Thread: Back pain

Back pain

I've got quite bad pain in the middle of my back for four days now and it's not getting any better. It's not down to lifting either since i've had a week off and it came on during this. Can't really pin-point a certain time when i may have strained/pulled or injured it since the pain has gradually come on. Don't visit the docs often as they make you feel that you are wasting their time when you do. Any ideas? Worth getting checked out?
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Yes, it is worth getting checked out.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Jason, I would advise you to find another GP. We pay money to the NHS wether we want to or not, and you are entitled to the best service. I have a GP that I have been every 2 weeks or so for a couple of months concerning a skin condition that would not clear up. My GP was sympathetic and spent time examining and explaining what was happening, and prescribed me medication after medication until it got better. You should feel like you can go to the doc for whatever reason, and they should make you feel comfortable.

I've been deleted stronginthearm's Avatar
    well mate i tried moving to another docs in my area and on wanted to have me so i'am still at the same old bad doc still. but i've made a point of not seeing the doc that is out of date with helpimg you.

i sometimes get a pain there, when ive been running on concrete
    clears up in a few hours tho, prolly best to get a good check up
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Well it was even worse today when i woke. Got it checked out today and the doc just sent me to the hospital for an X-ray. Won't know results of that until Thursday at earliest. Didn't get prescribed anything even though the doc could see that the pain is quite bad. Signed off work for the week at the moment... joy..

So still none the wiser...
    Last edited by J450n; 08-09-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J450n83
    Well it was even worse today when i woke. Got it checked out today and the doc just sent me to the hospital for an X-ray. Won't know results of that until Thursday at earliest. Didn't get prescribed anything even though the doc could see that the pain is quite bad. Signed off work for the week at the moment... joy..

So still none the wiser...
    Did you ask him to prescribe something for the pain? Did you inform him that you would have to call out of work for the week?

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

It was a woman Doctor. She seemed to be half listening which really didn't help. I had a Neumathorax (tear in the lung causing it to partially collapse) in 2002. She presummed it may be something to do with that i.e maybe it had reoccurred, i just think it was an easy way out and she took it. Hence the X-ray.

I told her i couldn't work with it and was told to fill in a self 'sick-note' for the week and maybe even longer. They can't get you out of their room quicker if they tried.
    Dug out the painkiller's i'd been prescribed in 2002 and have started taking them because i needed something.

Quote Originally Posted by J450n83
    It was a woman Doctor. She seemed to be half listening which really didn't help. I had a Neumathorax (tear in the lung causing it to partially collapse) in 2002. She presummed it may be something to do with that i.e maybe it had reoccurred, i just think it was an easy way out and she took it. Hence the X-ray.

I told her i couldn't work with it and was told to fill in a self 'sick-note' for the week and maybe even longer. They can't get you out of their room quicker if they tried.
    Dug out the painkiller's i'd been prescribed in 2002 and have started taking them because i needed something.
    I'd be careful with pain medication. If it's bad enough that you can barely move around, it may not be much of an issue.

But with back pain, you don't wanna get all hopped up on pain meds and then resume normal activities. You could do damage that you'll have to live with for the rest of your life. Just realize that pain meds only mask the damage - it's all still there.

I'm sorry your doctor sucks. Next time, ask for pain meds if you need them. Sure, some docs raise an eyebrow anytime they hear the words "pain medication" - those are the docs that simply cannot connect with what you're going through. There are many, many docs out there that have never been truly sick or in pain in their entire lives.

Pearls of Wisdom...

I'm not really going to be up to much until it improves. The meds are just to ease it slightly, hopefully make it easier to sleep. It'll hit me tomorrow morning. Can't train or work so it leaves me little else to do physically. Just hope it clear's soon. . .

I strained a muscle in my lower back doing deads and it is slightly painful and more so annoying, specially when sitting or getting out of a chair. I am fine to walk or laying down but twisting my body causes pain. I didn't go to a doc because he is just going to tell me a strained or pulled a muscle since I have done it many times in my life and know what it feels like.

What I want to know is what can I did you make it heal faster or relieve the pain and stress of it? Hot water bottle, massage,deep cold? Not sure what I should use.

Sorry to rob the thread but I didn't want to post another back pain topic lol.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 08-10-2004 at 01:36 PM.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

X-ray was clear. Nothing showed up. Doesn't stop it hurting like hell and i'm still none the wiser. Joy.

I've been deleted stronginthearm's Avatar
    don't you think you could still be grow at your age i did'nt stop growimg until i was 22 and that hurt like hell in the mornings

Erm no. I stopped growing a while back. I am 6 ft 2 afterall. My back was injured in that warehouse at work.