Thread: How bad is alcohol...

hammin'

How bad is alcohol...

...for attempting to run a mass building routine. Go ahead, ruin my day :o
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

it goes straight to the stomach and is hella hard to get rid of?

thus why ive limited myself to 3 drinks, from tonight
    Last edited by Ğragons; 08-07-2004 at 06:57 AM.
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Beer belly is a myth and untrue. No food can target a bodypart for weight gain. it is genitics.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 08-07-2004 at 09:38 AM.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    the beer belly myth just comes about because beer is really high in calories. if your going to drink, drink spirits straight, or with some diet pop.

some down sides to alchol that ive seen:
    - it slows down protein obsorption
    - it halters fat loss

in saying that, i drank alchol once a week while on UD2, and still got good results
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

I wannabebig!
    also adds to muscle degredation, and the beer belly does have some slight truth to it in regards to empty calories and increasing vat.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    also adds to muscle degredation, and the beer belly does have some slight truth to it in regards to empty calories and increasing vat.
    Regardless of what is in beer, even if it does make you fat, it won't just make your belly fat. No different then saying you can target a part of the muscle.

The Beer Belly Myth Destroyed
    Published: 24 October 2003

A research led by the University of London indicates that the beer belly is misnamed. The distinctive bulge frequently associated with the consumption of beer is not necessarily caused by it.

The research team, led by Martin Bobak, used the data collected from the Czech Republic, a country that boasts of the highest per capita beer consumption in the world. The data included 891 men and 1,098 women aged between 25-64, who were either non-drinkers or drank exclusively beer. The research team compared their body mass index with their waist-hip ratio, which is responsible for measuring the beer belly.

The researchers found out that, when taking into consideration and correcting other factors such as smoking, there was no significant link between beer drinking and the beer belly.

The study also shows that women who drank beer tended to weigh less, rather than more, than those who did not.

"It is unlikely that beer intake is associated with a largely increased waist-hip ratio or body mass index. The association between beer and obesity, if it exists, is probably weak," wrote the researchers in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Boback said beer may not be the real culprit in a beer belly. However, beer drinking is linked to other aspects of diet and lifestyle that may lead to what was so far known as the 'beer belly'.

=========================================================

Is the Beer Gut a Myth? Study Finds Drinking May Not Lead to Weight Gain

By Jacob Gaffney

Going on a diet may be called for now and then, but giving up your regular glass of wine or beer as part of a new health kick may not be necessary, according to new research on the relationship between alcohol consumption and body fat.

The study, from the State University of New York at Buffalo, found that moderate drinking generally did not result in a fatter stomach -- the phenomenon known as the "beer gut." Among the participants, wine drinkers tended to be the thinnest, even more so than nondrinkers. Beer drinking was unrelated to one's waist size, according to the report in the Journal of Nutrition. However, liquor drinkers tended to have more body fat than abstainers.

The researchers interviewed 2,343 men and women -- aged 35 to 79, from western New York -- in detail about their drinking habits over the previous 30 days and their lifestyle, including smoking, exercise and diet. The scientists also measured the subjects' body-mass index and abdominal height -- the distance from the spine to the top of the stomach.

Comparing beverage preferences with abdominal height found that wine drinkers had the smallest average "stomach curve" -- for both men and women, about a centimeter shorter than nondrinkers. However, the authors noted, wine drinkers also exercised more and ate a healthier diet. Beer drinkers' guts protruded no more or less than nondrinkers on average. Spirits drinkers tended to be the pudgiest of the groups.

The amount and frequency of consumption was also connected to body fat. "Participants with the most intense drinking, more than four drinks in a drinking day, but on a sporadic basis, had some of the largest abdominal heights," the researchers reported.

Frequent light to moderate consumption was linked with less fat. Men and women who consumed either less than one drink a day or one to two drinks daily generally had smaller stomachs than those who drank alcohol once or twice a week or less than weekly -- and were up to 2 centimeters thinner than nondrinkers. Those who had between two and four drinks a day were also thinner than nondrinkers, but similar in size to those who drank only weekly.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 08-07-2004 at 10:40 AM.
    My Journal

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

I thought it was the volume of liquid that expanded the stomach and led to the 'beer belly', not necessarily the caloric content

Umm, then wouldn't someone who drank a lot of water like you are suppose to have a "beer belly" too? it is not like the stomach can stay expanded 24/7 even when empty.
    My Journal

Even if it doesn't cause the beer belly, as someone already said it's empty calories and has enough negative affects on growth. (PS, agree with the beer belly myth being false. it's like saying if you eat turkey your ankles will get fat).

If you wanna drink, either expect slowier gains, or switch to spirits for less calories. Same ill affects, but least you get rid of that one part.

And by no means am I saying that you can't grow if you drink.
    LaLa

hammin'
    Here, I got a downside to alcohol.... I was walking outside on grass last night, it was wet with dew, anyway I slipped and fell, rotating my right femur against the tibula (?).... now my ****ing knee is sprained.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

against all calories, depression of testosterone production is probably my biggest reason not to drink too much
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Idling
    alcohol also dehydrates you, and leads to increased levels of estrogen.

I find getting drunk throws off my mind more than anything, I don't commit to my eatting scedule (missed meals, eating really ****ty food). I usually get a really bad sleep if any at all. Then I am not feeling anywhere near 100% come the next day at the gym.

I find beer makes me feel too bloated and uncomfortable. I'd rather stick to rum.
    My Journal

Since Red Wine is supposed to be healthy, I indulge once or twice week on a bottle or two of Merlot or Cabernet. However, I only do this on either the fourth or fifth day after I lift and never on the night before I will lift. I don't see there being an issue with this as I am 6'4 and 245 pounds.

For what it's worth, I don't drink and am extremely cut. Also for what it's worth, I know a guy who drinks frequently and is pretty cut. I guess it depends on how much you work out, genetics, metabolism, and the rest of your diet.

Beer makes you fat and most people get fat in the belly therefore beer belly isn't a myth. No one said beer will only make you fat in the belly, people just say "beer belly" to explain where they got their bulging gut from (the turkey example is prime, no one says "turkey ankles" or "hamburger saggy arms" if anything they say "hamburger belly").

so yeah reasons not to drink:
    - Huge amounts of unusefull calories
    - Muscular degredation
    - Increase in Etrogen and drop in testosterone
    - Makes you look stupid
    - Tends to lead to destroyed, irregular or atleast compromised sleeping habits
    - Works over your liver so it can't process water well which will also lead to fat gains
    - Dehydrates you (will also hurt your liver on top of the onslaught of poisin)
    - Hormonal inbalance can cause gyno (male breasts) in some extreme cases
    - Destroys brain cells (notice you recall more with time? Thats your brain healing)
    - Will most likely have a negitive effect on the next days training
    - And, just for trich daddy, can lead to any number of unpredictable injurys
    Last edited by wrestlemaniac; 08-08-2004 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    Umm, then wouldn't someone who drank a lot of water like you are suppose to have a "beer belly" too? it is not like the stomach can stay expanded 24/7 even when empty.
    Yeah, the same would go for water, but most people don't drink the equivalent amount of water (unless they're exercising, in which case the water would get used up quickly). I'm not sure if it's true though, it's just what I heard somewhere.

Beer makes you fat and most people get fat in the belly therefore beer belly isn't a myth. No one said beer will only make you fat in the belly, people just say "beer belly" to explain where they got their bulging gut from (the turkey example is prime, no one says "turkey ankles" or "hamburger saggy arms" if anything they say "hamburger belly").
    Lol, it didn't come from people who drink being fat. What a bunch of bunk. ( and if you bothered to read the research you would know people who drink are no fatter then people who don't)

The beer belly referrs to people with mostly just big bellys and the myth that they get like that from drinking beer. Which research proves to be fasle.
    My Journal

but yeah, the people may "weigh" less, because they prolly also degraded muscle tissue, which weighs more, its more about look than the weight itself.
    "Color outside the lines"

Either way, it is still a bunch of bunk because I know lots of people who drink a lot of beer and they don't have "beer guts" Sure if you drink a lot of beer and eat crap you will get fat and a big belly but how can you believe that you can't target parts of muscles but you can believe targets your stomach and make it more big then the rest of you any more then any other thing that would make you fat. Where is the logic?
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 08-08-2004 at 11:27 AM.
    My Journal

i feel bloated when i drink beer, and the calories are so high. I stick with shots
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

Wine is OK for calories, also you look way debonnaire, unless you drink it from the bottle

A lot of vodka is made from beer so I try and stay away from it. Rum seems pretty harmless so rum and coke is my choice of drink. That and tequila
    My Journal

IdaMAN you're not listening. No one is saying beer targets your stomach area (all foods do that lol). They're just saying beer makes you fat (which it does, I don't care what your research says. If it says beer doesn't make you fat it's wrong).