The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Regular bench press vs SMith machine bench press

is there any difference in effects?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Footballer
    yes lack of stabilizers using smith machine
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Wannabebig Member
    which will result in...

The regular BB bench will allow you to lift in a more natural groove where as the Smith machine forces you to lift in an un-natural groove which can result in injury.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToSquat
    The regular BB bench will allow you to lift in a more natural groove where as the Smith machine forces you to lift in an un-natural groove which can result in injury.
    I prefer bench as i can press in my natural motion and do not have twist the weight back intot he rack.
    as for injury. well not to sure about that. though twisting the weight back into the rack does play havoc on my wrsit that could lead to increased risk of injury.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

you can use alot more weight with smith

It will result in less real world strength, as well as it becoming a more isolated exercise then compound.
    LaLa

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by CiteCollegiale
    you can use alot more weight with smith
    are you sure if the smith machine has not got pully assiting it?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Smith macines are counter weighted so instead of the bar weighing 45 lbs it weighs about 15. I think they can have their place as a supplementory lift but freeweight bb bench should be a mainstay of most routines.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

So if you were ever pushing on something really hard and your stabilizers were weak due to smith machine, you could seriously hurt yourself. Personally, I despise the smith machine.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Waiting on a Star to Fall Hickory's Avatar
    benching on smith machine is pointless unless you have no spotter, but then why not just use dumbells instead?

Under Construction
    The Smith machine has its place in bodybuilding but not necessarily for powerlifting Any resistance training with progressive overload should produce results. Those doing Dogg Crapp and other HIT type routines use it quite a bite since it easier to rest/pause using the Smith. The only exercise I would not recommend for the Smith is back squats since it can stress your back.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    So if I were to slap 145 on a smith, and 145 on a BB and bench it, would one "feel" lighter than the other?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Yes.

I can bench atleast 60 pounds more on the smith.

Banned
    I personally think the ammount of weight for me will generally be the same, I actually found the smith harder, at first.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    ^Yea same slosh.

We'll just test our max in end august vs. our max at school.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I started benching on the Smith machine but have since "graduated" to the real thing. Note that in December, I had no experience lifting ever.

I can't begin to tell you how much things have improved strength-wise whilst on the free bench.

That said, you should do what works for you and your comfort level. I can only attest to personal experience.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wannabebig Member
    some smith machines have pulleys,some dont
    also some smith like machines give a more natural feeling lift as they arent as tightly linear as other smith machines
    in my experience.

Idling
    The only thing smith machines are good for is standing calf raises. Thats about it.

Down with the Sickness
    I hate going to the gym to see the guys who have a huge upper body and severly under developed lower body working on the smith machine to bench, and the sad thing is that they also have a spotter LMAO F#$KIN

hammin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ecliptic
    The only thing smith machines are good for is standing calf raises. Thats about it.
    Amen.

I used to use them for shrugs as well.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

Yeah I use them for shrugs as well.

Wannabebig Member
    put it this way i bench 230 on a regular bench and roughly 245-250 on a smith machine...and ye smith is good for shrugs

i think ectomorphs would find the smith up their lift more signifigantly than endo's an mesos, my reasoning being that the small/skiny arms and wrists spend more energy to stabalize the bar then they do for the other body types.
    that crazy theory having been stated...

just do regular bench, its better all around.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.