The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

how do you do closegrip bench??

i usually do db press but today i was working triceps and i decided to try doing close grip bench but found it kinda difficult.

how close do you need to grip the bb so that you work your tris much more than your chest? also... i tried gripping it close and my wrist was hurting from the awkwardly slanted form. i brought it down to my nipples like how i would normally bench a bb.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try gripping it like you would a lawn-mower (or if you were a praying mantis), with your hands elbow width apart. And i dont think you have to bring it down to your chest as that brings in your elbow flexors which is probably bad. Well this is what a trainer told me :/

I do it this way as i also had wrist pain from the slant

Quote Originally Posted by Allyrulez
    Try gripping it like you would a lawn-mower (or if you were a praying mantis), with your hands elbow width apart. And i dont think you have to bring it down to your chest as that brings in your elbow flexors which is probably bad. Well this is what a trainer told me :/

I do it this way as i also had wrist pain from the slant
    whats elbow width? do you mean shoulder width? also how much should i bring it down then?

Use a curl bar. That is a good grip distance. French presses.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    Use a curl bar. That is a good grip distance. French presses.
    i have no hold then... nowhere to latch it on. the benches with holds are only wide enough to catch barbells.

WBB Member
    I try to space my hands about 8 inches apart, if that's any help. Any less than that hurts my wrist, and any more shifts more of the weight to my chest and away from my tris.

All I gotta say is... tuck in your elbows. What I mean is... keep your elbows close your sides to keep the angle of your forearms and bar more perpendicular.

Quote Originally Posted by debussy
    All I gotta say is... tuck in your elbows. What I mean is... keep your elbows close your sides to keep the angle of your forearms and bar more perpendicular.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

how wide is your grip?

ill try to widen my grip next time and see what happens.

On the bars at our gym there are 2 smooth parts of the bar close to the middle. I put my pinki fingers right where the smooth part turns into the rough grip part of the bar... if that makes any sense. And always keep your elbows in like these guys are saying. Otherwise you'll feel it in your shoulders and chest and not your tri's.

Just try a few sets and get as close as you can to the middle of the bar without it hurting.

I am about 6 inches apart when I close grip. Any closer for me, the wrist ache.
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

thx guys. ill try it out the way you do it.

man i hope this works because my elbows are killing me from skulls. we got no dip machine so this is really a last resort thing. if this doesnt work im scared what ill have to do.

what he said...