The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Question about rep range - is this a good idea?

I was thinking for my next routine about trying out a different rep system... Instead of going for 2 sets of 8 reps on each and every exercise, would it be a good idea to vary things a little bit? My plan would be to give each muscle part two different rep ranges: 6 reps and 10 reps.

The way I'd do this would be, for example on chest/back day:
    Bench press 2 x 6.
    Incline bench 2 x 6.
    Flies 2 x 10.
    Rows 2 x 10.
    Pullups 2 x 6.
    Shrugs 2 x 8.

Is this going to yield better results than having the same number of reps and sets everywhere? For hypertrophy should I also consider adding some sets with 12 reps, to vary things even more?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Variation is good. My advice is don't get bogged down about which reps produce the most hypertrophy and such. Do it for the mental aspect and to keep with the keystone of productive lifting-- progression.

You can find numerous studies pointing to which rep range is best for such and such a result. In the end, good progression in lifting is a mental game, so you're most likely to stick with what you enjoy.