Thread: Deadlifts/back pain

Deadlifts/back pain

I posted this in another thread but it was off topic so I want it to have it's own thread.

I hurt my lower back doing deads yesterday I was using the right technique too. It is jusr one side of my lower back. Would using a belt help me in preventing hurting myself again?

Quote Originally Posted by HardToSquat
    Not necessarily, did you tense all of your muscles in your mid-section including the lower back and keep your lower back as straight as possible? I usually do the Valsalva effect when squatting or deadlifting which is holding the breath once starting the excercise. I have yet to use a belt in lifting and I can squat and deadlift impressive poundages.
    Well you can't exactly keep your back straight when doing deads but I did keep my head forward and pushed up with my heels. I think I might have went too heavy for only my second deadlift workout though. The weight was basicly resting in my fingers. I hurt my back on the lower side of my stong side. Almost feels like joint but the muscle is sore to the touch.

I want to add that it is getting better as the hrs go by so it is not anything serious.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 08-07-2004 at 11:57 PM.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    I posted this in another thread but it was off topic so I want it to have it's own thread.

I hurt my lower back doing deads yesterday I was using the right technique too. It is jusr one side of my lower back. Would using a belt help me in preventing hurting myself again?

Well you can't exactly keep your back straight when doing deads but I did keep my head forward and pushed up with my heels. I think I might have went too heavy for only my second deadlift workout though. The weight was basicly resting in my fingers. I hurt my back on the lower side of my stong side. Almost feels like joint but the muscle is sore to the touch.

I want to add that it is getting better as the hrs go by so it is not anything serious.
    A belt will not help much if you do not have a strong core (ab and lower back muscles) These need to be trained belt-free in order to get strong. That said I use a belt...but only on the heaviest lifts. If your core is strong, using a belt can not hurt and could possibly help as long as you do NOT use it for every lift.

I just don't want to strain the muscle again like i did.My lower back has always been like this. maybe I should wait until it is stronger before doing deads?
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    I just don't want to strain the muscle again like i did.My lower back has always been like this. maybe I should wait until it is stronger before doing deads?
    If you are still experiencing pain, definitely wait until it is all gone. Then start back in, but with lighter weights and proper form. Once your back is healed, the only way it will get stronger is through being worked. Stay away from heavy weights for a while though and focus on conditioning your core.

Although if your back has ALWAYS been like this, I would strongly advise you to see a doctor (one who has experience with weight-training would be preferable) BEFORE starting weight-training again.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-08-2004 at 05:55 AM.