Thread: I need you to solve my food scheduling problems.

I need you to solve my food scheduling problems.

Hey all, I'm signing in (after a long break from both here and lifting) to get some advice on what I should get for school, in terms of food. I have come up with a schedule that leaves me minimal time (ie, little to none) preperation for all (first 4) meals, but I will have some for #5 and 6. I am thinking powerbars and shakes for 2/4 meals and something more substantive (cottage cheese + ?, something else) for the other 2. Please help me pick out what are the best mealbars/shakes (taste is a big priority) and what is best for the time I have. My schedule is as follows:

8 am wake up, shower, get dressed, make bed, eat breakfast, leave for class (45 minutes to do this, showering, making bed, and getting dressed will take me 30 minutes, leaving meal 1 15 minutes).
    8:45 am leave for class, class until 2 pm, with one break at a midway point, giving me 10 minutes between walking to class to eat something (meal 2, I figure a powerbar is best, not sure if I should add to it).
    From 2pm to 2:30 I have to get to my dorm and pick up my gym bag and head to the gym. I figure I can eat something on the way, so please say what's the best pre-workout (intensive) meal is considering I will have about 5-10 minutes for this (meal 3).
    2:45 Weightlifting (45 minutes)
    3:45 Racquetball practice (30 minutes)
    4:30 cardio (30 minutes), I leave for the gym by 5:15. I should insert meal 4 at some point (I figure after weightlifting, though I might want to break up meal 4 and do smaller meals between each. Keep in mind that they must be something I can leave in an uncooled gym bag.
    5:30 I get back to the dorm, shower and change by 6:00 pm. I can then prepare meals 5 and 6 (I figure 6:30 pm, and 8:30 pm are good times), and I have a pretty good kitchen to prepare what I need.

So what would you advise for me to eat for meals 1-6, considering 1-4 is limited in time, 5 and 6 not, and meals 1, 3, 5, and 6 can be refridgerated while 2 and 4 cannot. I am shooting for 2,500 calories and my main goal is fat loss. No restrictions on types of food (no allergies, food preferences). If you advise a protein shake or powerbar, please pick a favourite (taste and benefit wise) as it's been awhile (6 months) since I've been a weightlifting consumer.

I know I'm asking a lot, but this board is the most informative source I know. Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    Imma help ya out here, see what i can do....

Meal 1: You need both carbs/protien, quick, fast, and tastefull....hmmmmmm
    I would recomend a couple glasses of skim milk, a powerbar (depending on your calorie needs), and a few slices of whole grain bread.
    Meal 2: I would put this meal off until 2pm when you get out of class, have a powerbar with at least 50-75g of complex carbs (this will put your meal about an hour before your workout, optimal for digestion)
    Meal 3: Skip it. Dont eat this soon before working out, (if anything go VERY light, like an apple maybe)
    Meal 4: As SOON as you finish your cardio, have some High GI/sugar barbs (i like to bring along a little bottle of honey, and take a sip post workout) 10 minutes after that, have a whey shake with some complex carbs in it.
    Meal 5: 6:30 is a good time, and you should start reducing your carbs at this time. I would have some lean chicken breasts, along with some brocolli (fiber carb), and maybe another glass of skim milk for a little extra protien.
    Meal 6: 8:30 is also good (depending on when you go to sleep), make this meal whatever you want as long as its very little/no carbs, and almost pure protein/healthy fats.

*Meal 7*: (depending on you calorie needs and if you skipped meal 3 or not)
    Only protein/ fat, you decide the time and what tastes good...

Hope that helps ya
    This is a close match to my diet, i too am on a tight schedule so i feel your pain
    "to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffer" -DMX

A Fortnight Dead
    Only protein/ fat, you decide the time and what tastes good...
    For god's sake, would people PLEASE stop regurgitating this "no carbs in the evening" myth?
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _-_v_-_
    For god's sake, would people PLEASE stop regurgitating this "no carbs in the evening" myth?
    Amen to that.

Wannabebig Member
    i made it clear in my post that the macronutrient breakdown/timing/ calorie limit depended on his needs...he didnt state weather he was trying to cut, bulk, lo carb, high carb, he didnt specify, i merely shared with him what i eat on a daily basis if given his schedule...

Quote Originally Posted by raven23
    i made it clear in my post that the macronutrient breakdown/timing/ calorie limit depended on his needs...he didnt state weather he was trying to cut, bulk, lo carb, high carb, he didnt specify, i merely shared with him what i eat on a daily basis if given his schedule...
    I said my goal is fat loss in the first post. Thanks for the advice

Wannabebig Member
    sorry i didnt read that far

Quote Originally Posted by _-_v_-_
    carbs in the evening stop me from dying or smet, coz i feel so bad.
    i still manage to lose weight with carbs in the evening
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal