The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: cholestral

Wannabebig Member

cholestral

Last week I had a blood test which showed my cholestral levels had risen since January.

My total cholestral was 185 (up 35)
    LDL 110 (up 30)
    HDL 42 (down 2)

I workout 6 to 7 days a week and eat about the same foods every day - including 12 egg whites oats 4 fruits 2 cups of vegetables. What could have caused the levels to rise? My HDL has always been low and my doctor said it was just genetic (an excuse that covers everything).

Also my fasting blood sugar rose from 85 to 99. Could the fruit have caused this?

At the moment I am doing the HCT-12 4 days a week and HIIT running/swimming for 30 mins on the other days, my levels should be in order.

Sometimes I think cholestral levels are an instrument to keep patients aware of their health and spending money and dont really have any valid use. Maybe bllood pressure alone is a good enough test to determine whether the blood vessels are getting blocked up.

Suggestions and comments welcomed. Thank you.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gelong View Post
    Last week I had a blood test which showed my cholestral levels had risen since January.

My total cholestral was 185 (up 35)
    LDL 110 (up 30)
    HDL 42 (down 2)

I workout 6 to 7 days a week and eat about the same foods every day - including 12 egg whites oats 4 fruits 2 cups of vegetables. What could have caused the levels to rise? My HDL has always been low and my doctor said it was just genetic (an excuse that covers everything).

Also my fasting blood sugar rose from 85 to 99. Could the fruit have caused this?

At the moment I am doing the HCT-12 4 days a week and HIIT running/swimming for 30 mins on the other days, my levels should be in order.

Sometimes I think cholestral levels are an instrument to keep patients aware of their health and spending money and dont really have any valid use. Maybe bllood pressure alone is a good enough test to determine whether the blood vessels are getting blocked up.

Suggestions and comments welcomed. Thank you.
    Are you overweight?
    Does your family have a history of high cholesterol?
    Genetics can be a perfectly valid answer for why you have high cholesterol levels, it's not an "excuse."

Doctors have no shortage of patients and in fact, primary care doctors are swamped right now with patients and would probably love to have less volume. So, no, cholesterol is not an "instrument to keep patients aware of their health and spending money and dont really have any valid use."

Blood pressure alone is not a good enough test. Your cardiac health is not like flipping a switch, it's all about analyzing risk factors and trying to decrease the likelihood of an adverse event. Heart disease is the number 1 killer in this country, and unfortunately happens to be a complicated disease.
    Listen to your doctor.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    My cholesterol level is at 230, waaaaay higher than yours. And I'm relatively fit and healthy btw. I'm not overweight.

Research has indicated that changes in diet or exercise level do not do much to reduce total cholesterol levels. In other words, there's little you can do about it. You can improve your HDL though. While your LDL is smashing, your HDL could do with some improvement. Nothing to worry about really.

I'd be much more worried about your FBS. Anything above 100 is considered prediabetic, and you are painfully close to that mark. I'm no doctor, of course. If your doctor thinks it's fine then it probably is. What is your body composition?
    Last edited by alin; 05-20-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    There is no such thing as “firming and toning.” There is only stronger and weaker.
    -- Mark Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    Monitoring cholesterol levels is rather exasperating though necessary. Mine seem to fluctuate like the stocks and shares. Last January my doctor said I had levels of a young active guy but now...... although my diet has not changed.

The only reason I have for the higher LDL level is I have been consuming a lot of peanuts. Bearing in mine one ounce has 14 gr of fat (though it is good fat) I have been 40 gr a day of fat from the nuts alone. As for the HDL I have no idea.

Cant understand why the blood sugar has risen; someone told me I eat too many bananas. I think blood sugar levels are affected by the total calorie consumption and not the sugar content of the foodstuffs.

I am 171 cms tall and weigh 75kg with most of the excess fat on my belly. I consume about 2000 cals a day, which after considering my exercise regime is below maintenance.

Now I have decided to eat a little less to shed a few kgs and reduce my nut consumption. (Maybe I should drink some red wine?)

Wannabebig Member
    After consulting a list of GI values the fruits I eat - goji berries, bananas, papaya - seem to be all right.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    Research has indicated that changes in diet or exercise level do not do much to reduce total cholesterol levels. In other words, there's little you can do about it. You can improve your HDL though. While your LDL is smashing, your HDL could do with some improvement. Nothing to worry about really.
    No.
    For some people changes in diet and exercise do not do much to cholesterol, for others it does work. Cholesterol can be a combination of genetics, lifestyle or both. Some people are predisposed to inherently producing high levels of cholesterol, other people are more affected by their diet and/or activity level. This was why there was so much back and forth with egg studies.

I need to start putting that in my signature because I'm getting tired of repeating it.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 05-20-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

heading to 195
    Your cholesterol seems fine to me. I'm 26 years old, 6'0" 200 pounds. My cholesterol is 236. My LDL is 144. After finding that out, I've totally changed my diet in hopes of reversing that, so don't feel too bad.