The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Banned

how many times a week to do each muscle?

right now, considering the amount of time i have available to lift, im lifting each muscle once a week, is this too much time between each muscle?

monday: bis/tris
    tuesday: legs
    wednesday: chest
    thursday: shoulders/back

this is my lifting schedule right now, is there anything i should double up on, as in do two times a week?
    id really like to get my calves and bench going as they are lacking extremely

note: the days arent consistent because of my working schedule, neither is the order really, i try to stick to it but its not possible sometimes, however the lifts always stay how they are
    Last edited by greathuskie; 08-04-2004 at 05:22 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

F'n RAGE man, RAGE
    I work Chest twice a week. One day I do heavy weights, the other I do light weight high reps. I also do Biceps and Triceps twice. I have a day, Wednesday, scheduled for nothing but arms, but I have others days with Biceps thrown in and Triceps thrown in. I work shoulders twice a week also. I do back, legs, and abs once a week.

I work out M-F and rest on the weekend. Doing 45-60 minutes of cardio also every day I work out before the lifts. I begin at 5:15 am, and I am usually done by 7:15-7:30

i say once a week

i do chest/tris on mon and abs

biceps/back on wed

legs on thurs and abs

shoulders on fri

other then abs, the only thing i do mroe then once a week triceps, since the get a little workout on shoulder day, but other then that i only do every muscle part once per week and it works just fine and dandy

mon: chest/tri
    wed: back/shoulders/arms
    thu: chest/tri
    fri: shoulders/arms

for me anyway
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    According to common bodybuilding mythology once week is optimal, according to science higher frequency should provide better results, at least provided overall volume stays the same.

Personally I do everything three times a week, HST style.

Directly once a week, indirectly at least twice. Low volume heavy weights.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pusher
    Directly once a week, indirectly at least twice. Low volume heavy weights.
    This is what I do also. It seems to be working quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by restless
    According to common bodybuilding mythology once week is optimal, according to science higher frequency should provide better results, at least provided overall volume stays the same.
    According to the fact that we organize our lives by weeks, and generally have fixed weekly schedules, once a week is easy for Joe Schmoe to remember and/or fit in. It has little to do with physiology or optimal gains, and everything to do with keeping a regular schedule.

Just do a lot of compound exercises, and you'll hit all of your muscles a few times a week, while keeping a regular schedule.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Personally I do everything three times a week, HST style.

Science has nothing to do with it. It is what is optimal for the individual. For myself I have tried training programs from 1-5 days a week (the more days the less exercises). Once a week has proven to be the best (for me).
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-06-2004 at 01:20 AM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Science has nothing to do with it.
    Of course not.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Of course not.

It's not science (rocket or any other kind). Eat, sleep and train. Do all these in the correct amounts and you will grow. What is the correct amount though? That varies from person to person. So again, what works is what is optimal for the person, be it three times a week or one time a week.

Would you like to actually try and refute my points? No? That's what I thought.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    It's not science (rocket or any other kind). Eat, sleep and train. Do all these in the correct amounts and you will grow. What is the correct amount though? That varies from person to person. So again, what works is what is optimal for the person, be it three times a week or one time a week.

Would you like to actually try and refute my points? No? That's what I thought.

I could, if you actually made any other than that awfully vague "everyone is different" one, which seems to be so much in vogue.

But I don't mind getting into an argument with you, if you agree to speak the same language as I do.

According to science higher frequency should provide better results, at least provided overall volume stays the same.

Personally I do everything three times a week.
    *** This is what I do and agree with.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    I train each muscle 3 times a week, i do 3 fullbody workouts a week.

Down with the Sickness
    I train
    MON Chest/Tri's
    WEDS Back/BI'S (back includes traps)
    FRI Legs/shoulders (legs include calves some people don't consider calves part of legs don't ask me why)

I do pretty much what pusher does directly once a week indirectly twice.

Train abs on all three day and i train heavy and hard every week i only train each bodypart once a week that way there is 7 days of rest inbetween. I do cardio after everywork out for 30 to 40 min.
    Last edited by sublime99; 08-05-2004 at 04:37 PM.

Do what make you grow stronger at the fastest rate. I train each muscles/exercises from 1 to 7 times per week. When I'm full of energy 7x, then I overreach and decrease frequency when I recover I increase frequency again and so on. I found it's better than a fixed frequency.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

You guys best be nice to each other.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    right now, considering the amount of time i have available to lift, im lifting each muscle once a week, is this too much time between each muscle?

monday: bis/tris
    tuesday: legs
    wednesday: chest
    thursday: shoulders/back

this is my lifting schedule right now, is there anything i should double up on, as in do two times a week?
    id really like to get my calves and bench going as they are lacking extremely

note: the days arent consistent because of my working schedule, neither is the order really, i try to stick to it but its not possible sometimes, however the lifts always stay how they are
    my workout program consists of doubling up so this is how mine goes
    monday chest, back, biceps,abs(heavy day)
    tuesday shoulders,tris,abs
    wednesday.legs (heavy day) abs
    thursday repeat monday not heavy lighter weights more reps
    friday legs shoulders abs for legs though since not much of a gap from wednesday i just do lunges, extensions, curls, and run for 25 mins
    wknd off rest ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh relax!

Wannabebig Member
    surely each individual muscle shud be trained after it has recovered from the immediately previous workout,so as i am led to beleive by posts and articles here bigger muscles take longer to recover then the likes of legs will be trained less than shoulders and traps in say a given 7 day period

Wannabebig Member
    these tests above are only one off experiments . a bodybuilder works out most days and so any negative implications may well be cumulative

The frequency at which you train each muscle has nothing to do with recovery or neural fatigue? First time I've heard this. Care to expand?

I don't think he was saying that. I think what he was suggesting is that, within reason, muscle can be more or less continually loaded without adversely affecting its ability to hypertrophy.

Proof for this can be found in stretch overload studies, if you believe inferences made from animal models apply to humans.

Oh you mean (what I call) the HST studies? The studies that were done with the goal of proving HST is superior?

No such studies exist.

I was talking about studies that were done by an independent research group and published in a peer-review journal.

Every single study posted on Bryan's articles are from peer reviewed sources.

If you have links to such studies please post them. Don't just claim something along the lines of 'they are out there somewhere' Not a terribly convincing argument I am afraid. Again with the "more data" please show us where this "data" is and what peer-reviewed journals it has been posted in.

The studies are all fully referenced at the HST site. It'd take you approximately 5 minutes to gather a number of them that support Bryan's assertions.

As for my empirical observations and conclusions well yes they are probably more accurate regarding myself and how I should train. Who is likely to be more correct? Some study saying how I should train (when I followed such recommendations and made little gains) Or should I trust my experience and judgment and follow the training methods that actually produced significant gains? As a side note how many people do you know (on here) that follow strict "scientific" recommendations to as how they should train? HST is NOT the only valid training method.

There's a variety of issues here.

Firstly, the reliability of a sample of n=1 is going to be small. What I mean by this is that it is hard for a given individual to discern cause from correlate amongst the very large number of variables that pertain to one's training. From how much you're lifting, how often, with what volume, your diet, etc. The problem with anecdote is that it is uncontrolled, so, while it is certainly valuable, 'science' aims to remove some of the shortcomings of relying on mere anecdote in determining how **** happens.

Secondly, your own personal experience is hard to evaluate. While research does imply partitioning up weekly volume into more frequent sessions is a good thing, it's hard to abstractly judge whether it's better to do so without looking at exactly what you did. For example, training frequently requires one to pay a LOT of attention to overtraining, and avoiding central fatigue and even injury. Training to failure three times a week is more likely to lead to 'overtraining' of the CNS than training to failure once a week. If you trained with 'full intensity' in both scenarios, it's possible once a week WILL be better because the once a week will then provide something that the thrice a week will not: progressive tension overload over time. Meaning you lift heavier stuff over time.

As for the "science has nothing to do with it" that was not the sum total of my argument in that post. Your response "Of course not" was. I made a valid point in that post about what is optimal for the individual. You choose not to respond to that. But hey it's all good. I just like debates to which the replies are a wee bit more elaborate

What you seem dangerously close to advocating here is what's known as the 'myth of biochemical individuality.'

Yes, people are individuals, and respond in different ways, to some degree, to different things. However, what makes your muscles grow is the same thing that makes any other person's muscles grow. The same principles apply regardless of the individual. Individual factors simply serve as a context, and when it comes down to doing what's 'best,' it must be examined at an individual level. However, the principles apply to everybody. Assuming they're true and all.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis
    [b]Proof for this can be found in stretch overload studies, if you believe inferences made from animal models apply to humans.

[
    No such studies exist.

[
    Every single study posted on Bryan's articles are from peer reviewed sources.

[The studies are all fully referenced at the HST site. It'd take you approximately 5 minutes to gather a number of them that support Bryan's assertions.

[Secondly, your own personal experience is hard to evaluate. While research does imply partitioning up weekly volume into more frequent sessions is a good thing, it's hard to abstractly judge whether it's better to do so without looking at exactly what you did. For example, training frequently requires one to pay a LOT of attention to overtraining, and avoiding central fatigue and even injury. Training to failure three times a week is more likely to lead to 'overtraining' of the CNS than training to failure once a week. If you trained with 'full intensity' in both scenarios, it's possible once a week WILL be better because the once a week will then provide something that the thrice a week will not: progressive tension overload over time. Meaning you lift heavier stuff over time.

What you seem dangerously close to advocating here is what's known as the 'myth of biochemical individuality.'

Yes, people are individuals, and respond in different ways, to some degree, to different things. However, what makes your muscles grow is the same thing that makes any other person's muscles grow. The same principles apply regardless of the individual. Individual factors simply serve as a context, and when it comes down to doing what's 'best,' it must be examined at an individual level. However, the principles apply to everybody. Assuming they're true and all.

Inferences made from animal models do not always apply to humans though. So not quite sure what your point was here.

"No such studies exist" I never claimed they do. I said (please read before posting) that it was what "I labeled them as such" NOT that they were called that, or in fact even existed. This was in response to a couple of diehards on another board. They insisted that there were indeed such studies done and I started referring to them as these "HST studies" in as much the same way as people talk about 'upper chest'. I thought Mr. restless was on about the same thing.

Who was talking about Bryan? I never mentioned him in regards to what you are talking about. I was talking about studies that prove HST is the best training method ever. I was asking to see studies that scientifically prove training 3 days a week is better than one.

You state that "when it comes down to doing what's 'best' it must be examined at a individual level". Exactly my point. Go back and read my posts again.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-12-2004 at 07:48 AM.

I have to agree with EA. You guys could go on and on. All things being equal restless you would be correct, but all things are not equal. The human body is complex. There are so many variables that will effect how benefical a particular routine will be to an individual. Nutrition, the different ratios of muscle fiber types, hormonal levels, supplementation, etc., they all play a role and none of them are the same between two human beings. You have to figure out what works best for you and stick with it.

Personally, I gain really well doing a full body routine 3 days a week.
    The half-million citizens of the District of Columbia, like citizens of the fifty states, bear all of the obligations of American citizenship: they are required to obey the laws passed by Congress; they pay federal taxes; they serve in the military; and they fight and die in our wars. Yet they lack the most basic right that should accompany American citizenship—the right to full voting representation in Congress. This makes the United States the only nation in the world with a representative, democratic constitution that denies citizens of its capital representation in the national legislature. In fact, no fewer than 183 nations provide their citizens the type of representation citizens of Washington, DC are denied.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    . You have to figure out what works best for you and stick with it.

Personally, I gain really well doing a full body routine 3 days a week.

Exactly. And I gain well from a once a week routine. Does this mean one of us is lying? No. it simply means through trial and error and reading we have each found a routine that works well for each of us. By the way, those people who claim that you MUST do a full body routine 3 days a week, might want to look at Chris Mason's journal. Here is a example of a man who trains bodyparts LESS frequently than once a week and STILL gains. (If I am wrong about Mr. Mason's training routines, I am sure he will correct me)

Exactly. And I gain well from a once a week routine. Does this mean one of us is lying? No. it simply means through trial and error and reading we have each found a routine that works well for each of us. By the way, those people who claim that you MUST do a full body routine 3 days a week, might want to look at Chris Mason's journal. Here is a example of a man who trains bodyparts LESS frequently than once a week and STILL gains. (If I am wrong about Mr. Mason's training routines, I am sure he will correct me)
    I'll suggest two things.

1) Personal trial and error in and of itself probably isn't the best way to figure out what 'works' best, simply because there are too many training variables to consider, and endless iterations or interpretations of each of these. We ALL start with a general idea of how stuff works, and then experiment from there.

What's being suggested is that the 'standard' for growth should lean in the direction of more frequent training.

2) Just because more frequent training might be more optimal for growth does not mean other protocols won't work well.

Saying that you can drive to work by going on streets X, Y, and Z doesn't mean that you couldn't also get there via A, B, and C. There's multiple paths we can take that will lead us to the same place. All that's being considered here is a question of 'optimization.'

Ie 'what's optimal.' While individual variation has to be considered, 'what makes us grow best' in principle is not going to change from one person to the next. This is a very important point to understand.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 08-13-2004 at 07:50 PM.