Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxed out the DB weight...

Maxed out the DB weight...

Anyone else able to lift the heaviest DB's on flat bench for more then 8 reps? Err my gym only goes up to 120lbs...I wish I could somehow try to do 130lb or 140lb db's. It was never a problem when I first joined but I would just like to go really heavy on DB's one day. I know I can always load the bar up but I wanna change it up. Do you think If i requested my gym to get higher then 120lbs they would do it? hmm ill see. Can you still build a huge chest without doing very heavy db's and just doing bar? I mean i can pre fatigue my chest with incline then slam into flat and tear it up. But I would like to do flat first heavy db's err!

My gym only has 88lb dumbells

I just bought some olympic dumbell handels, they should do the job fine

are you talking about each, or 2-60 pounders? I have never seen anyone lift more than a 100 pound dumbell.

Quote Originally Posted by beachmuscles
    Anyone else able to lift the heaviest DB's on flat bench for more then 8 reps? Err my gym only goes up to 120lbs...I wish I could somehow try to do 130lb or 140lb db's. It was never a problem when I first joined but I would just like to go really heavy on DB's one day. I know I can always load the bar up but I wanna change it up. Do you think If i requested my gym to get higher then 120lbs they would do it?
    No. They'd laugh at you. Dumbbells usually run .50-$1/pound. Just to get a set of 130's they're looking at spending $130-$260.

Can you still build a huge chest without doing very heavy db's and just doing bar?
    Of course. Some BBer's use nothing but flat bench. Just make sure it's your chest that's lifting the bar.

Buying some DB handles of your own sounds like the answer.

Under Construction
    Buy some adjustable ankle/wrist weights and wear them when you press. They are generally adjustable from 2 to 10 lbs.
    Last edited by mpi; 07-04-2004 at 06:41 PM.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dualman7
    are you talking about each, or 2-60 pounders? I have never seen anyone lift more than a 100 pound dumbell.
    Where do you train? An elementary school?

If you guys this only having 88 lb db's is bad, you should try having only 55's. i have to use the wierd ones with the disc weights and load them on, and that only gets ot 75. Just pre-exhaust pectorals, that's what i do.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Banned
    Change gyms

Havent they got olympic db's that u can load weight on? if not then gah, **** em!

my gym goes up to 150's I'm kinda in the same situation tho, currently using 120's

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Quote Originally Posted by dualman7
    Yeah dude, do you work out in an elementary school? I use heavier than that all the time.
    "Color outside the lines"

Do different exercises or pre-fatigue the target muscle.

Or, try doing the exercise on a swiss ball. Or try doing them one handed. Or load up an EZ-bar and use that as a big DB.

Or, just switch to BB.

ahahah thanks for all the responses...

and ya what the hell gym you go to where you've NEVER seen someone use the 100's? People at my gym use them all the time...**** i use them for shoulders, triceps, chest, and back...

My gym goes up to 150. Not that I use 150.

I love my DB handles, personally. Until you've done it, you'll never know how fun it is to bench with handles loaded with 25-lb plates.

My gym goes to 120's, I'm using 110's for 6... Scary thought that I'm gonna run out of dumbbells soon...

EDIT: Errr, I put 8 times instead of 6 before... Yah, I don't do 110 8 times...
    Last edited by KoSh; 07-05-2004 at 05:31 PM.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

hahahah..you claim that you bench 400 pounds and play with the 120s yet you ask if you can build a strong chest with those weights? I know a few big guys at my gym that bench 400 pounds but they dont ask your questions. I dont believe you are one of those big dudes. Why dont you post a pic benching the 400 pounds with your small chest?

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh
    My gym goes to 120's, I'm using 110's for 8... Scary thought that I'm gonna run out of dumbbells soon...
    Wtf, in your sig your bench is only 270 but you use the 110's for 8?!? Maybe it's me who is wrong, but one thing I know for sure is that I very rarely see people benching as deep as me (confirmed by a third party), most people only do ½-¾ reps...

If you notice, my post was corrected to 6 prior to your posting... and yes, I can do 110's for 6, and maybe I don't go anywhere as deep as you... Who knows, believe what you want... I'm not one to lie on an internet MB, if I was, I would be lifting a whole lot more than I already am.

Oh, and I got 265 three times today, so I'm guessing my bench is a bit more than 270 now... *shrug* whatever.
    Last edited by KoSh; 07-05-2004 at 06:09 PM.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

heading to 195
    actually guys, i'm in elementary school, and we don't have 60lb'ers, so i don't know what ur talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmofo
    hahahah..you claim that you bench 400 pounds and play with the 120s yet you ask if you can build a strong chest with those weights? I know a few big guys at my gym that bench 400 pounds but they dont ask your questions. I dont believe you are one of those big dudes. Why dont you post a pic benching the 400 pounds with your small chest?
    I never said i bench 400 i said max at 375...Just because you can bench alot of weight doesn't mean i know alot. I just started on this site the past yr i just ate as much protein as possible and benched hard. and i got strong it doesnt mean i know anything!? LOL. definitly a big misconception, people come up to me at the gym and ask me questions like im a trainer i dont know shiiiiiit i just workout and eat and get big lol. My small chest? I'll post a pic next week when i go to my friends house soo he can take some of me. I'll hold up a sign that says "bigmofo is small"

Wannabebig Member
    How do you get into position with those heavy dbs?

I do incline DB press sometimes and I'm curl limited... I'm just doing 65 pound DBs for my inclines (late in my workout) and it's definitely not easy to curl them up into position....

Quote Originally Posted by hanfeitzu
    How do you get into position with those heavy dbs?

I do incline DB press sometimes and I'm curl limited... I'm just doing 65 pound DBs for my inclines (late in my workout) and it's definitely not easy to curl them up into position....
    For flat bench I put them on my knees then lay back at the same time bringing my knees up and the momentum moves them into place.

For inclines I lay back with the dumbbells on my knees then kick them up one at a time. No curling involved.

damn you all! here I'm thinking I'm doing something special by using 85'sfor 1 set. And you bastards are working with 100 pound + . Geezus. Can i see some pics of you.. I think I can do 100 if I had a spotter. But that's BS anyway.
    Last edited by dualman7; 08-14-2004 at 08:31 PM.

Banned

Insurance Reasons

The main reason most gyms don't have DB over a certain weight is for insurance reasons. To have DB's above a certain weight, they need to carry a different level of insurance coverage. For some gyms, it's not worth it.

My usual gym carries up to 150's but doesn't have 140's. Weird.