The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

everything is going wrong: lost power, motivation lacking, lost weight and strength!

At the moment it feels like everything is going wrong: I've lost power, motivation, and even lost some weight and strength. I feel tired most of the time and I'm getting a bit worried. Has anyone else ever felt like this? What can I do?

Here is some information about me; I'm 17, 6'3, currently just under 13 stone, I am (usually) fit and strong. I was 13 and 1/2 stone at the start of the summer (around 190lbs). Then i went on mountain climbing trip for two weeks and lost half a stone but I was not that bothered because it was some fat as well as muscle. I haven't tested my bodyfat for ages but I would estimate I am around 12% at the moment. I thought that this endurance and lung size increase would help my fitness even if i'd lost a little strength but since then i have a lost another few kgs in the last two weeks; and have found it really hard to force myself to train properly. I row and was aiming to do a few 30-40 or even 60min seesions on the rowing machine that I have. But I just don't have the motivation. I was also doing power training and max HR stuff a few days ago and I just had no energy after the first couple of intervals. I have been doing some summer work as well on random days through the week which really screws up my plans. I am now just working on the weekends so I have a good chance to do some decent training over the next few weeks. I bumped into my coach yesterday and he said not to worry about max effort power pieces so much as the body cannot continue this all year round with continuing success and told me just to concentrate on long endurance work. I have started taking 500mg of vit.C a day as well as a good multivitamin.

Have you got any advice to get me back on track?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

whats your diet like?

illness?

Overtraining?
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Banned
    Actually I was ill for 3 or 4 days last week where I had a bug or something that was going around at the restaurant where I'm working this summer. I was sick one day and then a couple days later I was fine. I don't think that was the main problem to be honest although it may account for the little bit of weight I lost as I have a very fast metabolism and it is the result of huge eating over the last few year to even get this far. I am not on a very restrictive diet or anything like that either. I could just be a bit burned out from training all year, then walking. But I got back two weeks ago and I haven't done all that much since so I should have fully recovered by now.

I think I might try a few motivational tricks like writing down all my goals, and wirting up a full training plan. I might record everything I eat for a few days as well. Does this sort of thing work?

I was thinking about trying to gain some weight this holiday anyway so I might buy some weight-gainer, maybe the extra calories and nutrients would give me extra energy and aid recuperation and that sort of thing.

Any other ideas?

You could be depressed and/or need to change your routine. Most do it every 2-4 months.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Banned
    thank you very much
    wholesale companies
    wine sales

Wannabebig New Member
    Eat when you’re hungry
    I know this sounds obvious, but eating sugary foods causes a subsequent crash in energy, leaving you wanting more sweetness. On the other hand, eating for slow energy release is a sustainable way to keep your weight loss motivation firing on all cylinders without you having to consciously think about it. For slow-release energy, eat protein with every meal alongside ‘good carbs’ such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans. This avoids the ‘crash and burn’ of sugar overdosing.
    Karen walked down the aisle over six years ago. I still see her at my gym sometimes. She tells me that the happiest day of her life was so happy because she felt so healthy. The fact that she was slim was (and is) just a happy outer reflection of the changes she’s experienced in the ways she feels and thinks about food.
    (1) Having an obese friend dramatically increases the risk of becoming similarly fat, according to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine. Obesity is ’socially contagious’, spreading from person to person in a social network, researchers said. The study found that if one person becomes obese, those closely connected to them have a greater chance of becoming obese themselves. Surprisingly, the greatest effect was seen not among people sharing the same genes or household, but among friends.

Change Management Software
    Custom USB Memory Sticks
    Last edited by intel775; 05-21-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Actually I was ill for 3 or 4 days last week where I had a bug or something that was going around at the restaurant where I'm working this summer. I was sick one day and then a couple days later I was fine. I don't think that was the main problem to be honest although it may account for the little bit of weight I lost as I have a very fast metabolism and it is the result of huge eating over the last few year to even get this far. I am not on a very restrictive diet or anything like that either. I could just be a bit burned out from training all year, then walking. But I got back two weeks ago and I haven't done all that much since so I should have fully recovered by now.

I think I might try a few motivational tricks like writing down all my goals, and wirting up a full training plan. I might record everything I eat for a few days as well. Does this sort of thing work?

I was thinking about trying to gain some weight this holiday anyway so I might buy some weight-gainer, maybe the extra calories and nutrients would give me extra energy and aid recuperation and that sort of thing.

Any other ideas?
    I think it's completely natural.
    I had a period of about 8 months where I wasn't making any gains. I realized I just wasn't pushing myself really. I thought I was, but all the sudden I got into the gym one day and attacked the weights. I realized it had been a long time since I'd exerted myself in that way.

I think you already have some good ideas
    Keeping a journal is good motivation. Try taking weekly photos of your progress. Track your diet. Change your routine.
    Throw on some death metal in the car ride to the gym and take some stimulants (caffeine, ginseng, vitamin B etc.) Really psych yourself up and remind yourself of why you started lifting in the first place. Also, up your carbohydrate intake before a workout session. 90% of the time (number totally pulled out of ass, but lets just say with a high frequency) , if I'm feeling sluggish, I can usually attribute it to not having gotten in enough carbohydrates before a training session.
    You need to change your perception and fall in love with the activity again.

Are you cutting right now or bulking or maintaining?
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Banned
    Holy Old Thread Batman!

I think this may have actually been my very first post in the forum!

This was many years ago and a whole lot has happened since. Damn, how did this get bumped?

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Holy Old Thread Batman!

I think this may have actually been my very first post in the forum!

This was many years ago and a whole lot has happened since. Damn, how did this get bumped?
    Do you feel better now