Thread: How to stay motivated

Da Tejas

How to stay motivated

OK I have been working out off and on for over a year now (mostly on) but I seriously have bouts with lethargy. I can always drag myself to the gym for weight training but besides that, all bets are off. I guess what I am really asking is... is alcohol bad for training. No seriously, How do you guys build up your will power against crap food and bad work out habits? Thanks

start tracking your weight and diet, it wont take long for you to see a correlation between crap in and crappy results...also its pretty clear in the data I've collected on my own diet and lifestyle that alcohol affects my body for 3 days post drinking (assuming 4 to infinity drinks on a night)

It sure sounds like you don't really want to do it when you say stuff like you have to drag yourself to the gym. I love going to the gym and working out. You have to find a way to stay positive whether it be changing gyms or finding someone to work out with to help keep you motivated. Find "non crap foods" that you like and just have a cheat day and have small amounts of "crap" There is no way to explain will power. It is something you just do. if you don't have the will power then you are just not trying hard enough or want it enough. You have to want it and just do it. Every day that goes by that you don't do it is a day of your life gone that you will never get back. Try thinking of that the next time you don't want to go to the gym.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

It's simple. When you want it, you'll do it.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    It's simple. When you want it, you'll do it.
    thats what it really comes down to for most of us.

Walk outside and find that guy who you think is outta shape and think how much you DON'T wanna be him. Then look and see how close you are to being THAT GUY.
    Next, look at some guy who you want to be similar to, and awknowledge that he got that way through WORK and that should make you want to stop sliding down towards the first one. I'd hate to fall into being THAT GUY. I like the guy who had to WORK. Trust me, the women like the worker alot better, and so do the majority of ppl.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

idaman said it best............"you cant explain will power"
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Down with the Sickness
    From what i gather from what you posted you are probably a binge drinker on the weekend and eat fast food like most college age or young bucks do. If you quit going out late and change your diet to eat healthy or clean your motivation and results will increase.

The way to break bad work out habits is to write everything down as far as your routine goes. I have a log and i take it to the gym with me everytime and look at what i did the week before in I.E bench, flyes, deadlift, squat whatever i did in that workout and try to progress forward, alot of times i feel like making a workout easy but looking at the week before keeps me from becoming lazy and makes me push myself to beat what i did last week, or atleast reach what i did last week.

gonaherpasyphilaids
    do what ya want, cuz you will anyway
    I bet the main reason the police keep people away from a plane crash is they don't want anybody walking in and lying down in the crash stuff, then, when somebody comes up, act like they just woke up and go, "What was THAT?!" jack handy

Under Construction
    My gym is near a WalMart. If I feel unmotivated I go in the store and walk around with a good x-section of society. That is all it takes.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Banned
    What everyone else mentioned is good advice but I wanted to add something else. This is just my personal opinion but first you need to ask yourself why you are lifting weights in the first place. Is it something you are doing for yourself (health reasons, tired of being too skinny/overweight...) or are you doing it for "someone" other than yourself (to impress the lady folk, because your really into yourself and your trying to impress everyone...). Here is why and this is personal experience. If you lift to change yourself to impress others you may soon find yourself without motivation. Your body does not change overnight so if you expect people to come up to you and say "Wow you look awesome", "Great body" or whatever, it's not going to happen right away. It's easy to see why someone may not have the motivation if no one notices all the hard work you put into it. However when you do it for yourself and YOU start to notice your body changing it is easy to keep motivated. What person sets a goal to work hard in the gym to gain/lose 10, 20, 30 lbs and starts to work out, gains/loses 5 lbs and then says I have no motivation to continue? When you do it for the reasons that are important to you and you alone then notice the changes it is making in your life it makes it a little easier to keep going. The biggest thing that is a must is to have goals. If you have nothing to work towards it really makes no since to go through the motions if you don't even know why you are doing it. It's up to each of us to decide what's important to us and what's not. If lifting is really important to you then you will find the motivation. Keep at it and it will happen.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I gotta add my 2 cents...

Willpower and lifting hasn't really been a problem for me since I started in January 2003. I have missed days at the gym but after I do I feel terrible about it and bust my ass twice as hard the next time. I'm not really sure why I work out honestly. Part of it is because I want to be healthy, part is to impress others, and part is to feel better about myself. Whatever the reason, I keep doing it.

Diet and cardio is my biggest problem, much like the thread starter. I have no problem eating healthy foods. I can eat oatmeal, tuna, natty pnut butter, ect. all day long. But I love to drink beer. I work at a microbrewery and it is such a temptation everyday I go to work since I get free beer. I am bulking now so it isn't the biggest deal when I have a beer after work, but it isn't good. When I was cutting I tried to only drink one time per week, but being a 21 year old that loves beer, it's hard.

All I can tell you is to track your sh-t on www.fitday.com and keep telling yourself that what you are doing is right, and you will benefit in the end. If your people go out to the bar, go with them and drink water or diet coke. Don't eat sh-tty bar food, go to the store and pick up some healthy stuff that is easy to make. keep your belly full of protein, healthy fats, and carbs and you will see great results. I say I have given 110% to lifting and 75-80% to diet since I started lifting and I have seen great results.

Just don't give up man. We don't wanna lose you to the other side.... lol

and when u are getting a$$ just because some girl at a party loved your swole wrist flexors, you'll thank yourself
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Da Tejas
    Damn I knew wrist flexors were a deal breaker. I am going to get all my **** in order then bust my ass harder than I ever have before. I will make an online journal and make sure I am posting my results so I no longer have to answer to myself but everyone out there. I know no supplement will take the place of motivation, and just to make sure I don't sell myself short, I am going to stay clear of supps for awhile until I get back on the road to the Arnold Classic. Keep posting. Cuz I'm still reading. This thread has been a big help

Don't stay motivated. Take a few weeks off and do something completely different.

Play sports, go for a hike, take up martial arts, whatever. Just make it different.

You'll find you start missing weights, and you'll be eager to get back to it.

As for diet, don't stress over it for a while, and if you're doing some cardio (like sports, hiking, you get the idea) it will be fine.

All I have to do is look in the mirror. That's motivation enough right there.

And if that's not enough, the feeling that I could eat a horse after a really great workout is.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

How do you get motivated about something? How do you become passionate about a goal?

Is motivation generated by an inner core of one's being? Can we create our own motivation? Is motivation only available to a select few people?

This is a question many people ask themselves. This is a question we all must ask ourselves.

We are motivated in all areas of our life. We must be motivated to get up in the morning. We must be motivated to drive our car. We must be motivated to go to work.

If we are not motivated to do something, we don't do it. If you don't want to go to work, and you don't need to go to work, you won't do it.

What is motivation?

Motivation is a balance in life, which must always be in the positive.

Motivation is energy.
    Motivation is power.
    Motivation is life.

Motivation can be created.

Motivation is a measurement of our will. Our will is a state of thoughts, concepts, and measures of value.

Motivation can be created from the following means of motivation. These are a measurement of values that cause us to act. They may be good actions. They may be bad actions. These measurements of values cause us to pursue either action.

Stimulation
    Money
    Sex
    Fame and recognition
    Health
    Education
    Self-improvement
    Peace

These values don't only operate on the levels of superstars and divas. They can operate on much smaller scopes. You receive a raise at work. Your significant other complements you on your appearance. You are honored by the community for your actions of contribution.

...The list goes on and on.

When pursuing a new goal, you must ask yourself the following questions. You must be brutally honest. You must find your core of your values.

What do you do that gives you pleasure?
    Why do you do the things you do?

Motivation is the application of your values. Motivation is the process of continually remembering your values. Motivation is pure energy. You must create your fuel on which you live. Without this fuel, you are on autopilot, navigating a course in which the path becomes dimmer the closer you get to your goal.

Below, we apply this concept to watching TV and list as many things that we like about the experience.

I watch TV because it gives me official time off.
    I like the sensation before watching a movie that I won't have to do anything for the next 2 hours.
    I love the the rush of stimulation that I get when watching a movie that I like or seeing a good football play.
    I like to see things I haven't seen before.
    I like to imagine myself in those situations.
    I like to break the monotony of everyday life.

These things are what motivate us to watch TV. This is an easy example because Television is an activity of direct stimulation.
    What do we do if we have an activity that the means of motivation are tied to complex opinions, concepts, and goals?

The Kicker

How would we apply this to lifting weights?

For the complex activities, we must identify our simple values:

Stimulation, Money, Sex, Fame and recognition, Health, Education, Self-improvement, Peace

Write these down. Next to each item, write the “I Want” and “I Don’t Want” values:

Stimulation:
    I want to feel the rush when I have a good lift
    I want to feel the rush when my lift #'s go up
    I want to feel the rush when I'm eating exactly what I'm supposed to eat

Money:
    I want to get a raise at work
    I want to make a lot of money
    I don't want to be poor

Sex:
    I want to look good
    I want to be more attractive to the opposite sex
    I want to improve my sexual stamina
    I don't want to be single for the rest of my life

Fame and recognition:
    I want to be noticed by people
    I want to be envied by people
    I don't want to be a “nobody”

Health:
    I want to be healthy now
    I want to live a longer life
    I want to enjoy the latter years of my life
    I don't want to die from heart failure

Education:
    I want to learn about my body
    I want to learn how to control my desires
    I don't want to be ignorant
    I don't want to just do what the majority of society does

Self-improvement:
    I want to set goals
    I want to consistently achieve my goals
    I don't want to float through life

Peace:
    I want to go to bed every day knowing that I did my best
    I don't want to regret what I have become

Were you brutally honest in what you do and don’t want?

I SAID BRUTALLY HONEST. These means for motivation may or may not apply to you. The important thing is that you must stop the civil war in your mind. Stop the rationalization. Stop the weak, halfway goals. Stop the “maybe’s”, the “But I’s”, and the “I wish’s”.

START BEING SERIOUS.

Internalize these means for motivation. Write them down. Look at everything in life through these concepts. Think about them every day, every hour, and every moment.

When I lift I write down my progress. I read these forums every day. I visualize myself reaching my next lifting goal. I look at people who complain about being unhealthy, but don’t do anything about it. I memorize the feeling I get when someone compliments me. I memorize the natural high I get when I have a good workout. I write down these feelings. I make my goals my life.

Motivation is power. It is limitless. It can apply to many aspects in your life. If you can find out your method remembering your values in order to maintain a higher energy level, you will be able to "cookie-cutter" these practices to other parts in your life.

This is why I lift.

When I stick to my routine, I create order in my life. I create power through execution of my goals. I become a stronger person, physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Motivation creates energy. Execution of your values creates power.

You can do this. Internalize these things and you will become a person of order, a person of energy, and a person of power. You will enjoy life. You will create your own life, instead of living in other peoples’ shadows.

DO IT.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

thanks for letting me post this. It really helped me to write it.
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

How I stay motivated:
    There is one person that I want to be better than, and I stare at his face every morning in the mirror.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

motivation comes from within. you can read or listen to a thousand sob stories and still not have your perspective changed. if there was a forumla for catalyzing people into action (not just in terms of exercise), then someone would be extremely rich. And no, those convulutated presentations with circular arguements that we call motivatinal seminars dont count

Excellent post, mickyjune. I feel like I understand myself better now.

Da Tejas
    HOMEYIELD, mickeyjune26...well said.

Footballer
    What would you rather look like
    A)

or

B)

If you choose B, you might aswell start walking your ass to the gym.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Goals:
    Journal - Pics - ...9

What's with all the talking, go lift, damnit!
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by mpi
    My gym is near a WalMart. If I feel unmotivated I go in the store and walk around with a good x-section of society. That is all it takes.
    Hey, mine too.