my basement to go to when I am home from school, and i can workout at the college gym while im at school). Could you guys tell me what to get and what it will cost roughly?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

rack, bench, bar, and weights
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Banned
    I also meant to add quantities (sp?) lol. Like how much weight to get and what plates and so forth.

How much can you spend?

That'll be the deciding factor in MY answer, for sure.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    Not sure yet, thats why im asking here. I think ill be able to get the basics, i have to sell it to my parents since it will be placed in the basement back home. Knowing this economy, i should start raiding my bank account lol.

Why dont you look on google and craigs list and get an idea for yourself?

Count on spending at least 300-500 for bare basics
    Sarvamangalam!

Yeah, dude...in the heavily-populated area you're in, you should have absolutely no trouble finding a lot of good, cheap, used stuff.

I would (if I was you) find..

300lb olympic barbell and plates set
    Get adjustable dumbbells (the handles that you can put plates on, or take them off and have spinners on the end to lock them in place).
    I would try to find a power rack if it was me, and then find a bench that will go flat, incline, and decline..get something sturdy, because you have to use it to bench on, inside the power rack.

If you can't find a power rack used, then get a used bench (should be tons), and try to get some squat stands like ZenMonkey has in his thread (at the end, not the beginning of the thread).

That stuff is really all you need. You can bench, squat, and deadlift. You'll have all the dumbbells you'll need. You can add dumbbell plates later if you get hyuuge. You'll have a bench that delines for weighted situps, a pullup bar on the rack, and if you get lucky maybe some dip handles on that rack (like mine..yay me..I don't get to use it..yay life), you can row, military press, do db flyes, curls, deadlift variations for hammies and such...there's a ton you can do. I got by with that stuff for a long time.

5/3/1 Journal

You don't even need the db's, though, and really don't even have to have the rack. A bench and 300lbs olympic set will get you a long way. There are loads of those out there used. Fat people are practically giving them away.

Before I bought a rack or went to a gym, I used to clean and press the barbell, then bring it down to my traps for the squat position, squat for up to 20 reps, THEN press it back up, and return it to the floor quietly. I did that with up to 155lbs for quite a while. Those were the days!
    Last edited by Patz; 10-20-2008 at 08:12 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

I got my power rack from CL for about 200. It came with some weights, ab sling, and a plate rack..

Living in NYC there should be tons on CL..

Power rack
    bench
    texas power bar
    300lbs of plates, 2 45s, 2 35s, 2 25s, 4 10s, etc etc,,

You can do a LOT with just that.

Good luck.

Look for used. You can find some great deals for cheap.

Count on spending ~500$ though for a rack, bench, bar, plates. Try to get somewhere around 500lbs to start. You will probably outgrow that in a few years.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

nah bro u can get the cheaper stuff at walmart thats alot cheaper or craiglist

Nice thing about the walmart stuff is it breaks fairly soon so you get to buy all new stuff in short time! Sweet

craigslist is a good place to go though

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

HA, I was going to say "what about a Smith machine, I've been looking at those and they look pretty cool."

But, I did a search on this forum and it is clear most folks don't like smith machines because it isn't natural. So I ask the question, and I'm not trying to hijack I believe this is related to the orginal poster's question, what are the keys to maintaining safety when benching and squating when working out alone in the garage? Do you just always make sure you stop 1 or 2 reps before failure? Right now I am using dumbells and always go to failure but when I get my home gym I obviously won't be able to do that with a barbell. Does not going to failure slightly decrease gains?

Buy an Olympic barbell and 100lbs of weight. When that isn't enough for you, buy more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by must_eat View Post
    nah bro u can get the cheaper stuff at walmart thats alot cheaper or craiglist
    I fixed it for you. You made the case AGAINST Wal Mart stuff, and didn't even realize it!

The only thing I'd recommend from there is raw weight plates, or the adjustable dumbbell bench if you need something right away and can't afford a really nice one.

5/3/1 Journal