The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Balancing while benching

Hi guys
    I tried to start benching with barbell today. (ive bin doing it for a week or two some machine where you only have to lift the weight not balance it yourself.) i found that i couldnt balance the barbell with even the lightest weight. what should i do??

Jamie

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

RichLockyer
    Work at it. This is one of the evils of machines. Especially for ectomorphs, we tend to have poorly developed attachment points and the balancing act is a big part of toning the body itself for useful power and not just bulk.

ALWAYS have a spotter when working the bench... never attempt it alone, and have the spotter assist with balance.

Jamie: Put a really light weight on (say 25's on each side) and just bench it 10-15 times. Then do it again. Do this for two or three weightlifting sessions 'till you feel comfortable adding weight. Benching can be very dangerous, and it's responsible for the most weightlifting deaths per year. So get your balance down now before progressing and then it's all good buddy. Don't start doing much heavier weights untill you can balance well. You should adapt to it fast.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

benching is just like riding a bike.

except without the pedals.
    and handlebars
    and brakes
    and tyres
    and gears
    oh and obviously you dont go anywhere

actually, thinking about it benching isnt at all like riding a bike.

Jus rep the empty bar with a spotter till you can move it up and down without horizontal wobble problems. I used to imagine i was pushing the bar up an invisible smith machine rail. still do sometimes when its heavy for me to keep form.

Augs

Sometimes its awkward if you put too LIGHT of a weight on also. If I tried to bench just the bar I would be all over the place.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Benching can be very dangerous, and it's responsible for the most weightlifting deaths per year.

How does it happen? Do they get strangled to death? I work out at home and once or twice I've had to unload the plates when I didn't quite have that full rep in me

im the same way. I can bench 25lbs at home with my small weider set, but at the gym the bars weigh more then what i bench at home without weights. So i feel awkward just doin the bars. Plus i dont know anyone there to spot me or help me.

RichLockyer
    Quote Originally Posted by completeNewb
    How does it happen? Do they get strangled to death? I work out at home and once or twice I've had to unload the plates when I didn't quite have that full rep in me
    Crushing the throat (or forehead/skull), or dropping on the chest.
    Timed "right", it takes only a 40-pound impact to the sternum to stop the heart.

Banned
    ill just keep practacing with light weights for a while untill i get the balancing right.
    cheers for the advice.

Jamie