The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Coming back after overtraining?

Hi,
    I have taken about 5 days off after being burned out from overtraining. I had been doing 5 days with an hour intense cardio per week, plus a three day split. I had been doing this for probably about a year straight with no rest except my one day off from the gym a week. About a month ago I incorporated squats and deads, and I think these two heavy lifts put me over the edge, and I just got burned out. My question is, when I begin working out again (probably tomorrow or the day after, depends how my body feels), would it make sense to do only lifting for another week and hold off the cardio, giving my body another couple days of (relative) rest and letting it get back into things gradually? Or should I just wait until I feel totally rested and go full swing? Oh yeah, I am planning on cutting back the cardio levels to avoid overtraining again but I won't be cutting it out completely. Also, how do you know when you are totally read to start back? I have a hard time distinguishing between true fatigue and simple laziness.

Thanks,
    Luke

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

IMHO after that much time without a break I'd take off a few weeks (3-4)...
    I dont think 5 days is gonna cut it...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    IMHO after that much time without a break I'd take off a few weeks (3-4)...
    I dont think 5 days is gonna cut it...

Yeah, you're probably right...I guess my question is would it be okay to do some light lifting (like maybe half as many sets as normal) during my "rest" if I did take a couple weeks off, or would this totally defeat the purpose of resting. I mean, if I'm only lifting 3 days a week and that's the extent of my activity, it seems like my body would be still be getting a good deal of rest, especially when it's used to 5-6 days of heavy cardio on top of the lifting. The reason I ask is that I'm going to be eating slightly over my maintinence calories during my break (because I'm afraid of eating below maintinence and losing muscle) and I thought if I did some reduced-intensity lifting at least then all of the surplus calories wouldn't just turn to fat.

Thanks,
    Luke