The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Some questions on getting abs and more muscle... confused.

Hi, all.. first post.

Anywho, I used to be a lazy junkie, eating Taco Bell and other fast foods constantly, drinking Pepsi all day, not exercising, etc. However, I was still only around 180 ibs. and I wasn't fat at all! Recently, I've decided to start working out and eating right and I started last two weeks and I already am down to like 170 ibs. but I have a few questions:

1. I'm about 6'0, 170 pounds. The worst apart about my body is my stomach and around there. There's no definition there and I want to get lean and expose abs. In order to lose some of the body fat there i am jogging on a treadmill usually in the morning/afternoon for about 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Because of my years of eating unhealty, i cant run that much. i also do situp exercises and workout, have a good eating habit and intake protein shakes and bars. Should I continue to run to lose more bodyfat at the same pace, increase my pace, or stop running all together and just work on the workout routine to get abs? because here's my next question:

2. I also want to get cut and bigger. the only way to increase muscle mass is to gain a little weight but at the same time workout so the weight turns into muscle. I see my biceps and triceps actually improved a little bit, same with my shoulder and back. however, people have told me if i keep running a lot, i will lose weight and lose muscle mass?

so overall my main question is: Can i lose body fat around the stomach and expose abs WHILE increasing muscle mass to get bigger? or do i have to concentrate on one thing at a time. Like I said, I intake about two protein shakes a day (50g protein per shake) in the morning and right after a workout, drink lots of water, glass of lowfat milk, protein bar and tuna/chicken so I get about 150-180 protein a day and i workout 4 days a week for about an hour and run after my workouts. i also take thermo boost before my workouts to increas energy and speed up metabolism.

sorry for the long post, but im a bit confused on how to accomplish my goals. thanks for the help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

to lose body fat u ahve to consume less calories than u burn each day. to gain muscle mass and get bigger, u have to consume more calories than u burn each day. see the contradiction? id say just keep losing body fat youll be more than happy with your body when your finished with your cut.

Actually, since you're new to lifting, you're in a really nice grace period where you can gain muscle and strength and lose bodyfat simultaneously... enjoy it while you've got it. I would suggest focusing more on the lifting than on the running/situps. It's also better to get as much of your nutrition from real food as possible... shakes and bars are okay if you need a snack or protein in a pinch, but don't rely on them as your primarily source of protein- they simply are not as good. I'd also consider dropping the thermoboost- just lifting ought to be sufficient this early in the game. Stick to big compound movements and don't worry too much about your abs... I think you'll find that having big muscles beats having just abs any day.